Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home

Within Our Home Here we talk about keeping our home and everything inside of it - including our cars and computers -clean, well organized, and well maintained. We also have our Classroom here, for those who Homeschool or extend their childrens education in the home.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:00 PM   #26
Arianwen

Cat grass seeds due to be delivered today; I prepped a pot with soil and hydrated the soil. I am ridiculously excited. I am growing it to deter my cat from munching my house plants and because I believe cats need to eat a little bit of greens sometimes. ETA: I bought barley, apparently and from "wardog-surplus" on eBay. $3.50 for 600 seeds, free shipping.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Feather (02-13-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 08:48 PM   #27
Cactus Az

Prickly Pear cactii thrive in my high desert, despite winter temps well below zero.
Feather (02-13-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 09:29 PM   #28
Arianwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Az View Post
Prickly Pear cactii thrive in my high desert, despite winter temps well below zero.
High? I'm a hair above 1 mile in elevation where I'm sitting, drinking coffee. I hear ya though, the other day we hit 70f during the day, hit 30f overnight.
Auburn Boy (03-04-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 05:18 PM   #29
Arianwen

CanadaSue! My Anthurium sprouted another bloom and already has grown bigger. Also, the barley grass finally grew for my cat and she munched on it. Success.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Feather (03-09-2016), NowVoyager (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 05:42 PM   #30
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
Well done! A very light feeding of fertilizer, (no more than half the recommended strength), should keep it happily blooming for months.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:57 PM   #31
Arianwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
Well done! A very light feeding of fertilizer, (no more than half the recommended strength), should keep it happily blooming for months.
All the green kids got a fertilizing today; one spider is fixing to bloom, I hope I can entice the cymbidium to do something. My avocado tree started branching out awhile ago. Oh, if I forgot to mention my decapitated Dracaena grew a new thing and it's head is growing new leaves.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #32
Arianwen

Crappy photos. The yellow leaf on the anthurium was damaged when I was carrying it home in the plastic bag. I am loathe to remove leaves for some reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0402[1].jpg (174.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0403[1].jpg (183.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0406[1].jpg (176.6 KB, 17 views)
Auburn Boy (04-19-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 06:08 PM   #33
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Perfect! That's EXACTLY the things happy houseplants of the types you have should be doing at this time in March.

Now too, is the time to beg, borrow or steal snippings & clippings from neighbours, friends & enemies to add to your collection.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:13 PM   #34
Arianwen

Quote:
Perfect! That's EXACTLY the things happy houseplants of the types you have should be doing at this time in March.

Now too, is the time to beg, borrow or steal snippings & clippings from neighbours, friends & enemies to add to your collection.
After The Orchid Lady left green children gratis on her driveway, I always keep my eyes peeled for any orphans! I begged my DH to take me to the HUGE plant store for mother's day, I am determined to get a chamaeodorea elegans (sp?) They are simply too lovely. I think it will like a corner in our bedroom that is not bright. My friend tormented me saying her Lowe's has them for $5 or something.

Oh and my $5 air plant is thriving. I am careful to mist the heck out of it daily and soak it a couple of times a week and LET IT DRY OUT.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:19 PM   #35
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Removing leaves - painful as it is is needful. Often microbes that can hurt the rest of the plant lodge on to the withering, fading leaves. Snick them off, close to the base or main stem, with a sharp knife if you want to do it properly or do what I do - snap them off with my hands... if they'll snap.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:20 PM   #36
Arianwen

ACK! I am off to do the deed!
Old 03-09-2016, 06:46 PM   #37
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Good it looks like a lovely plant, keep it happy.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:18 PM   #38
Arianwen

Quote:
Good it looks like a lovely plant, keep it happy.
I picked the messed-up leaf off and pruned dead foliage off the dracaenas.
Also, I hightailed it to the local hardware store to buy cheap pots for the incoming succulents, already have cacti soil in the garage.
Auburn Boy (04-19-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 07:22 PM   #39
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

You're in good shape then - ahead of me. I've yet to pick up a bad of houseplant soil as well as a small quantity of clean sand to mix in for some of my plants that prefer a sandier mix. I'll have to get off my butt this weekend.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:32 PM   #40
Arianwen

Quote:
You're in good shape then - ahead of me. I've yet to pick up a bad of houseplant soil as well as a small quantity of clean sand to mix in for some of my plants that prefer a sandier mix. I'll have to get off my butt this weekend.
I have a little potting mix; my avocado tree is in dire need of repotting but I am afraid. I read they do not cotton to repotting and get cranky. It's been in the same pot for years. I know it needs it because a root is growing out of the bottom.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:08 PM   #41
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

It probably need repotting then. If it's a good size already, get a pot that gives it 2" or so of room for growth all around. Once you manhandle it out of its pot, gently shake out or brush off as much of the old soil as you can easily - don't force it.

Once you've got it in its new pot, with at least an inch of soil at the bottom, as well as new soil all around, give it a decent watering, put it back where it lives & assure it it's a great plant, deserving this wonderful new home. This time of year, it shouldn't sulk more than a few weeks. May drop a few leaves but just to keep YOU on your toes! LOL
Old 03-09-2016, 09:52 PM   #42
Arianwen

I got the aloes and jade cutting from Andrea today (and some nice sunflower seeds!) I planted everyone (except the seeds; we have the shortest growing season in history.)
Old 03-09-2016, 10:05 PM   #43
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Your aloes & jade will be blissfully happy indoors. If you can give them a sunny window - great. But they'll be fine even in a north facing window or close to one in winter.

Get them rooted & once they've started growing & have a few new leaves, feel free to move them outdoors. Keep them in shade for a few days, then gradually move them into more light. Even outdoors, they don't need a whole lot of water. If the leaves start looking a tad shrivelled, water them - they'll unshrivel. In full sun, leaves often take on a purple tinge along the edges - that would be the jades. Perfectly normal. Come late summer, reverse the process, more shady spots gradually ocver 2 weeks, then bring them in.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #44
Arianwen

Quote:
Your aloes & jade will be blissfully happy indoors. If you can give them a sunny window - great. But they'll be fine even in a north facing window or close to one in winter.

Get them rooted & once they've started growing & have a few new leaves, feel free to move them outdoors. Keep them in shade for a few days, then gradually move them into more light. Even outdoors, they don't need a whole lot of water. If the leaves start looking a tad shrivelled, water them - they'll unshrivel. In full sun, leaves often take on a purple tinge along the edges - that would be the jades. Perfectly normal. Come late summer, reverse the process, more shady spots gradually ocver 2 weeks, then bring them in.
I think it is May before the frost danger has passed (high altitude ain't for sissies.) We had one freak 70f-ish day with sun so I put some of the "children" outside to soak up some rays. I have most of my forest in an east-facing patio door uh, window in our bedroom. My fear is that jades hate humidity and we HAVE to run a humidifier lest our sinuses dry out in our sleep. It's semi-arrid here and dry as dust most of the time. 47% outside right now which is actually quite high.

ETA: We're also zone 5...
Old 03-09-2016, 10:38 PM   #45
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

My normal humidity here runs well into the 60%+ range. They're okay with a fairly high humidity level - just water them less.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:48 PM   #46
Arianwen

Quote:
My normal humidity here runs well into the 60%+ range. They're okay with a fairly high humidity level - just water them less.
I forgot to mention in the cold months, we use a warm humidifier and in the hot months, a swamp cooler which cools via evaporation.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:58 PM   #47
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Jades are TOUGH plants. That toughness makes them a good choice for someone who's not sure they can do houseplants. You can forget to water them for a few weeks & they're fine. They actually do better if allowed to dry for short periods. By pinching off leaves, you can double the growing points or, if you're looking for no branching in an area, keep scraping off the growing point - it will eventually give up trying to grow anything at that site.

You can make really neat looking 'false bonsai' with them. SO doesn't know it yet but this weekend, his little jade tree is going to be wrapped in coated wire coiled up & the wrapped branches gently bent outwards until it takes a more even, tree like shape - it was given to him as a mini plant with five branches, all growing flat in a fan pattern. I'd wired it late last summer but unwired it too soon - it's better than it was but still needs to be opened up if it's to hit the size & shape I'd like to see it reach eventually.
MTLass (03-21-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #48
Arianwen

Quote:
Jades are TOUGH plants. That toughness makes them a good choice for someone who's not sure they can do houseplants. You can forget to water them for a few weeks & they're fine. They actually do better if allowed to dry for short periods. By pinching off leaves, you can double the growing points or, if you're looking for no branching in an area, keep scraping off the growing point - it will eventually give up trying to grow anything at that site.

You can make really neat looking 'false bonsai' with them. SO doesn't know it yet but this weekend, his little jade tree is going to be wrapped in coated wire coiled up & the wrapped branches gently bent outwards until it takes a more even, tree like shape - it was given to him as a mini plant with five branches, all growing flat in a fan pattern. I'd wired it late last summer but unwired it too soon - it's better than it was but still needs to be opened up if it's to hit the size & shape I'd like to see it reach eventually.
I like the ones that resemble a tree!
Old 03-10-2016, 02:10 PM   #49
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Ari, those are really easy to create. Nick off any little or large branches that are badly positioned... you're looking to create a basic framework of 'main branches' like the major limbs on a tree. Look at trees in your area for ideas. Be ruthless - keep nipping off growing tips that try to grow in places you don't want branches. As the plant slowly grows bigger, keep the center as open as possible. You'll thank yourself later as the plant will do better with good air circulation in the middle.

Here are some nice images of different forms your jades can take, over time:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...verlay&first=1
Old 03-11-2016, 04:57 PM   #50
Arianwen

Good grief they propogate easily; one leaf came off when I was handling so I rested it on soil. It started forming a tiny root already! If the branch I removed and planted, the main plant and the leaf all survive... o.O

Tags
aka, house, indoor, plants