Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Flu Prep

Flu Prep This room is dedicated only to discussion of medical preparation for flu and the mitigation of the spread or symptoms of influenza. Please use the Prep Room for generic prep discussions (food, water, security, etc.)

Old 10-31-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Default Onions and Flu

This is FALSE on snopes but I thought it was interesting anyway...

Onions and Flu
Netlore Archive: H1N1 Swine Flu Myths
By David Emery, About.com
Forwarded email claims placing sliced onions around the home will 'collect' or 'absorb' any flu virus present and protect members of the household from coming down with influenza.

Email example contributed by Marv B., Oct. 7, 2009:

Subject: Fwd: Fw: ONIONS FOR COLLECTING THE FLU VIRUS

In 1919 when the flu killed 40 million people there was this Doctor that visited the many farmers to see if he could help them combat the flu. Many of the farmers and their family had contracted it and many died.

The doctor came upon this one farmer and to his surprise, everyone was very healthy. When the doctor asked what the farmer was doing that was different the wife replied that she had placed an unpeeled onion in a dish in the rooms of the home, (probably only two rooms back then). The doctor couldn't believe it and asked if he could have one of the onions and placed it under the microscope. She gave him one and when he did this, he did find the flu virus in the onion. It obviously absorbed the virus, therefore, keeping the family healthy.

Now, I heard this story from my hairdresser in AZ. She said that several years ago many of her employees were coming down with the flu and so were many of her customers. The next year she placed several bowls with onions around in her shop. To her surprise, none of her staff got sick. It must work.. (And no, she is not in the onion business.)

The moral of the story is, buy some onions and place them in bowls around your home. If you work at a desk, place one or two in your office or under your desk or even on top somewhere. Try it and see what happens. We did it last year and we never got the flu.

If this helps you and your loved ones from getting sick, all the better. If you do get the flu, it just might be a mild case..

Whatever, what have you to lose? Just a few bucks on onions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Analysis: There's no scientific basis for this old wives' tale, which dates at least as far back as the 1500s, when it was believed that distributing raw onions around a residence guarded against the bubonic plague. This was long before germs were discovered, of course, and a prevalent theory held that contagious diseases were spread by miasma, or "noxious air." It was apparently believed that onions, whose absorbent qualities had been well known since ancient times, could cleanse the air by trapping harmful odors.

"When a home was visited by the plague," writes Lee Pearson in Elizabethans at Home (Stanford: Stanford University Press, 1957), "slices of onion were laid on plates throughout the house and not removed till ten days after the last case had died or recovered. Since onions, sliced, were supposed to absorb elements of infection, they were also used in poultices to draw out infection."

In the ensuing centures the technique remained a staple of folk medicine, with application not only as a preventative for the plague, but to ward off all kinds of epidemic diseases, including smallpox, influenza, and other "infectious fevers." It even outlasted the concept of miasma, which began to give way to the germ theory of infectious disease in the late 1800s.

This transition is illustrated by passages from two different 19th-century texts, one of which claims that sliced onions will absorb a "poisonous atmosphere," while the other says onions can absorb "all the germs" in a sickroom.

"Whenever and wherever a person is suffering from any infectious fever," we read in Duret's Practical Household Cookery, published in 1891, "let a peeled onion be kept on a plate in the room of the patient. No one will ever catch the disease, provided the said onion be replaced every day by one freshly peeled, as then it will have absorbed the whole of the poisonous atmosphere of the room, and become black."

"It has been repeatedly observed that an onion patch in the immediate vicinity of a house acts as a shield against the pestilence," states the Western Dental Review, published in 1887. "Sliced onions in a sick room absorb all the germs and prevent contagion."

There is, of course, no more scientific basis for the belief that onions absorb all the germs in a room than for the belief that they rid the air of "poisons."

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/med...ns_and_flu.htm
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:01 AM   #2
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,220 Times in 2,046 Posts
Quote:
She gave him one and when he did this, he did find the flu virus in the onion.
In 1918... That tells any flubie here that this IS just an urban legend.
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:01 AM   #3
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
LOL, yeah. Viruses were unknown back then & in any case, the only was to see a virus is under an electron microscope.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,553 Times in 4,609 Posts
Quote:
The moral of the story is, buy some onions and place them in bowls around your home.
It might work, but not for the reason you think.

When I was in my early 20's I developed allergies. I couldn't trace the source. No matter what I did, or ate, or where I was, my eyes constantly watered, my nose dripped, my ears were clogged, and I was generally a slobbery mess. The silver lining to that black cloud over my head was - I didn't get sick. Normally, I catch everything. I am a germ sponge and have no immunity at all. But for a full seven years, I did not have so much as a headcold. When I finally went to an allergist and found a way to control those allergies, I started getting sick again. It made sense to me that the reason I did not get sick when I had allergies was, there was so much flowing OUT nothing could swim upstream to get IN.

Onions make my eyes water and my nose run. A few bowls of pungent, fresh sliced onions placed around a room has got to be an irritant. Maybe enough to keep those random flu germs out of the body.
“When the situation was manageable it was neglected, and now that it is thoroughly out of hand we apply too late the remedies which then might have effected a cure. There is nothing new in the story. It is as old as the sibylline books. It falls into that long, dismal catalogue of the fruitlessness of experience and the confirmed unteachability of mankind. Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong–these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history.”
— Winston Churchill, House of Commons, 2 May 1935.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
dessismama
Member Level 1

My best friend from high school is pregnant with twins. Last month she got the swine flu--she put raw onion compresses on her chest and swears it helped kick the cough. She also took 7-10 grams of vitamin C a day and recovered in 5 days fully.
dessismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:03 AM   #6
Old Hawk
Elderest

Poultices of several varieties were the staples of home remedies in my youth.

OH
Old 11-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
Sarrah
Granny has danced 6,809 plus--->

My father was never sick a day in his life. He always told everyone. Eat onions. Eat onions all the time every day. Then he'd take a big onion and eat it like an apple and laugh.
He loved his spring onions, his little tiny creamed onions. He liked them raw, cooked, pickled, and right out of the earth. There was never an onion he didn't like.
He was never sick never.

I have heard the same from the old Ukrainian peoples on the prairie in regards to Garlic. Some eat so much garlic it seeps from their skin. The odor that is. Very little to no water on many places and they don't waste water bathing during the winter. Take them to the town and put them in a mall and there is no crowds that form around their area.

Last edited by Sarrah; 11-03-2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: fixing up my spelling and sentance structure. Yes I do try for sentence structure. ;)
Sarrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
Key
Member Level 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrah View Post
Take them to the town and put them in a mall and there is no crowds that form around their area.
That alone would provide some excellent protection from the flu.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #9
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Either Ukrainians don't use garlic anymore... or it doesn't work as a preventative very well.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

I dont know about viruses but my aunts all said eating onions gave you boobies... LMAO guess I liked onions too much
Old 11-04-2009, 04:48 PM   #11
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Quote:
I dont know about viruses but my aunts all said eating onions gave you boobies... LMAO guess I liked onions too much
Damn.... it was the onions..who knew?
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:11 PM   #12
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Had i known that, I'd have been eating a damned 2 pound bag a day! LOL
Old 11-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #13
Sonny
Star Witness

I'm getting a craving for liver and onions, anyone else?
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #14
ontariomom
Member Level 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
Had i known that, I'd have been eating a damned 2 pound bag a day! LOL
LOL! I missed this!

Well it's never too late Sue...you could always just stuff with 'em lol...just hope no one gives you any hugs or you have to make any sudden movements lol.
ontariomom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flu, onions