Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Ebola

Ebola News, information and discussions about prevention, spread, and treatment of Ebola. Also see our Ebola Wiki at ebola.thisbluemarble.com

Old 09-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #51
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaCA View Post
So what does the rest of the world do? Do we send in a military force? Or, do we use that military force to quarantine all infected countries, with deadly force if necessary, making humanitarian aid drops via drones/helicopters and allowing the disease to burn itself out?
If we don't the surrounding countries will do so. On the current trajectory, you have to think that will be happening soon. Of course, people will get through because the borders are very long and porous, with lots of isolated pockets.
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #52
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,744 Times in 2,134 Posts
Some additional details.

Quote:
Eight dead in attack on Ebola team in Guinea. ‘Killed in cold blood.’

The bodies of eight people, including several health workers and three journalists, have been found days after they were attacked while distributing information about Ebola in a Guinean village near the city of Nzerekore, according to Reuters.

"The eight bodies were found in the village latrine," Albert Damantang Camara, a spokesman for Guinea's government, told Reuters on Thursday. "Three of them had their throats slit."

When the delegation arrived on Tuesday to do disinfection work and educate people about preventing Ebola, angry and fearful residents began throwing rocks and beating people in the group with clubs according to the Los Angeles Times, which cited Guinean radio reports. The delegation, which included one local politician, fled into the bush to escape the attackers.

One journalist who managed to escape told reporters that she could hear the people looking for her while she hid, according to the BBC.

On Thursday, the bodies were found in the septic tank of a primary school in the village, according to Camara. They had been "killed in cold blood by the villagers," he added, according to the BBC.

Throughout this epidemic, public health officials have battled widespread fear and even doubts that the virus exists at all. The deadly attack illustrates the danger that health workers face as they try to spread information about the virus in an effort to control the deadliest Ebola outbreak in history.

The attack occurred in an area near where riots broke out last month because people feared that workers disinfecting a market were contaminating people, according to the BBC.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/t...were-attacked/
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #53
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Sierra Leone are you paying attention??

Quote:
Guinea Halts Part of Ebola Outreach After Seven Murdered

By Karim Camara
19 SEPTEMBER 2014

The Guinean government said it is stopping Ebola education activities in the country's southeast after seven missing health workers and journalists were murdered there this week. Two other workers remain missing.

Meanwhile, Sierra Leone Sierra Leone on Friday began a controversial nationwide three-day lockdown as it struggles to contain the deadly Ebola virus, which the U.N. Security Council this week declared a "threat to international peace and security."

In Guinea's southeastern town of Wome, the bodies of four Ebola campaigners and three local journalists traveling with them were discovered Thursday in a mass grave. They had been missing since angry residents attacked their convoy Tuesday.

The victims were traveling with a government delegation to Wome to raise awareness on Ebola.

Villagers attacked the convoy with stones and weapons and destroyed six vehicles. Other members of the delegation were beaten but managed to escape.

Team allegedly accused of lying

A local reporter told VOA by telephone that villagers accused the delegation of spreading lies about Ebola.

The delegation was trying to educate locals about Ebola, said Guinea's prime minister, Mohamed Said Fofanah. Villagers in Wome, as in other places, are still "intoxicated by information making them believed this sickness does not exist or was created to eliminate them."

Outreach activities have become "impossible" in the southeast, said Dr. Fanta Kabba, permanent secretary at the Ministry of Health. She said efforts there will now focus just on treating the sick.

"We are waiting for more details" and trying to figure out why locals resist, she said. "... Putting in place the strategies to fight Ebola has become impossible. We cannot act when we are being prevented from acting."

Third attack on health workers

This is third major attack on health workers in southeastern Guinea since the regional outbreak began there early this year.

Minister of Communication Alucine Makanera, who was in Wome, told VOA the murdered workers had marks indicating they were attacked with machetes and stones.

"We have the state prosecutor with us to find out the cause of the attack," Makanera said. "He has already opened judicial investigations, and within few days or weeks we should know more."

Many residents of Wome fled following the attack, he said, and security forces are deployed there now. Authorities have arrested at least six people in connection with the murders.

The incident has sent shock waves through the country, with many Guineans calling for strong sanctions against the culprits.
http://allafrica.com/stories/2014091...html?viewall=1
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #54
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Another group attacked. All stories I found have been AP, so here is a tweet by Yahoo news:

Yahoo ‏@Yahoo 53m
#RedCross team attacked while gathering bodies likely infected with #Ebola, stalling efforts:
Old 09-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #55
Sonny
Star Witness

I wonder How receptive these same people are going to be to being vaccinated?

?
Sonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #56
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
Not

At

All
Old 09-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #57
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
I wonder How receptive these same people are going to be to being vaccinated?

?
I wonder how receptive WE are going to be to being vaccinated. I know I'm not jumping up and down at the idea of getting vaccinated by something that was RUSH RUSH RUSHED to market.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #58
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

These vaccines & therapies hadn't, for the most part, been any closer to a human than the ones developing these vax & therapies.

I was really taken aback when the WHO went shotgun. "Let's authorize human use of everything in the piupeline developers will release for trial. Let's try any therapy where there's even a rumour that some component of it MIGHT help with some aspect of EVD."

Say, WHAT?

Every single controlled, cautious, strict protocoal, no undue haste, protocoal has been thrown out the widnow on this one. Convalescent serum too & that one is sketchy as hell, especiall if blood is taken, 'tested' & processed in Africa.

Our family policy is to avoid ALL new meds, even those that have gone through long accepted protocols until they've been on the market 5 years & any "oops!" type negative effects have been picked up. I'm having trouble imagining a scenario where I'd accpet an Ebola vaccine as it stands now, nor could I recommend the use of any to family or friends.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #59
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

If we are still alive in a couple of years , we can look back and connect the dots better. When you step back and look at it, the situation you mention "Every single controlled, cautious, strict protocol, no undue haste, protocol has been thrown out the window on this one" should be a major red flag that something is going on that is very serious, despite the protestations thats not easy to catch, won't be a problem here, the sick can't travel etc.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Exodia For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (09-24-2014), Catbird (09-24-2014), Sonny (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #60
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

That's why I was so alarmed.

If people who know the smallest amount about new drugs, medical experiments & protocols didn't pick up on that... they're soundly asleep. You DON'T throw all that out of the window because doing so is tantamount to saying: "We have no control. We doubt we can wrestle any degree of control out of this situation. Let's start throwing stuff at it & hope it sticks."

If the meetings underlying that decision had been peoples by a dozen or fewer medical types with spotty education or experience, I would have more easily rolled my eyes & not worried too much. But that wasn't the case - the attendees have the background & in many cases, field experience with many epidemics/outbreaks. The decisions was based on some thing or things nobody is openly sharing - although we're figuring it out, aren't we?
Old 09-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #61
flu-n-u
Member Level 1

Follow the money.

Anyone remember Tamiflu? Governments spent billions to stockpile it on the slim chance it would work, instead of buying things we know would be needed for flu, and *anything else* that might come along. Saline, gloves, administration sets...good contracts with hazardous waste management companies...

Someone made a fortune on Tamiflu. How much expired without being used? How many Blue Members want to use it, given what we now know about it's effectiveness and side effects?
flu-n-u is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flu-n-u For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (09-24-2014), NowVoyager (09-24-2014), Sonny (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 10:19 PM   #62
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

But we have no idea what works & that is one hell of a gamble for what is, essentially, a tiny piece of the Pharma money pile. If you're talking about potential Ebola vaccines or therapies, that is. It doesn't make sense - none of the therapies were close to human trials even for safety yet.

The small amount of money, (relatively speaking), to be gained by the manufacturers of any of the vax or therapies that work, pales in comparison to the huge amount of money that is being lost, that will be lost in many other sectors of our interlinked economies.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:20 AM   #63
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
Ebola: Roadblocks To Stop Health Workers

2:14pm UK, Thursday 25 September 2014

Roadblocks have reportedly been set up by residents in ebola-hit Guinea in a bid to stop health teams entering the area.

The number of people to die from deadly virus in West Africa has risen to nearly 3,000 - almost half of those so far infected - and further 'hotspots' were put under quarantine in an attempt to halt its spread.

But in some areas of Guinea, where an ebola team was killed last week, there was still resistance to such efforts, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said.

There are reports from the Fassankoni area that locals were setting up barricades to intercept ebola response teams trying to enter the region, WHO said.
http://news.sky.com/story/1341956/eb...health-workers
Old 09-25-2014, 09:47 PM   #64
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Alright then. As much as I hate to say it, these areas need to be barricaded off as completely as possible enlisting the aid of neighbouring communities to suss out hidden routes. It's certainly their choice not to co-operate with awareness/contact/treatment or burial teams. It is the rest of the nation & the world's choice if they want to let this impede the resolution of an already very precarious solution.
NowVoyager (09-25-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 08:23 AM   #65
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Yup, definitely stable in Guinea.

Quote:
Ebola: the Court of Appeal in Conakry suspends hearings and site staff under health control

Thursday, September 25, 2014 4:29 p.m. KALOUM PRESS

The Court of Appeal in Conakry has suspended hearings starting this Thursday, September 25 following the death of a secretary in August Ebola disease.

According to Ordinance No. 235 / PP / CA / 2014, hearings were suspended in all jurisdictions of the Court of Appeal in Conakry from today until the end of the incubation period of Ebola, which is 21 days, which corresponds to 12 October inclusive.

"Given the decree declaring the state health emergency ... say that the judiciary will submit to daily medical supervision during this period," according to the decision signed by Mr. Sall Kelefa, the first acting president of the Court .

The decision was approved by the Attorney General at the Court of Appeal in Conakry and the Bar.

According to reports from credible people working in this institution, a secretary died of Ebola last August while she was on leave.

But before her child was the first to die of the disease. Our sources indicate that the husband of the secretary and his stepmother also died of hemorrhagic fever thereafter.
http://kaloumpresse.com/guinee-polit...role-sanitaire
Old 09-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #66
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
Guinea Intensifies Ebola Screening at Sierra Leone Border

Karim Camara
September 30, 2014 9:44 AM

KINDIA, GUINEA —

Guinean security forces are intensifying their Ebola screening efforts at the border with Sierra Leone.

At the Madina Oula town crossing, people are subjected to rigorous health checks. Guinean security forces check for fever and instruct all travelers to wash their hands with soap before entering Guinea. - yup, that will take care of it.

Kindia, the district capital, is a short distance away - just 150 kilometers from the Guinean capital of Conakry.
http://www.voanews.com/content/guine...r/2467285.html
Old 10-01-2014, 06:33 PM   #67
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,556 Times in 4,609 Posts
Well isn't this just dandy. Boku Haram is collecting the bodies and clothing of Ebola victims to make a new version of the "kamikazi".

Original article in French: http://guineeinformation.fr/index.ph...-les-kamikazes

Translation: http://translate.googleusercontent.c...HhOMGZ89LWMYEA
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flourbug For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #68
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Oh Gawd..

they've already got 'personal objects' & clothing of victims.

I read the French article.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #69
D. Gale
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,703 Times in 712 Posts
That article is dated 1st April/Avril.
D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:35 PM   #70
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thank you... I freaked out & didn't check the date.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #71
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,556 Times in 4,609 Posts
ditto
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #72
andy
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,210 Times in 650 Posts
What difference does it make what date it WAS. It would appear the activity was a bad omen whenever it was done?!
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #73
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Bad omen yes but nothing has come of it.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #74
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Had to go back four pages for this thread. Be warned Liberia.

Quote:
Guinea Is Seeing More Ebola Cases: Can The Trend Be Stopped?

Jason Beaubien November 7, 2014

In the current Ebola crisis much of the focus has been on Liberia and Sierra Leone. But the virus also continues to spread in Guinea, the country where the first case in the current outbreak was identified in March.

According to the latest figures from the World Health Organization, Guinea has had fewer cases than either Sierra Leone (4,759) or Liberia (6,525). WHO has recorded 1,731 Ebola cases and 1,041 deaths in Guinea. This, however, is just a few dozen fatalities fewer than in Sierra Leone. And despite the lower numbers in Guinea, some data suggests the outbreak is spreading faster there than in the neighboring countries.

Goats and Soda spoke with Marc Poncin, response coordinator for Doctors Without Borders in the Guinean capital of Conakry to get a better picture of the outbreak.

Where does the epidemic stand in Guinea right now?

There's clearly been a new phase starting in mid-August. From mid-August until now we've seen a much higher number of cases compared to the first and second peaks of the epidemic. So we are clearly in a serious situation.

This Ebola outbreak first came to light in Guinea. Several times the outbreak has appeared to be almost finished. What happened?

Very clearly at the end of May we were almost over with the epidemic. Again at the end of July things were looking much better compared to the month before. I think that it's mainly the importation of cases from Sierra Leone and Liberia that creates a very difficult situation in Guinea. As of June when the epidemic began to hit the fan, there've been a lot of people leaving those countries [Liberia and Sierra Leone] to come back to their family [in Guinea]. Some of those people were sick without knowing it. When they were back, they started to show symptoms and contaminate their own family and the people around them. We've seen that many, many times. This explains why the epidemic re-launched and why it was very difficult to control it again.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsod...nd-be-stopped?
Old 11-12-2014, 12:16 AM   #75
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Quote:
Thousands of Guineans Displaced by Ebola-Linked Unrest

World | Agence France-Presse | Updated: November 12, 2014 08:27 IST

A group of Guinean activists went on hunger strike on Tuesday to demand the safe return of thousands of villagers they say have fled their homes amid Ebola-related unrest in the south.

The action follows the murders in September of an eight-member Ebola education team attacked by angry locals in Womey, a town at the epicentre of the deadly outbreak.

The army has been deployed in the town since the killings, and many inhabitants have fled to the surrounding forests, fearing reprisals by troops, according to residents and journalists who recently visited.
RELATED
New Zealand Parliament Gets Delivered a Bottle Labelled Ebola
Ebola Nurse to be Advocate for Health Workers
Don't Let Quarantine Hysteria Deter Ebola Health Workers: UN

"We are on hunger strike to demand the demilitarisation of Womey and the return of all local residents to their homes," said the group's spokesman Faya Millimono, the leader of an opposition party.

He and around 20 lawmakers, politicians, civil society activists and private citizens have not eaten since Monday, he said as they gathered at the country's parliament in the capital Conakry.
http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/th...url=1415765606

Tags
ebola, guinea, outbreak