Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Lookout Tower

Lookout Tower ThisBlueMarble's sentinels keep watch in this tower for imminent danger. Threads here contain essential reports or information that Members need to know about NOW.

Old 09-25-2016, 02:08 AM   #26
Ter
Voluntary Exile

Thanked 1,934 Times in 676 Posts
Insanitary conditions ?
I believe everything we eat here in Bangladesh is raised, stored, transported and sold in insanitary conditions.
I wish i could import all those products here very cheap (that includes the two million Samsung Note 7's lol, and I will be very rich in no time.
Ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #27
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,207 Times in 3,358 Posts
Tyson is recalling some Panko Breaded Chicken Nuggets due to the presence of foreign matter.

This isn't a very big recall, and only some of the listed products were sold at the retail level. But, if you buy Tyson products, it's worth checking your freezer.

USDA News Release

Quote:
Tyson Foods Inc. Recalls Chicken Nugget Products Due To Possible Foreign Matter Contamination
Class I Recall
Health Risk: High
Sep 27, 2016

WASHINGTON, Sept. 27, 2016 – Tyson Foods Inc., a Sedalia, Mo. establishment, is recalling approximately 132,520 pounds of fully cooked chicken nugget products that may be contaminated with hard plastic, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

The fully cooked Panko Chicken Nuggets items were produced on July 18, 2016. The following products are subject to recall: [View Labels (PDF Only)]

5-lb. bag containing “Tyson FULLY COOKED PANKO CHICKEN NUGGETS” with a “Best If Used By” date of July 18, 2017 and case code 2006SDL03 and 2006SDL33.
20-lb. bulk packages containing “SPARE TIME Fully Cooked, Panko Chicken Nuggets, Nugget Shaped Chicken Breast Pattie Fritters With Rib Meat” with a production date of July 18, 2016 and case code 2006SDL03.

The products subject to recall bear establishment number “EST. 13556” printed adjacent to the “Best If Used By” date on the back of the package. The 20-pound cases were shipped for institutional use in Pennsylvania and the five-pound bags were shipped to retail locations nationally.

The problem was discovered after the firm received consumer complaints regarding foreign material contamination of chicken nugget products. According to Tyson Foods, the plastic material ranged in size from 21mm in length and 6.5mm in diameter and may have come from a round, hard plastic rod used to connect a plastic transfer belt. The firm said the products pass through a metal detector, but the plastic is not detectable to this technology.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire

Last edited by Catbird; 09-27-2016 at 05:40 PM. Reason: add source
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
Feather (09-27-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 09:00 PM   #28
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Sabra Dipping Company Issues Voluntary Recall Of Certain Hummus Products Because Of Possible Health Risks

The itemized list is way too long to post here. In general, it looks like all flavors of the non-organic product line are included in the recall. Check the link for the full list.

For Immediate Release
November 19, 2016

Contact
Sabra Consumer Relations
1-866-265-6761

Quote:
Announcement

Colonial Heights, VA - Sabra Dipping Co., LLC is voluntarily recalling certain hummus products made prior to November 8, 2016 due to concerns over Listeria monocytogenes, which was identified at the manufacturing facility but not in tested finished product. The recall includes the products listed below; these were distributed to retail outlets, including food service accounts and supermarkets, in the U.S. and Canada.

...Consumers with any product with a “Best Before” date up through January 23, 2017 are urged to discard it. Consumers can find code and “Best Before” date on the lid of each package.

...No other Sabra products are affected. In particular, Sabra products not included in the recall are: Sabra Organic Hummus, Sabra Salsa, Sabra Guacamole and Sabra Greek Yogurt Dips.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:17 PM   #29
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Massive, non-food recall of metal blades used in Cuisinart's food processors. This recall includes products sold over a lengthy amount of time - years in some cases. Please note that this recall has been issued in tandem with Canada, as these products were also sold in Canadian stores.

Cuisinart will replace affected blades for free.

From Consumer Product Safety Commission:
Cuisinart Food Processors Recalled by Conair Due to Laceration Hazard

Quote:
Recall number: 17-050

Name of product:
Cuisinart® food processors
Hazard:

The food processor’s riveted blade can crack over time and small, metal pieces of the blade can break off into the processed food. This poses a laceration hazard to consumers.
Remedy: Replace

Consumer Contact:

Cuisinart toll-free at 877-339-2534 from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET Monday through Friday and from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Saturday and Sunday or online at www.cuisinart.com and click on Product Recalls at the bottom of the page for more information on the voluntary recall.
From Cuisinart:
Food Processor Recall Information Page
Quote:
Riveted Blade in the following series of Cuisinart® Food Processors:

• CFP-9 • CFP-11 • DFP-7 • DFP-11 • DFP-14 • DLC-5 • DLC-7 • DLC-8 • DLC-10 • DLC-XP • DLC-2007 • DLC-2009 • DLC-2011 • DLC-2014 • DLC-3011 • DLC-3014 • EV-7 • EV-10 • EV-11 • EV-14 • KFP-7 • MP-14

The riveted blade may crack and a piece of the blade could detach, which may result in a laceration hazard.
Go to the linked page for info on how to get a free replacement blade. The website has been slammed since this was announced yesterday. It's up and down but, at the moment, it does seem to be working.

NowVoyager (12-14-2016)
Old 01-13-2017, 02:37 AM   #30
Ter
Voluntary Exile

Thanked 1,934 Times in 676 Posts
Default http://www.daily-sun.com/post/198172/One-of-Nutella%E2%80%99s-ingredients-is-cancerous:-Report

One of Nutella’s ingredients is cancerous: Report

UNB 13th January, 2017 01:49:13 printer

A recent report has claimed that one of the ingredients of Nutella, the sweetened hazelnut cocoa spread manufactured by the Italian company Ferrero, is cancerous.

The chocolate spread relies on palm oil for its smooth texture and considerably long shelf life, reports dailymail. co.uk.

A report by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) declared it to be more carcinogenic than any other oil, following similar claims by the WHO.

Following the release of the report, the manufacturer Ferrero has launched a televised campaign, insisting they use palm oil in a way that is not dangerous.

The commercial insists the spread would not be the same without refined palm oil.

The detailed EFSA report, published in May 2016, said palm oil is more dangerous than other vegetable oils when refined at temperatures above 200 degrees Celsius.

High temperatures are used to remove palm oil's natural red color and neutralize its smell.

This process, however, causes contaminants called glycidyl fatty acid esters (or, GE) to form.

When digested, GE has a tendency to break down and release glycidol, a compound strongly believed to cause tumors.

According to a report by the US National Institutes of Health, oral exposure to glycidol has caused tumors at many different tissue sites in lab mice and lab rats.

However, Ferrero says it uses an industrial process that combines a temperature of just below 200C and extremely low pressure to minimize contaminants.

'Making Nutella without palm oil would produce an inferior substitute for the real product, it would be a step backward,' Ferrero's purchasing manager Vincenzo Tapella said.

He features in a TV commercial aired in Italy over the past three months that has drawn criticism from politicians as they call for palm oil to be banned.

'The palm oil used by Ferrero is safe because it comes from freshly squeezed fruits and is processed at controlled temperatures,' Tapella says in the TV ad, which was filmed at the firm's factory in the northern town of Alba and was accompanied by full-page ads in newspapers carrying the same message.

It is this 'refining' process that Nutella's makers boast about so fiercely on their website's 'ingredients' section.

'Palm oil is used in Nutella to give the product its creamy texture, as well as to heighten the flavor of its ingredients, thanks to its properties that enable it to have a neutral odor and taste after the refining process,' the website reads.

'Furthermore, it is the best ingredient for giving Nutella the right smoothness, guaranteeing its special spreadability,' it continues.

The description even goes as far as to claim palm oil protects consumers from demonic 'trans fats': 'Above all, avoiding the hydrogenation process that would produce otherwise unhealthy trans fats.'

It concludes: 'Palm fruit oil also helps to maintain the unique taste of Nutella along its whole shelf life, due to its higher stability to oxidation compared to other vegetable oils.'

EFSA does not have the power to make regulations, though officials will be issuing guidance towards the end of the year.

Measures could include regulations to limit the level of GE (genetic engineering) in food products, but there will not be a ban on the use of palm oil.

The World Health Organization and the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization flagged the same potential risk that EFSA had warned of regarding GE, but did not recommend consumers stop eating palm oil.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration also has not banned the use of palm oil in food.

For now, Ferrero is taking the opportunity to appeal directly to consumers.

The hazelnut and chocolate spread, one of Italy's best-known food brands and a popular breakfast treat for children globally, is a dominant voice in the food sector.

http://www.daily-sun.com/post/198172...cerous:-Report

Add to that :
the last original rain forests are being destroyed to culture palm oil.

And anyway, Nutella is mainly fat, it is not a real choco paste.
Ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:04 PM   #31
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,511 Times in 2,752 Posts
Ok at what levels were the rats fed the ingredient?

Levels consistent with human consumption of Nutella?

Pounds or kilograms a day?

You can die from drinking too much water.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:31 PM   #32
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

I just wanted to update y'all on the blade recall by Cuisinart. I have to say that I can't remember a recall with substitution that has worked as well as this one has. Many times, in a situation like this, the manufacturer wants all kinds of info like purchase date and place, or some serial # written in microscopic print on the inside of a part, etc. But, in this case, aside from signing up for the recall on their website, I haven't had to do anything else.

I received my new blade a couple of days ago. The return address shows that it actually comes from Conair. It's very well packaged, tucked into rigid Styrofoam to prevent any chance of being accidentally cut while opening the package. There's an instruction sheet included to explain how to safely remove the new blade from the packaging. The instructions then go on to recommend that the old blade be placed in that same packaging before being disposed of, again to prevent the possibility of anyone getting cut.

I signed up for the replacement several days after the announcement, which was made on Dec. 14th. So it took almost exactly 1 month to get the replacement.

This is a good example of how a respected manufacturer should handle a safety recall. I've always liked Cuisinart products and now, after this positive experience, I'm going to make an effort to buy that brand whenever it's product meets my needs, even if it costs a bit more.

I wish other companies would follow their example.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:22 PM   #33
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Major cheese recall due to listeria, again. This is one of those cascading types of recalls, where a little-known supplier processes items for numerous customers who then have to recall multiple products under their brand names.

The original manufacturer is Deutsch Kase Haus, LLC and some of their products were sliced and packaged by MDS Foods in a facility located in TN. The TN Dept. of Agriculture made the initial discovery while performing routine testing at the MDS plant in Tullahoma, TN. So far, the recall includes Ruth's, Meijer's, Amish Classic, and Sargento products. But there may be more as the investigation is still ongoing.

There are FDA notices for the Ruth's brand products, and those sold under the name of the Meijer grocery store. Sargento is issuing a voluntary recall even though the FDA hasn't made it official yet. The Amish Classic brand has been officially recalled by the TN Dept. of Agriculture.

Meijer Recalls Meijer Brand Colby and Colby Jack Deli Cheeses Because of Possible Health Risk
Quote:
Meijer is announcing a recall of its Meijer Brand Colby Cheese and Colby Jack Cheese sold exclusively through its deli counters due to a potential contamination with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems...

The Meijer Brand Colby Cheese and Colby Jack Cheese were sold in Meijer stores from Nov. 10, 2016 to Feb. 9, 2017. There have been no known illnesses reported to Meijer from the product affected by this recall.

Meijer received notice of a possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination from MDS Foods, a Meijer supplier that sources the Meijer branded cheeses from Deutsch Kase Haus, a cheese manufacturer based in Middlebury, Indiana. MDS Foods informed Meijer that evidence of potential Listeria monocytogenes contamination had been identified by the manufacturer.

The recalled product will be in plastic deli packaging with printed labels that have the UPCs 215927xxxxxx or 215938xxxxxx – the last 6 digits will vary, and are determined by weight since the product was purchased at the deli counter.

Customers should stop using the product and either dispose of it or return it to the customer service desk at any Meijer store for a full refund. For additional information, please contact Meijer at (800) 543-3704, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Ruth’s Salad Charlotte NC Expands Recall of Ruth’s Salads Pimento Spreads due to Possible Health Risk. May Contain Listeria Monocytogenes (See link for specific UPC's)

Quote:
Ruth’s Salads Charlotte, NC is expanding the recall of Ruth’s Salads Pimento Cheese Spreads packed in Chester, SC. The products involved include: Ruth’s Original Pimento Spread 7oz; Ruth’s Original Pimento Spread 12 oz.; Ruth’s Original Pimento Spread 24 oz.; Ruth’s Old Fashion Pimento Spread 16 oz.; Ruth’s Jalapeno Pimento Spread 12 oz.; Ruth’s Lite Pimento Spread 12 oz.; and Ruth’s Cream Cheese with Pineapple-Pecans 12 oz. All lot numbers are included in this recall. The products are packed in plastic containers and labeled as “Packed by B&H Foods, Inc., Chester, SC”. The products have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria Monocytogenes...

All lots and Sell by Dates for products labeled as “Packed by B&H Foods, Inc., Chester, SC” are being recalled. Products labeled as packed in Charlotte, NC are not included in this recall...

The recalled products were distributed in grocery stores in NC, SC, GA, TN, AL, KY, and parts of Virginia and Tennessee.

The contamination was discovered during random testing by the NC Department of Agriculture. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 800-532-0409 between the hours of 7AM and 3 PM Monday-Friday.
Update From Sargento After Supplier Recall

Quote:
Sargento Foods Inc. is closely monitoring and gathering information prompted by the Deutsch Kase Haus, LLC Longhorn Colby cheese recall. The supplier, based in Middlebury, Ind., notified Sargento Foods Inc. that a specialty Longhorn Colby cheese it supplied to Sargento must be recalled due to a potential contamination of Listeria monocytogenes. There are no confirmed illnesses.

Our valued consumers have been contacting us with their questions and concerns. We will continue to respond to our consumers and activate reimbursements. Please call 1-800-CHEESES (1-800-243-3737) or email us via the “Contact Us” page on Sargento.com. Phone calls will be answered from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Central Time); emails should get a response within 24 hours.

The recalled retail products are:
  • Sargento Ultra Thin Sliced Longhorn Colby, 6.84 oz., UPC 4610000228, with “Sell By” dates of “12APR17B” and “10MAY17B”
  • Sargento Chef Blends Shredded Nacho & Taco Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040041, with “Sell By” dates of “H14JUN17” and “H12JUL17”

Out of an abundance of caution, Sargento also recalled the following products because they were packaged on the same line as the affected cheese:
  • Sargento Sliced Colby-Jack Cheese, 12 oz., UPC 4610000109 with “Sell By” date of “11JUN17B”
  • Sargento Sliced Pepper Jack Cheese, 12 oz., UPC 4610000108 with “Sell By” dates of “12JUN17B”, “09JUL17B” and “10JUL17B”
  • Sargento Chef Blends Shredded Taco Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040002 with “Sell By” dates of “H14JUN17” and “F28JUN17”
  • Sargento Off The Block Shredded Fine Cut Colby-Jack Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040014 with “Sell By” date of “F05JUL17”
  • Sargento Off The Block Shredded Fine Cut Cheddar Jack Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040076 with “Sell By” date of “F05JUL17”
Amish Classics brand recall codes
Quote:
The specific brand and flavor of cheese that tested positive for Listeria monocytogenes was distributed by MDS Foods, an Ohio-based company. MDS Foods cut and packaged cheese from Deutsch Kase Haus LLC in a manufacturing facility located in Tullahoma, TN, before distributing it under the Amish Classics brand.

“The manufacturer, Deutsch Kase Haus LLC, is instructing all wholesalers and retailers to discontinue selling their existing stock of Amish Classic Colby deli horns distributed by MDS Foods under the Amish Classic label with item number 55209 and sold as sliced deli cheese. They are also recalling lot numbers 110316V02, 110316V03 and 110316V04,” according to the notice on the Tennessee agriculture department website.

The company is also removing packaged Amish Classic Colby Cheese with item numbers 55241 and 55245 which were cut from the suspect 55209 product and wrapped at the MDS Foods manufacturing facility located in Tullahoma, Tenn.

flourbug (02-12-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #34
AndreaCA
one of those hopelessly disorganized people

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,440 Posts
Tumeric recall due to excessive lead contamination.
http://www.realfarmacy.com/turmeric-lead-recall/
Old 02-16-2017, 05:16 PM   #35
Cactus Az

Metal fragments prompt Blue Buffalo dog food recall

The company announced on its website that 12.5-ounce cans of Blue Buffalo Homestyle Recipe Healthy Weight, Chicken Dinner with Garden Vegetables may contain aluminum fragments. The UPC code on the cans is 8-40243-10017-0. The "best by" date on the bottom of the can is August 3, 2019.

Metal fragments prompt Blue Buffalo dog food recall

Tags
alerts, market, recalls, safety, withdrawals