Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home

Within Our Home Here we talk about keeping our home and everything inside of it - including our cars and computers -clean, well organized, and well maintained. We also have our Classroom here, for those who Homeschool or extend their childrens education in the home.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2016, 06:34 PM   #1
Arianwen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up Indoor plants aka House plants

I took one for the team and created a thread.

I'll start:
I have 7 (!) spider plants
two dracaenas
a cymbidium orchid
avocado tree
anthurium
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Feather (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 06:58 PM   #2
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6
 
NowVoyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East of paradise and west of tomorrow
Posts: 8,859
Thanks: 21,375
Thanked 8,043 Times in 3,378 Posts
To simplify life I've drastically cut back on both the number of and size of our houseplants.

We're left with:

Austrailian Kangaroo's Foot Fern ---- 4

Pothos ---- 2

Chinese Evergreen ---- 1

Bird's Nest Ferns ----- 1 and a 1/2 (the second one is too small IMO to be counted as a full plant )

Areca Palms ---- 2 small'ish ones

All seem to need little care to thrive.

Gave away the larger specimens --- 6 - 7 foot tall Corn plants with multiple trunks and trailing pothos at their bases ---- The look of the fellas face when he had to load them onto a dolly was priceless --- Their pots were about 2 and a 1/2 feet wide. Heck, no way I could have moved them.

Several mixed trailing ivy in hanging planters --- very thick and about 4 feet long. Constantly had to trim them to keep them full, bushy and healthy.

Couple of Japanese Beech (?) Ferns --- They too got too large and cumbersome to deal with, even on the lanai .....

All the plants I gave away were between 6 to 10 years old, all started from tiny 3 inch pots from different places ..... All fed with Miracle Gro plant food -- both in dissolved granular form and pellet form.

I failed horribly with orchids

Can't grow veggies down here worth anything -------- In generally I've not done well with outdoor plants here --- Not enough time to properly care for them and do everything else. Up north the soil was so rich and loamy I could shove a broken chair leg in the ground and it would grow .....
__________________
The untold want, by life and land ne’er granted,
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NowVoyager For This Useful Post:
Feather (02-07-2016), Thymeless (02-07-2016), Wojapi (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 07:06 PM   #3
Arianwen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowVoyager View Post
To simplify life I've drastically cut back on both the number of and size of our houseplants.

We're left with:

Austrailian Kangaroo's Foot Fern ---- 4

Pothos ---- 2

Chinese Evergreen ---- 1

Bird's Nest Ferns ----- 1 and a 1/2 (the second one is too small IMO to be counted as a full plant )

Areca Palms ---- 2 small'ish ones

All seem to need little care to thrive.

Gave away the larger specimens --- 6 - 7 foot tall Corn plants with multiple trunks and trailing pothos at their bases ---- The look of the fellas face when he had to load them onto a dolly was priceless --- Their pots were about 2 and a 1/2 feet wide. Heck, no way I could have moved them.

Several mixed trailing ivy in hanging planters --- very thick and about 4 feet long. Constantly had to trim them to keep them full, bushy and healthy.

Couple of Japanese Beech (?) Ferns --- They too got too large and cumbersome to deal with, even on the lanai .....

All the plants I gave away were between 6 to 10 years old, all started from tiny 3 inch pots from different places ..... All fed with Miracle Gro plant food -- both in dissolved granular form and pellet form.

I failed horribly with orchids

Can't grow veggies down here worth anything -------- In generally I've not done well with outdoor plants here --- Not enough time to properly care for them and do everything else. Up north the soil was so rich and loamy I could shove a broken chair leg in the ground and it would grow .....
We hope to get some ornamental grasses that don't require watering eventually, for outside. I can get strawberry plants to survive outside but that's about it.
I saw a cool palm fern (?) on eBay, wouldn't mind a tall potted plant to occupy a boring corner. ETA: I was mistaken, it was on amazon and it's a "Victorian Palm" Amazon

Last edited by Arianwen; 02-07-2016 at 07:13 PM.
  Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Feather (02-07-2016), NowVoyager (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 07:10 PM   #4
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat
 
Feather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 9,551
Thanks: 23,778
Thanked 3,602 Times in 1,473 Posts
There are some kind of ornamental grasses that should grow there, they grow here. I've one yard not far from here that has prickly pear growing in the front yard.
__________________
Forgive your enemies - it messes with their minds.
Feather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Feather For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #5
Arianwen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather View Post
There are some kind of ornamental grasses that should grow there, they grow here. I've one yard not far from here that has prickly pear growing in the front yard.
They grow some manner of huge green grass thingies with purpley bits on roadsides, medians etc here. I think they look cool and are extremely low maintenance.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Feather (02-08-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #6
CanadaSue
SuperModerator
 
CanadaSue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In my gardens or online
Posts: 35,508
Blog Entries: 28
Thanks: 2,486
Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
I had to go count:


9 African violets - 1 still in bloom & bud stalks started again on a few others

5 jade plants + a dozen tiny starts

1 Christmas cactus

1 goldfish plant

1 ponytail palm + baby

1 small variegated ivy

1 Ming aralia

4 amaryllis

1 Mother in Law's tongue, (short version)

1 Dieffenbachia

1 burro's tail cactus

1 kalanchoe

1 pothos

babysitting: 2 New Guinea impatiens & 1 cordyline... 2nd is dead, I think
__________________
Searching for a dream to run after & catch!
CanadaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CanadaSue For This Useful Post:
Feather (02-08-2016), NowVoyager (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 09:07 PM   #7
Arianwen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
I had to go count:


9 African violets - 1 still in bloom & bud stalks started again on a few others

5 jade plants + a dozen tiny starts

1 Christmas cactus

1 goldfish plant

1 ponytail palm + baby

1 small variegated ivy

1 Ming aralia

4 amaryllis

1 Mother in Law's tongue, (short version)

1 Dieffenbachia

1 burro's tail cactus

1 kalanchoe

1 pothos

babysitting: 2 New Guinea impatiens & 1 cordyline... 2nd is dead, I think
Whoops, forgot the Pothos in DHs man cave, lol.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Feather (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 11:13 AM   #8
freelove
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 85
Thanks: 38
Thanked 53 Times in 26 Posts
Do fruit trees count as houseplants? I have 2 Lemon trees, a blood orange, a bay tree, 5 or 6 scented geraniums, a Camellia Sinensis, 2 Rosemary, 2 Christmas cactus, and a lemon verbena that just passes the winter in the basement.

Most of them go outside for the summer.
freelove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freelove For This Useful Post:
Feather (02-08-2016), NowVoyager (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #9
Arianwen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by freelove View Post
Do fruit trees count as houseplants? I have 2 Lemon trees, a blood orange, a bay tree, 5 or 6 scented geraniums, a Camellia Sinensis, 2 Rosemary, 2 Christmas cactus, and a lemon verbena that just passes the winter in the basement.

Most of them go outside for the summer.
Yep. Counts.

Any tips on having indoor jade plants? I am going to try to get my hands on one, later.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:39 PM   #10
CanadaSue
SuperModerator
 
CanadaSue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In my gardens or online
Posts: 35,508
Blog Entries: 28
Thanks: 2,486
Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Yes - again, they thrive in poor soil. In winter, a light watering once a month; every week or two during growing season. They love light - direct sun they adore but any good, strong light keeps them happy.

If you're buying one - don't worry if the leaves are a bit sparse. These can grow into solid, mini trees several feet tall so you want to make sure your plant has a sturdy 'trunk' & 3-5 well spaced branches. Well spaced as in - pointing different ways.

They're easy to train & thicken up. During spring/summer mainly, if you pinch out a new set of growing leaves, you're likely to see those replaced with two - from one stem to two in short order. You can whack off any size of stem from thick to thin & still green - shove it in dirt & water lightly & you'll end up with more jades.

My SIL gave my SO one 2 years ago - it's doing very well & has given me a ton of babies that I'm playing with - trying to prune into different mock bonsai shapes as they grow older.

The biggest danger to jades is too much water. If the leaves aren't starting to look a bit wrinkly, they're usually okay.
__________________
Searching for a dream to run after & catch!
CanadaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CanadaSue For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2016, 10:21 PM   #11
Arianwen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
Yes - again, they thrive in poor soil. In winter, a light watering once a month; every week or two during growing season. They love light - direct sun they adore but any good, strong light keeps them happy.

If you're buying one - don't worry if the leaves are a bit sparse. These can grow into solid, mini trees several feet tall so you want to make sure your plant has a sturdy 'trunk' & 3-5 well spaced branches. Well spaced as in - pointing different ways.

They're easy to train & thicken up. During spring/summer mainly, if you pinch out a new set of growing leaves, you're likely to see those replaced with two - from one stem to two in short order. You can whack off any size of stem from thick to thin & still green - shove it in dirt & water lightly & you'll end up with more jades.

My SIL gave my SO one 2 years ago - it's doing very well & has given me a ton of babies that I'm playing with - trying to prune into different mock bonsai shapes as they grow older.

The biggest danger to jades is too much water. If the leaves aren't starting to look a bit wrinkly, they're usually okay.
Thanks. I read they prefer south-facing windows but my house only has East and West facing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:25 PM   #12
CanadaSue
SuperModerator
 
CanadaSue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In my gardens or online
Posts: 35,508
Blog Entries: 28
Thanks: 2,486
Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
In that case, west window would be best. They only need a bit weak fertilizer a few times during the growing season. Oh yeah, one more thing, every few days, give your plants a quarter turn... keeps them growing evenly. I do mine daily as a rule but I'm a bit anal with my houseplants.
__________________
Searching for a dream to run after & catch!
CanadaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:28 PM   #13
AndreaCA
one of those hopelessly disorganized people
 
AndreaCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central California
Posts: 3,924
Thanks: 9,097
Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianwen View Post
Yep. Counts.

Any tips on having indoor jade plants? I am going to try to get my hands on one, later.
I'll send you a clipping of jade along with the aloe! You'll need to root it though. Again, my jade and aloe have never lived inside but I'm sure they'll adapt just fine seeing as how you live in an area with stupid amounts of horrid snow!
__________________
"You can solve all the world's problems in a garden." Geoff Lawton
AndreaCA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndreaCA For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2016, 11:15 PM   #14
Arianwen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaCA View Post
I'll send you a clipping of jade along with the aloe! You'll need to root it though. Again, my jade and aloe have never lived inside but I'm sure they'll adapt just fine seeing as how you live in an area with stupid amounts of horrid snow!
OMGOSH thank you! Squee!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:22 PM   #15
CanadaSue
SuperModerator
 
CanadaSue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In my gardens or online
Posts: 35,508
Blog Entries: 28
Thanks: 2,486
Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
DON'T root the jade in water - it will rot. It actually roots better when it's a bit dried out. Stick it in dirt & every few days, give it just a little water. It shouldn't take more than 2-3 weeks at most to root.
__________________
Searching for a dream to run after & catch!
CanadaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CanadaSue For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (02-08-2016), Feather (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 01:03 AM   #16
Cactus Az
Senior Member
 
Cactus Az's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: held hostage in NM
Posts: 1,290
Thanks: 2,840
Thanked 714 Times in 278 Posts
And, keep it away from being close to windows. I lost one during a winter because I had it next to a window, and the poor thing froze during a snowstorm. lesson learned.
__________________
[I]I have figured out I'm not a half glass full/empty person, I'm a "be grateful you have a damn glass AND something in it!
Cactus Az is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Az For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 01:27 AM   #17
CanadaSue
SuperModerator
 
CanadaSue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In my gardens or online
Posts: 35,508
Blog Entries: 28
Thanks: 2,486
Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
No, they won't take freezing but can handle temps down into the 50s for a few days as long as the soil is on the dry side.
__________________
Searching for a dream to run after & catch!
CanadaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CanadaSue For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 02:16 AM   #18
Arianwen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Az View Post
And, keep it away from being close to windows. I lost one during a winter because I had it next to a window, and the poor thing froze during a snowstorm. lesson learned.
I'm accustomed to closing the curtains when the sun goes down to protect my "wee babies." It won't be near enough to the patio door to get cold. I think it's double-paned, too. The livingroom window lets off a horrid draft - brrrr!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:06 AM   #19
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields
 
Auburn Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,415
Thanks: 2,298
Thanked 1,107 Times in 651 Posts
My token expired while I was composing the list..,

LOL.

On Ficus Respens Variegata. (The proverbial "Rubber Tree Plant.")

Two Ficus Benjamina.

One Euphorbia.

Three Peace Lillies.

One Variegated Philodendron.

One Spotted Philodendron.

One English Ivy.

Two Corn Dracaena.

Six standard Dracaena.

One Variegated Dracaena.

Two Sansevieria Variegata.

Three Dendrobium Orchids.

One Miltonia Orchid.

One Cymbidium Orchid.

One Rhododendron.

One Azalea.

Two Chinese Evergreen.

Four African Violets.

One Kalanchoe.

Let me tell you, it's a real bitch keeping them all alive. They are hardly thriving.., I haven't had a bloom on the orchids in two years.

Most of them are okay though. Some are over 30 years old!!

I could go into the list of Cacti, but that's another whole page. They do NOT do well up here in frost country though. I moved them all from Sunny San Jose to Auburn. But some of them surprise me:





(Can y'all see the enlarged embedded images???)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG2324.jpg (168.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2110.jpg (176.7 KB, 61 views)
__________________
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help her gain world domination
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Auburn Boy For This Useful Post:
Feather (02-13-2016), NowVoyager (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 01:28 AM   #20
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields
 
Auburn Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,415
Thanks: 2,298
Thanked 1,107 Times in 651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather View Post
There are some kind of ornamental grasses that should grow there, they grow here. I've one yard not far from here that has prickly pear growing in the front yard.
My landscaping is NUTZ. NUTZ I tell you!!!







Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6170010.jpg (189.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg P6170001.jpg (193.8 KB, 34 views)
__________________
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help her gain world domination
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!

Last edited by Auburn Boy; 02-12-2016 at 01:34 AM.
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Auburn Boy For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (02-13-2016), blue gecko (04-19-2016), Feather (02-13-2016), flourbug (02-12-2016), NowVoyager (02-12-2016), Ross (02-13-2016), spinnerholic (09-03-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 01:54 AM   #21
Arianwen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Boy View Post
My token expired while I was composing the list..,

LOL.

On Ficus Respens Variegata. (The proverbial "Rubber Tree Plant.")

Two Ficus Benjamina.

One Euphorbia.

Three Peace Lillies.

One Variegated Philodendron.

One Spotted Philodendron.

One English Ivy.

Two Corn Dracaena.

Six standard Dracaena.

One Variegated Dracaena.

Two Sansevieria Variegata.

Three Dendrobium Orchids.

One Miltonia Orchid.

One Cymbidium Orchid.

One Rhododendron.

One Azalea.

Two Chinese Evergreen.

Four African Violets.

One Kalanchoe.

Let me tell you, it's a real bitch keeping them all alive. They are hardly thriving.., I haven't had a bloom on the orchids in two years.

Most of them are okay though. Some are over 30 years old!!

I could go into the list of Cacti, but that's another whole page. They do NOT do well up here in frost country though. I moved them all from Sunny San Jose to Auburn. But some of them surprise me:





(Can y'all see the enlarged embedded images???)
Cute!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #22
D. Gale
Senior Level 3
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,808
Thanks: 1,323
Thanked 1,703 Times in 712 Posts
How do you people with cats keep them from eating your plants? I brought home a polka-dot plant and Rory couldn't eat a leaf fast enough. Then he kept trying to go back for more. I ended up bringing it to work.
D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D. Gale For This Useful Post:
spinnerholic (03-11-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 05:59 PM   #23
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6
 
NowVoyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East of paradise and west of tomorrow
Posts: 8,859
Thanks: 21,375
Thanked 8,043 Times in 3,378 Posts
WOW!!! AB, you have a spectacular garden!!!!!!
__________________
The untold want, by life and land ne’er granted,
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NowVoyager For This Useful Post:
Auburn Boy (03-04-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #24
freelove
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 85
Thanks: 38
Thanked 53 Times in 26 Posts
D.Gale, grow some grass for your cats, they need the greens. We either bring in a clump of the kind of grass they eat outside or grow some oats or wheat for them. All they need is a pot or tray of the grass.
freelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:40 AM   #25
CanadaSue
SuperModerator
 
CanadaSue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In my gardens or online
Posts: 35,508
Blog Entries: 28
Thanks: 2,486
Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
AB - lovely cacti.
__________________
Searching for a dream to run after & catch!
CanadaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CanadaSue For This Useful Post:
Auburn Boy (03-04-2016)
Reply

Tags
aka, house, indoor, plants

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.