Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Preparedness

Preparedness Join us to discuss all aspects of preparedness.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:09 PM   #1
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 6,550 Times in 2,839 Posts
Default The Silly Season is upon us yet again

'This is the month it will all happen': Some Mormons are cleaning out Utah stores in preparation for a September Doomsday
Quote:
Stores are reporting that Utah Mormons are stocking up on freeze-dried foods and emergency kits
Biblical predictions, the Hebrew calendar, a bad stock market and a blood moon will all combine to bring on end of times this month, say Mormons
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...day-month.html

== == ==

Some Mormons stocking up amid fears that doomsday could come this month
http://www.sltrib.com/home/2935776-1...-up-amid-fears

Quote:
In a rare move, officials with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints sent a memo to administrators and teachers in the Church Educational System, saying, "Although Sister Rowe is an active member of the [LDS Church], her book is not endorsed by the church and should not be recommended to students or used as a resource in teaching them. The experiences ... do not necessarily reflect church doctrine, or they may distort doctrine."

The late Mormon apostle Boyd K. Packer said in the October 2011 LDS General Conference that the "end" was not near and urged young Latter-day Saints to plan to live long, productive lives.

"You can look forward to doing it right: getting married, having a family, seeing your children and grandchildren, maybe even great-grandchildren," Packer said.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:34 PM   #2
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,071 Times in 1,991 Posts
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mama Alanna For This Useful Post:
Antropologo (09-15-2015), Catbird (09-16-2015), Feather (09-14-2015), Sysiphus (09-17-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #3
A.T. Hagan

The floods are no joke and are a sure enough tragedy.

Unfortunately they are being conflated - by some - into a much larger bit of lunacy.

Eight dead after flash floods hit Utah town made infamous by Warren Jeffs - as Mormon survivalists warn followers to prepare for September apocalypse
Quote:
Two cars holding 16 people were struck by the surprise floods in Hilldale, Utah; Victims are all mothers and children, authorities said
Three people were rescued and the youngest victim is four years old
The vehicles had stopped to observe the flood that was coming from surrounding areas when they were hit with a wall of water and debris
Hilldale is part of an area known as Short Creek, home to the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - a polygamy-practicing branch of Mormonism not recognized by the mainstream church
The floods come as many Mormons are preparing for the end of days, due to a combination of events that have many fearing the apocalypse
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...pocalypse.html

Fortunately, Utah has a strong emergency response capability through both their governments and the LDS church so once the immediate threats to life have been dealt with they'll come out on top of this.

And the Silly Season stuff will fade away as it usually does.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:05 AM   #4
MTLass

I have to drive to Salt Lake City next week...could prove to be an entertaining trip. I may have to stop into one of the many emergency supply stores to see this for myself.
MTLass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MTLass For This Useful Post:
Feather (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,600 Times in 1,472 Posts
Let us know what you find please.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:45 PM   #6
Wojapi
Member Level 4

I pile up food this time of year because winter's coming and all the local stores have their case lot sales. Winco has upped their stock of long-term storage foods and supplies though.

--Mother Teresa
Wojapi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wojapi For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (09-17-2015), Feather (09-16-2015), MTLass (09-26-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 10:22 PM   #7
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,600 Times in 1,472 Posts
I usually stock up in the fall but with having to move I really don't want to have to worry about frozen meat and remembering that there's food in storage.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:45 PM   #8
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
I thought this thread was going to be about Snowbirds.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #9
A.T. Hagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb. View Post
I thought this thread was going to be about Snowbirds.
That starts next month and really gets going after the first snowfall up north.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:04 PM   #10
Sysiphus
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,759 Times in 1,018 Posts
Oh, how I loved Hee Haw growing up. I think it was the only show to survive the Rural Purge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Alanna View Post
Old 09-17-2015, 05:07 PM   #11
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,207 Times in 3,358 Posts
Sysiphus, check your cable/satellite provider to see if you get the RFD channel. They show Hee Haw every Sunday at 8pm.

I happen to know this because DH is a big fan, so I always know where he is on Sunday evenings. His mother had a cousin who was a member of the Flat and Scruggs Foggy Mountain Boys band. He also played as a studio and back-up musician in Nashville and knew most of the Hee Haw regulars and guests. So for us, Hee Haw is kind of a family show.

When I was a kid, watching Hee Haw was de rigueur whenever I visited my grandparents. Fortunately, 9 times out of 10, it was accompanied by homemade ice cream. Unfortunately, that's one family tradition that we've had to abandon.

YT has a lot of Hee Haw related videos, including clips from the shows and other performances by the cast.

For the classic Rindercella, check this video beginning at about 2:11.

And, if you're a fan of Archie Campbell, there's a 2 part, vocal only, YT of his 1962 album "Bedtime Stories for Adults".

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
Feather (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 07:25 PM   #12
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
Ugh, horrible childhood memories of growing up in the 1970s 3 or 4 channel universe. Hee Haw and The Lawrence Welk Show.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #13
A.T. Hagan

My wife and kids would probably cringe if I made them watch it today, but I loved Hee Haw when I was a boy.

The Lawrence Welk Show, on the other hand, I have mostly repressed all memories of it. Our housekeeper (whom we loved dearly) was kind, sweet, and hard working, but when he came on it was time for us kids to be quiet!
Old 09-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #14
MTLass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather View Post
Let us know what you find please.
So I was in Salt Lake for only 1/2 the day on the 24th but stopped by two stores: Emergency Essentials in Bountiful (just north of Salt Lake) that was mentioned in the Daily Mail article and Honeyville near downtown. Emergency Essentials is a Utah-based company, and Honeyville has a warehouse/distribution center in the Salt Lake valley.

Emergency Essentials is a small store; it's also quiet. When we were there it was only my husband, myself, and one other customer. The few employees were busy with one of their delivery trucks. Emergenncy Essentials carrries longterm storage food, and their shelves of individual cans were well stocked. The package deals (food for 3 months or 72 hour kits, for example) were on the lean side, with some completely sold out. They also carry other survival gear - small solar panels, sleeping bags, solar ovens, water filters, etc. The water filter section was pretty bare. Now, I haven't been in here before so I don't know if it's simply a poorly stocked store or if there has been a quite an uptick in apocalypse panic buying. Below are a few pics (not sure if they'll show up so I'll just add links as well):

Honeyville also stocks longterm storage food/bulk grains, water storage containers, and other suvival items (stoves, grain mills, etc.). Their store was very well stocked with no signs whatsoever of panic buying. It, too, was quiet with only one or two other customers while we were there. A few were trickling out when we arrived (one with a manual grain mill and another with a few bulk bags of grains).

The Costco across the street from Honeyville, however, was a different story. We didn't go inside, but the parking lot was completely full with cars parked on the street all around the building. I've seen a number of Costco/Sam's Club parking lots but nothing like this Salt Lake location...it had to have been an utter zoo inside.

Last edited by MTLass; 09-28-2015 at 12:53 AM. Reason: fixing photos!
MTLass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MTLass For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (09-27-2015), Catbird (09-27-2015), Feather (09-27-2015), flourbug (09-27-2015), Key (09-28-2015), proteus (10-23-2016)
Old 09-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #15
A.T. Hagan

Emergency Essentials has been around for many years and carry quite a lot of products. They're mostly a mail order business in my experience. Honeyville hasn't been around as long (at least I don't remember them before about fifteen-twenty years ago) and they also do a big mail order business.

Both companies carry good products and some junk. Both can be good deals if you know what you want and understand the way shipping charges add to the bottom line.

Be wary of anyone's package deals however, by this I mean the "year supply of food for four" type of things. Some of them can be good deals, but most of them fall woefully short of nutrition, variety, or both. You get what you pay for.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:31 PM   #16
AndreaCA
one of those hopelessly disorganized people

Thanked 3,203 Times in 1,433 Posts
Bumping this to the top! The election seems to have a lot of people on edge. My neighbor across the street was telling me that she had just come back from a Wal-Mart run (she NEVER shops at Wal-Mart). Her sister-in-law was going on and on to her about the civil unrest that was about to happen due to the election and that they needed to have at least a weeks worth of food on hand. So, out she went to buy some canned foods and water. Major win as far as I'm concerned. They never have any food in their house other than what they are eating that day. She will often come over to borrow a cup of flour or maple syrup. LOL So anything, including mass hysteria, that puts them into the mode of preparedness is a win in my book.

Me? I used to go for a year's supply at all times. But now that our eating habits have changed, I stick to around three months. Over the years I've gotten tired of donating cases of canned foods to local charities. And then, if I'm not organized, I end up tossing it because no one wants expired food. In fact, I just sent two boxes of canned goods with my daughter to leave in the lobby of her classroom building at school. College students always love free food!

Personally, I'm not too concerned about the election. Life will go on and I refuse to feed into the hysteria. BUT, I do think it prudent to be prepared to shelter in place which is why I've slowly been going through my extensive pantry and rotating and cleaning things up a bit while I've been housebound due to illness.

How are all of you handling the election panic?
Feather (10-21-2016), linttrap (10-21-2016), Wojapi (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 06:18 PM   #17
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,239 Posts
I am seriously thinking Canada Sue is doing the right thing by going AWOL from the Internuts. I may soon follow suit.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:22 PM   #18
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,508 Times in 2,751 Posts
I am off the roller coaster of all those websites for storage. Who knows how long that stuff has been around, stored, people see what it is being shipped around, etc.

Just find a large Mormon Stake and go to their store. Same price and stuff at their online store except no shipping.
https://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/sto...6706370_-1___0

Like minded people who aren't strang and don't think you are strange.

Yes, they let non-Mormons buy the stuff. No proselytizing. They won't contact you if you charge it or write a check. (Unless it bounces.) Pay cash if you want.

Load it into your truck or bed of your truck and off you go.

If the stake is large enough and has a cannery, volunteer. You will have a fun time and meet some like minded people. And again, no proselytizing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
flourbug (10-21-2016), Mousehound (10-22-2016), Thymeless (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 08:17 AM   #19
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,239 Posts
I wonder if they do that kind of thing over here too? I wouldn't know where to look really.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Calorie Counter
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:09 AM   #20
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,071 Times in 1,991 Posts
I'm not clear here about some stuff on your link, Pote - are things like the beans and oats and rice raw, or cooked?
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:55 AM   #21
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,508 Times in 2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousehound View Post
I wonder if they do that kind of thing over here too? I wouldn't know where to look really.
Mormons all over the world some large Stakes some smaller Wards. It is unlikely the Wards would have local sales but you can bet once a year they have a large freight shipment of storage goods coming in, or have the local equivalent brought in.

I would bet if you made contact with the local leaders they would let you participate. Go to the main website I am almost sure there is a link to look up your local Ward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Alanna View Post
I'm not clear here about some stuff on your link, Pote - are things like the beans and oats and rice raw, or cooked?
They are big dryers not wet packers. Same stuff you get in the stores it is just in heavy enameled cans nitrogen charged to displace oxygen and sealed. Dried bean, dried rice, dried oats. Lighter and cheaper to ship.

This isn't all they sell for storage just the stuff that ships well. Two of the things the Stake stores sell off the top and off my mind is large cans of commercial pack tuna and large 1lb jars of peanut butter. The Stake has a sheet they will send with the prices in advance.

You are still,going to have to supplement with oils, butter (ghee), spices but those are local and need faster rotation.

The last time I went they were elderly and I pulled off the pallet. Sometimes they have young people there and they fetch it for you and load.

I have heard that sometimes smaller wards will have canning day. They supply the product, cans, nitrogen, sealers. Members show up (and just regular non-LDS) you work. You get what you want at cost. Of course they don't can everything just 1-2 items so you may have to go several times to fill the menu.

But I have never been to long me of these myself, just heard it from Mormons who have.

Like I said, same stuff. Easy to integrate into what you eat anyway to assist in rotation. (Which you should do anyway. Well grinding the wheat is a little different but it stores better that way. Lol)

And for the record, no I am not LDS. They are just thinking "One less we have to help if SHTF and we can help someone else."

They didn't say it that way but you get the message.
The Following User Says Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
RottieMom (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 04:36 PM   #22
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,207 Times in 3,358 Posts
The places that Pote refers to are also known as Bishop's Warehouses. They provide congregation members with a relatively cheap (pretty much just wholesale cost plus shipping) source of LTS food, in accordance with the Mormon belief of each family having a year or more of food stored for personal use. The warehouses also serve as a food pantry, where members of the Mormon church who are in need can get free food.

Some Stakes have a policy of not allowing non-Mormon's to buy from the warehouses. Others are happy to welcome people who share their belief in being prepared. The contents of the warehouses also varies from Stake to Stake, and/or Ward to Ward. The best thing to do is to call ahead, explain that you aren't a Church member but share the belief that LTS food is an important part of preparedness and ask if you can buy from them.

We were the first non-Mormon's to use the warehouse in Knoxville. At first, they really weren't sure what to make of us but they were still welcoming and helpful. And, as Pote said, there was no proselytizing. Because of my medical weirdness, there are really only a few things that they stock which are safe for me to eat. So we stocked up on what was safe and haven't gone back for a couple of years. It's probably about time to rotate a few things and if DH ever gets a day off, we may make another shopping trip.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #23
proteus
Member Level 4

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousehound View Post
Think we would probably be reduced to carbon long before we had chance to boil our solar kettles.........
Mousehound (10-24-2016)

Tags
season, silly