Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Alternative and Survival Medicine > Herbarium

Herbarium A place for discussing alternative medicine in all its forms.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Thanked 2,291 Times in 1,033 Posts
Default Pain relief help.

I have a very labor intensive job that requires a lot of heavy lifting, bending over 100+ times an hour and grabbing things. I'm so sore at the end of the day that I am often in tears and many times unable to get out of the car without help. My body is snickering at the motrin and advil I feed it. Is there an herbal something that is a heavy duty pain reliever?

Going to the doc is not in the plan. I already know what I will be told. Slow down, go on light duty and here is a script for tylenol 3 or what ever their narcotic of choice is. That stuff upsets my stomach and I don't care to add stomach cramps and vomiting to my list of hurts.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
spinnerholic
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,363 Times in 399 Posts
LDW, listen to your body, gal. It's telling you it can't handle the job you are doing!

Any chance you can go on light duty permanently?

Peace on Earth and Goodwill to All.
spinnerholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Not where I am now. I've got resumes out but haven't had any bites yet. In the mean time I need to find some non narcotic relief that is stronger than 3 advil.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
pamcat
Member Level 1

My sister takes 4 Advil (generic) with a Mountain Dew. She swears it helps possibly the caffeine but watch for stomach upset

I had severe pain from psoriatic arthritis and was taking about 20 aspirin a day to help with the pain until my md said stop. He said I would end up in the ER with a bleeding ulcer.

I take tylonol during the day and one darvocet and one muscle relaxer at the end of the day. I am in pain but at least I know I will have relief at night
pamcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,248 Times in 4,503 Posts
LvDemWings, do you have swelling or numbness and tingling? If so you may have injured your muscles. If it's simply a matter of overworking them, take ibuprofin. It does help, even though not nearly enough. I'd ice the worst areas as soon as you get home, then take a warm bath. The constricting and opening of the blood vessels helps the healing process. When you are out of the bath, have DH give you a good massage to ease the pain. Then rest and elevate your legs to help your circulation. Try some Tylenol PM before bed to help you sleep.
“When the situation was manageable it was neglected, and now that it is thoroughly out of hand we apply too late the remedies which then might have effected a cure. There is nothing new in the story. It is as old as the sibylline books. It falls into that long, dismal catalogue of the fruitlessness of experience and the confirmed unteachability of mankind. Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong–these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history.”
— Winston Churchill, House of Commons, 2 May 1935.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
Lv, are you drinking enough water? After going to the massage therapist, I have to drink a lot to get rid of the junk the muscles are releasing, if I don't I hurt. Maybe the same principle at work? And have you tried taking the Advil or Motrin BEFORE starting work, instead of when the muscles start hurting? They advise you to give your kid Tylenol BEFORE they get their vax, not after. And have you tried Aleve? My aunt gave me some when I was sleeping in a chair at hospice with my mom, and it wiped my muscle-induced headaches right off the map.

Sorry you're stuck in that job.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #7
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

I have some swelling, numbness and tingling in my hands especially my thumbs. I'd love to take a hot bath but I can't move well enough to get out of the tub. I did take a really long hot shower with the water up high and the shower head massager on pulsate. It felt good but I ran out of hot water way sooner than I would have liked.

rb plain water gives me heart burn pretty bad but I have been drinking cold green tea. I drink about 60 ounces over the course of the day to stay hydrated. I have not tried the Aleve yet. The store has been out for 2 weeks now. I'm afraid to take something in the morning before work because I worry that I'll really over do because the pain is masked. I have made sure to eat more lean protein and taking my multi-vitamin every day.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #8
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,248 Times in 4,503 Posts
LDW, ache is a sign of overuse. You stretch the muscles and they hurt until they build up the structure needed to keep up with what you demand of them. But when you have swelling, numbness and tingling, that is a sign you are doing physical damage, such as tearing your muscles. At that point you really should STOP what is causing the injury, but I understand the situation you're in. Try wrapping your hands and wrists in ace bandages before work, or get yourself a brace at a med supply store. You need help to support those muscles.
“When the situation was manageable it was neglected, and now that it is thoroughly out of hand we apply too late the remedies which then might have effected a cure. There is nothing new in the story. It is as old as the sibylline books. It falls into that long, dismal catalogue of the fruitlessness of experience and the confirmed unteachability of mankind. Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong–these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history.”
— Winston Churchill, House of Commons, 2 May 1935.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:09 PM   #9
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Your right on the brace. I had forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder. I did try and remember to watch my thumbs. They tend to get bent backwards and that puts a lot of stress on the joint.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,602 Times in 1,473 Posts
I'm glad you are not going to take Aleve in the mornings. A friend found out that's why she keeps falliung asleep at work in the mornings. After she changed to taking it at night the problem stopped.
Feather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:35 AM   #11
occupant
Infosponge

LV, Please No, NO, NO, on the Aleve.That is naproxen, it will wear a hole in your gutt,believe me. I'm sure I have one from years of naproxen use for shoulder injuries, I just refused to get a endoscopy to confirm it before my insurance ran out.If honey is relieving your gutt pain, I'm still thinking you may have H.Pylori ulcer which is cured with a couse or two of strong antibiotics and acid reducers, diagnosed with a simple blood test. Please do yourself a favor and visit the gastro Dr. while you still have insurance. When my company closed, my COBRA monthly payment would have been $579.00 per month for the same coverage I had all those years. Not Do-able, so no insurance now.
occupant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:42 PM   #12
veggiecanner
Member Level 1

get some magnesium, calcium and potasium pills. Take them with ibuprofin.
veggiecanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:27 PM   #13
sandyd
Beach Fun

Thanked 1,638 Times in 679 Posts
I've tried, with some success with each, Osteo Bi-flex, MSM and Serra Gold.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #14
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 4,172 Times in 1,723 Posts
Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory. Natural alternatives include any dark red, purple, black or blue fruits. I make a powdered mix from Noni, Assai, Mangosteen and acerola powders I get by the pound from Herbalcom. I just mix it with one pound of each then add a couple of teaspoonsful to a little bit of warm water to dissolve them then top the drink off with 100% purple grapejuice. IMO it works quite nicely and I've shared the recipe with others who rave about it. Herbalcom prices are very reasonable and perhaps you can go in on the purchase with a friend to cut costs.

Bromelain and Papain are anti-inflammatories as well.

Aloe Vera juice contains a broad range of glyconutrients that assist healing soft tissue.
Just don't over do it or you'll pay for it in the end

Arnica gel/lotion seems to be a good remedy for sore, achy muscles. I use it in my massage practice. Speaking of massage......If you can find a good therapist, a massage might do you a world of good.

About that hot shower, please tell me you're not taking it and then curling up in bed. Thats a bad thing! Try doing some light stretching, perhaps even some gently yoga after that shower while you're muscles and connective tissue is soft and pliable.

Flourbug's advice is spot on about the icepacks for the really achy places as soon as you get home. The other suggestions she gave are sage as well.

Getting good rest is mightily important too. Thats when your body heals soft tissues.

Good luck LDW. Be wise about all of this OK?

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #15
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

Thanked 2,846 Times in 1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by occupant View Post
LV, Please No, NO, NO, on the Aleve.That is naproxen, it will wear a hole in your gutt,believe me. .

I wonder if that's what's wrong with my stomach!! My doc told me last October to quit taking ibuprofin and switch to 2 Aleve, twice a day.
drummagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #16
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

BG thanks for the suggestions. I'll look around and give them a try. Hopefully they will work better than the advil/motrin. Topical may be the way to go. I don't hop into bed right after a shower but I don't move around a whole lot either. Trying some simple stretches afterward is probably a good idea.

Tags
pain, relief