Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Crafts > Fiber and Needle Arts

Fiber and Needle Arts Show off and discuss your quilting, spinning, knitting, sewing, and all fiber and needle arts here.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:22 AM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,634 Times in 2,797 Posts
Default Amazon challenges Etsy

Or Death of Etsy.

What a great concept Etsy was. Individuals made items in small batches to sell. It had unique things, things you couldn't get anywhere else and you were usually assured if you bought something no one else would have it.

When people started selling imported things on Etsy, and caught by Regretsy, you knew it was going down hill.

Then Etsy management decided to embrace this concept "retail masquerading as artisanal" and it was only a matter of time before someone else got into that niche.

BTW, it takes a real man to feel confident enough to wear that crochet jumpsuit.

Amazon Challenges Etsy With Strictly Handmade Marketplace
By HIROKO TABUCHIOCT. 8, 2015
Photo

Schuyler Ellers, who sells crocheted clothing on Etsy, in his studio in Nevada City, Calif. Credit Nathan Weyland for The New York Times

Amazon stepped into the handcrafted-goods ring on Thursday, opening an arts-and-crafts bazaar online that squarely takes aim at a niche but growing market dominated by the Brooklyn-based Etsy.

The new marketplace, called Handmade at Amazon, went live at 3 a.m. Eastern time on Thursday with a lineup of over 80,000 items from about 5,000 sellers in 60 countries. The marketplace lets artisans peddle their handmade wares — think walnut cuff links and felt pennants — much as Etsy has done.

Since 2005, Etsy’s handicrafts marketplace has grown to $2 billion a year in sales, showing that a lucrative market exists for knitted socks, upscale pet furniture and a plethora of other quirky, handmade merchandise.

Now Amazon, an e-commerce giant with $75 billion in annual sales, is gunning for a piece of that market. Since May, Amazon has been sending out invitations to artisans, including those on Etsy, asking if they want to apply to sell on Handmade.

The new site, Amazon said, will have an entirely different feel from the rest of its empire.

More: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/08/bu...lace.html?_r=0
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
drummagick (10-08-2015), Feather (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 09:01 AM   #2
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 6,869 Times in 2,944 Posts
Another potential sales outlet for small-scale producers.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,522 Times in 4,596 Posts
Ebay and Etsy were good when they started but are now filled with resellers and third world factory craftsmen. They clutter the listings with cheap goods and make it difficult for legitimate American and European craftsmen to compete. Amazon's new handcrafted section promises "international" sellers... I suspect it will just be more of the same.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
Arianwen

I don't know, I have purchased pdf cross stitch charts, a TARDIS Q snap cover, hand-dyed yarn etc all made by the people selling them. Oh, I did buy vintage crochet hooks from a USA seller. :P
Old 10-08-2015, 10:49 AM   #5
jason
Official Peon

Right now a large amount of FBA sellers are doing something called private label. Where they go on Asian sites, buy a product in bulk, get it labeled with their company name, and sell it as a unique product. This does something important for the FBA seller:

They are now the only seller of that product, and no one can come along and sell on the same listing (the ASIN is unique for what they are selling). This prevents being undercut by competition, and also means all the work and effort spent getting good photographs and getting good reviews aren't then hand delivered to someone else.

The end result though, is that if you're looking for a pencil sharpener, you'll see many different "brands" of sharpener that look the same, all of them have 500+ 5 star reviews, and in truth, its all the same sharpener. This is true for tens of thousands of products.

Eventually the asian manufacturers will just cut out the american sellers and make the listing directly, and ship the product direct to amazon, rather than a 3rd party who then ships to amazon for FBA delivery. This is a growing fear on the FBA Groups I'm subscribed to.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:07 PM   #6
Arianwen

I bought another hand-sewn (by an American) q snap cover..
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Feather (10-24-2015)
Old 10-24-2015, 01:05 PM   #7
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,744 Times in 1,505 Posts
The only way I'd go to buying hand made items from Amazon would be if I had to buy Alpine Balm that way. I'd rather the person that makes the item/s get the money than some big company taking part of it.

Tags
amazon, challenges, etsy