Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News

News This is the forum where we post hard news and current events. If it is outside the box then that is where it goes. If it is your opinion, please write in the Op/Ed forum.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:06 AM   #1
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Exclamation Charlie Hebdo shooting: 11 dead after gunmen storm satirical magazine's HQ - Jan. 7, 2015

Charlie Hebdo - a French satirical magazine has suffered a terrorist attack. At least 11 dead. 2 armed suspects being sought. Looks like this was well planned & carried out by well armed individuals.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/charlie...s-hq-1.2892151

---------- Post added at 07:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 AM ----------

Added: I'm also seeing a lot of wounded being carried out.

All just developing.
flourbug (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 08:15 AM   #2
Ross
Lifetime Member

Thanked 5,762 Times in 2,598 Posts
Apparently the gunmen got away .

As an act of sympathy and defiance every form of media
in France should publish scornful images and the truth
about that brutal pedophile Mohammed .

What these religious bullies fear most is their deity being
exposed as a fraud and an asshole .

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
BuilderBob

On CNN in the UK now. 12 dead. Sounds bad. Lot of agitation.
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:18 AM   #4
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,642 Times in 2,104 Posts
There is a gruesome video of the attackers shooting and then executing a wounded police officer. I won't post it here, you can find it easily enough if you'd like.

This was no "lone wolf" or "nut-job" incident. This was a coordinated affair.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:34 AM   #5
Hollyberry
Member Level 4

Thanked 1,025 Times in 362 Posts
Gunmen's vehicle now located in Paris. 10 wounded, several critical. Two of the dead are police.

Eta: Pic of car shown below, but no more comments that it has been been found. Understandably info clarifying over time.

Last edited by Hollyberry; 01-07-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Hollyberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:40 AM   #6
Hollyberry
Member Level 4

Editor and 3 cartoonists amongst the dead.

Attackers still at large.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:42 AM   #7
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 6,617 Times in 2,860 Posts
France was involved, but now she is becoming increasingly committed.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:46 AM   #8
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

12 dead now. Apparently, security at the premises had been somewhat scaled back, recently. I'm quoting CNN on the last point. The magazine had suffered a firebomb attack back in 2011 - personally, I don't recall that but it's what may have initiated the extra security measures that had been in place.

Countries have GOT to stop hand wringing & get bloody serious about penalties for this sort of crap. Automatic death penalty to be carried out by female executioners & if it's death by firing squad, grease the rounds in pork fat. Hell, issue police rounds with a lubricant based on pork fat - whatever it takes.
linttrap (01-07-2015), NowVoyager (01-07-2015), sandyd (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 09:52 AM   #9
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 6,617 Times in 2,860 Posts
Good photos:

Twelve dead after gunmen armed with Kalashnikovs storm offices of French satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo after Prophet Mohammed cartoon storm
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...do-attack.html

'Massacre': The gunmen brandishing Kalashnikovs are seen
outside the offices of French satiricial newspaper Charlie Hebdo
Old 01-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #10
rryan
Deplorable

Thanked 1,452 Times in 659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
12 dead now. Apparently, security at the premises had been somewhat scaled back, recently. I'm quoting CNN on the last point. The magazine had suffered a firebomb attack back in 2011 - personally, I don't recall that but it's what may have initiated the extra security measures that had been in place.

Countries have GOT to stop hand wringing & get bloody serious about penalties for this sort of crap. Automatic death penalty to be carried out by female executioners & if it's death by firing squad, grease the rounds in pork fat. Hell, issue police rounds with a lubricant based on pork fat - whatever it takes.
I just want to clarify something---this whole urban mythology of pork fat/bacon/etc on a weapon keeping a Muslim from entering paradise is not a thing.

Do any Christians believe that if they get shot with a bullet that has 666 or some great blasphemy carved into it is going to cause them to be sent to hell because they were (obviously involuntarily) killed with it?

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:18 AM   #11
Hollyberry
Member Level 4

The BBC live updates page is here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-30710777

And the (translated) page from Le Monde

http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...r/&prev=search
Old 01-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #12
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 8,043 Times in 3,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rryan View Post
I just want to clarify something---this whole urban mythology of pork fat/bacon/etc on a weapon keeping a Muslim from entering paradise is not a thing.

Do any Christians believe that if they get shot with a bullet that has 666 or some great blasphemy carved into it is going to cause them to be sent to hell because they were (obviously involuntarily) killed with it?
No, Christians don't believe that, to the best of my knowledge.

The whole pork fat, using a dog against them, having a woman interrogate them or execute them, is about showing them their beliefs have no worth. It's an intentional insult to them.

And when you look at the scum terrorist and what they do, a little pork fat is nothing in comparison.

If it insults them, tough.

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NowVoyager For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #13
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

The fact that these terrorist scum had a get away plan instead of dying for this sick cause, makes me wonder if they're planning on another attack.

This is not a couple of scum who just decided to do it --- training and planning seem to point to coordination and this might have been just a start for these scum.

ETA--------- I might be wrong but a car bomb has gone off in front of a synagogue

French media outlet Metronews reports that there's been a car explosion in front of a synagogue in Sarcelles, a city near Paris where two were two gunmen attacked the office of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo just hours earlier.

It is not clear whether the two events are connected. The Paris version of Metro reports that this event was an incident unrelated with the attack at the magazine.

The car was parked in front of a synagogue, and reportedly exploded at about 2.30 p.m. local time (1.30 p.m. GMT).

Une voiture explose devant une synagogue ŕ Sarcelles. #CharlieHebdo #attentat pic.twitter.com/yzy557qA21
— Ilan Gal (@ilangallula) January 7, 2015

At the time of writing, the shooter who attacked the newspaper office in central Paris are still at large in the French capital's suburbs.

http://www.businessinsider.com/repor...xplodes-2015-1

Walt Whitman
Old 01-07-2015, 11:43 AM   #14
dreamseeer
Member Level 5

Location: Between Ajijic and Chapala on the beautiful Lake Chapala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Apparently the gunmen got away .

As an act of sympathy and defiance every form of media
in France should publish scornful images and the truth
about that brutal pedophile Mohammed .

What these religious bullies fear most is their deity being
exposed as a fraud and an asshole .

This is exactly what I thought also. Not just in France but all
over the world...every single media including Facebook and on all
devices that can produce media. It should be a world wide media
blitz to include every form of internet media... should blast this.

I am sick of them and their barbaric inhumanity.

PC IS GOING TO BE THE DEATH OF US.

These ISIS lovers are hacking the Albuquerque Journal and its social medias
saying there will never be another Merry Christmas and that they know all the details of people here including their drivers licenses and much more.

When are people around the word and here going to realize there is not PC'ing
these insane demons but to stand up to them and against them in every manner possible. When are we going to "avenge", "retaliate" and make them sorry?

When?
dreamseeer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dreamseeer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #15
Ter
Voluntary Exile

Thanked 1,934 Times in 676 Posts
Let's see how many newspapers in Europe are going to reprint the Mohammed cartoons in their next edition, because that would be a fitting reply to those murdering scum.

Wolinski, one of the murdered cartoonists, was one of my favourites. He was eighty years old.
Ter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2015, 11:52 AM   #16
Oric
El Turco

Thanked 2,117 Times in 940 Posts
Such a great loss, French should not have talked about the lifting of sanctions against Russia

P.S. Not an apology for terrorism
Oric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:54 AM   #17
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911

Thanked 1,741 Times in 814 Posts
I am hearing that other responding cops had to back out when faced with the firepower of men with rifles. Two things come to mind, 1) Apparently only two French cops had their issued balls with them, and 2) LAPD fights harder.

Further, you would think that French cops would have quick and ready access to patrol rifles. Maybe not readily apparent like in a typical U.S. squad car, but close enough at hand to not have to back out and wait for help against such a small attacking force.

This might be shitty of me, but you dont leave innocent lives hanging when you are entrusted with their safety. And if you die in the process, well, that's part of what we signed up for.

Just angry at the whole damn thing.

"When the enemy is in range, so are you!" - Murphy
كافر & Proud
Glockd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glockd For This Useful Post:
linttrap (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #18
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Spineless as the POTUS is, at least he hasn't called this act of overt and obvious terrorism an 'act of workplace violence' - as he did with the terrorist attack of our military at Ft Hood.

Walt Whitman
Old 01-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #19
lilly

Unless they stop PC this will continue.

They have to crack down.

The free press better print those cartoons all over the world.

But... it is the wake up call for the Europeans.

They are whacked out thugs, fanatics. Assassins.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #20
Ter
Voluntary Exile

Thanked 1,934 Times in 676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oric View Post
Such a great loss, French should not have talked about the lifting of sanctions against Russia

P.S. Not an apology for terrorism
Why mention Russia in this thread ?
I don't get it.
Ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:08 PM   #21
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,207 Times in 3,358 Posts
It would be interesting to know the timing of this tweet vs. the attack. I doubt that it's the actual cause of the attack, as that was obviously planned in advance. But, I wonder if the tweet set the attackers off earlier than originally planned.

From Reuters:

Quote:
The last tweet on Charlie Hebdo's account mocked Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the leader of the Islamic State, which has taken control of large swathes of Iraq and Syria.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:11 PM   #22
lilly

The author of the Satanic Verses, S. Rushdie has issued a very well thought out statement. Well worth reading. After all he spent years under a Fatwa for daring to write his book.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:23 PM   #23
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I've been out most of the morning & obviously have missed a lot of the reporting - have to go out again shortly but will catch up.

In the meantimne, rryan; thank you for that clarification. Yes I'm angry & yes it's too the point of not feeling terribly rational... right now, at least. I want to hit out, strike back in whatever stupid but possibly effective way I can think of.

I like the idea of reprinting cartoons. I'm not calling for printing blatantly offensive cartoons; not by our standards but it seems any depiction of certain figures or things is verboten to them. I'd also like to see every single issue of Charlie Hebdo sold out for months to come.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #24
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post

I like the idea of reprinting cartoons. I'm not calling for printing blatantly offensive cartoons; not by our standards but it seems any depiction of certain figures or things is verboten to them. I'd also like to see every single issue of Charlie Hebdo sold out for months to come.

And who will decide what is 'blatantly offensive'? Maplethropes' print of a crucifix in what appears to be a jar of urine. That was sponsored by an NEA grant and caused a ruckus at the time -- Yet no Christians committed acts of terrorism in response.

Needless to say, the thin skinned terrorists commit acts of violence in the extreme over much, much less.

So long as we have an administration who calls the act of terrorism at Ft Hood, 'workplace violence', who lamely clings to the outright lie that a poorly done YouTube video is responsible for the terrorist attack on our embassy in Libya, who considers the looting and destruction of a city as a 'peaceful protest', we can only expect it to protect the sensibilities of whack job fanatic Muslims who threat terror if anyone so much as implies anything less than flattering about their so called version of religion.

Walt Whitman
Old 01-07-2015, 02:43 PM   #25
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,207 Times in 3,358 Posts
I am curious about the tan front piece which one of the gunman is wearing. They go to the effort to dress all in black and then one straps on some kind of light colored something or other. It's not a vest. I thought at first it might be just to carry extra mags, but tactically, that doesn't make sense as the 2 gunmen aren't always together. It's inefficient and illogical for one of gunmen to have to go to the other in order to reload.

This is pure speculation, and it's very difficult to see details from the pics, but I have a feeling it may have been a carrier for explosives. If their plan went wrong and they were cornered, they could have ended the attack with a suicide bomb.

If this is correct, then it says several things about the gunmen. One is that they were ready to die. But, unlike so many other attacks, this one wasn't deliberately designed to be a suicide attack. These guys aren't the "blow myself up for Allah and to enter paradise" type of attackers. Rather, it seems the attack was meant to be a hit and run, almost guerrilla-style, attack, planned with the intent that the gunmen would survive and escape.

To me, that suggests that there are more people than just the obvious gunmen involved, and that France can expect repeats of today's tragedy.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (01-07-2015)

Tags
charlie, dead, gunmen, hebdo, magazine, satirical, shooting, storm