Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Crafts > Fiber and Needle Arts

Fiber and Needle Arts Show off and discuss your quilting, spinning, knitting, sewing, and all fiber and needle arts here.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:02 PM   #1
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 2,049 Posts
Default Wounded Warrior quilts 2016

These have been resized so that I'm not trying to post HUGE pictures. The detail pictures are the quilting, as seen from the back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg disappearing 9-patch.jpg (134.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg disappearing 9-patch detail.jpg (64.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg red white and blue.jpg (104.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg red white and blue detail.jpg (48.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg red white and blue detail 2.jpg (52.5 KB, 22 views)
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mama Alanna For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (03-07-2016), Catbird (03-03-2016), Feather (03-04-2016), flourbug (03-03-2016), Hollyberry (03-04-2016), NowVoyager (03-03-2016), rb. (03-03-2016), spinnerholic (03-06-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #2
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Grandson #2 was my portable quilt rack. Hence the rather uneven pictures. Poor child was probably faint from hunger. He'd only had 4 big oatmeal-raisin cookies to sustain him since lunchtime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stained glass squares.jpg (123.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg stained glass squares detail.jpg (60.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg southwest.jpg (74.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg southwest detail.jpg (173.7 KB, 3 views)
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mama Alanna For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (03-07-2016), Catbird (03-03-2016), Feather (03-04-2016), flourbug (03-03-2016), Hollyberry (03-04-2016), NowVoyager (03-03-2016), rb. (03-03-2016), spinnerholic (03-06-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 05:07 PM   #3
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

This one isn't going directly as a WW donation. It's a raffle quilt, since it's so clearly made to appeal to a woman.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rose quilt.jpg (74.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg rose quilt detail.jpg (167.4 KB, 4 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mama Alanna For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (03-07-2016), Catbird (03-03-2016), Feather (03-04-2016), Hollyberry (03-04-2016), NowVoyager (03-03-2016), rb. (03-03-2016), spinnerholic (03-06-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 05:18 PM   #4
NowVoyager
Senior Level 6

Thanked 8,533 Times in 3,452 Posts
(((MA))) Thank you!!! Thank you for sharing your talent and time to make quilts for our veterans!!

They're beautiful quilts -- all of them!!

Hubby was fortunate to receive a Quilts Of Valor quilt almost threes ago (IIRC). Stunning quilt and deeply appreciated.

Walt Whitman
NowVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:13 PM   #5
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Oops, forgot the last two! These are cheater quilts; the central panel is printed on the fabric. I've added borders to bring them up to lap-quilt size. No views of the back, since all I did was follow the outlines of the pattern.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mustangs.jpg (108.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg parrots.jpg (120.1 KB, 4 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mama Alanna For This Useful Post:
AndreaCA (03-07-2016), Feather (03-04-2016), Hollyberry (03-04-2016), NowVoyager (03-03-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 10:15 PM   #6
spinnerholic
Senior Level 3

Thanked 1,437 Times in 419 Posts
MA, I've been flat out awed by your quilt design and making skill for many years now, so it's way past time for me to tell you that, isn't it?

I've got some questions, if you don't mind taking time to answer them...

What is the size of the Wounded Warrior quilts you make? Are they all lap size or large enough to snuggle under in bed?

How long does it take to make one, on average? And what kind of quilt batting do you use? I know the cotton is traditional, and I also know that if it is mistakenly run through the washer it clumps and lumps and the quilt is a ruined mess. I've killed a lovely hand pieced, hand quilted, quilt that way years ago and it still makes my heart sore to think about it.

I love wool, love carding and spinning it and to my surprise, I turned out to be a darn good sock knitter. But all it takes is ~one~ mistake with running one sock through the washer and the pair is history. I've cried crocodile tears over that sort of happening. DH has learned to look at the heels of wooly socks and he can instantly tell which I've made and which are from the store and might be washable... So even thinking about using wool batting gives me a serious case of the shivers...

That leaves the poly battings. The washer can't kill those, I think, ~iff~ the quilting lines are close enough, right? so how close together or far apart do the quilting lines need to be to hold up?

With 7 cats and 2 dogs, stuff in this house needs to stand up to being machine washed, no two ways about it.

Peace on Earth and Goodwill to All.
spinnerholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:02 PM   #7
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,047 Times in 5,057 Posts
Simply stunning work & thanx so much for sharing them & for making & giving gifts of such love.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:36 AM   #8
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerholic View Post
MA, I've been flat out awed by your quilt design and making skill for many years now, so it's way past time for me to tell you that, isn't it?

I've got some questions, if you don't mind taking time to answer them...

What is the size of the Wounded Warrior quilts you make? Are they all lap size or large enough to snuggle under in bed? All mine are lap sized, about 45" by 60". The white one above is 60" by 60"; it was made on commission for a book, and then the designer died. Before I got my quilting machine, only family got big quilts, because they were just too hard to stuff through the throat of the sewing machine.

How long does it take to make one, on average? And what kind of quilt batting do you use? I know the cotton is traditional, and I also know that if it is mistakenly run through the washer it clumps and lumps and the quilt is a ruined mess. I've killed a lovely hand pieced, hand quilted, quilt that way years ago and it still makes my heart sore to think about it. If I work on them steady, 2 or 3 weeks, depending on the pattern. Most of them, I don't have a clue! Artistic Attention Deficit Disorder, you know -- I'm halfway through with something, when a new magazine comes or I go to the quilt store and there's a new book, and in it is something that MUST be made, so the previous one gets stuffed in a box... That was my new year's resolution for 2015; I couldn't start a new quilt until I finished 2 UFOs. (Unfinished Fabric Objects.)

I love wool, love carding and spinning it and to my surprise, I turned out to be a darn good sock knitter. But all it takes is ~one~ mistake with running one sock through the washer and the pair is history. I've cried crocodile tears over that sort of happening. DH has learned to look at the heels of wooly socks and he can instantly tell which I've made and which are from the store and might be washable... So even thinking about using wool batting gives me a serious case of the shivers...

That leaves the poly battings. The washer can't kill those, I think, ~iff~ the quilting lines are close enough, right? so how close together or far apart do the quilting lines need to be to hold up? Always polyester, because it does allow machine laundering. As a matter of fact, I launder them before they leave the house, because I baste them with water-soluble thread. Toss the quilt in the washing machine when I'm done and it goes away. The package SAYS that poly can be quilted as far apart as 10 inches, but I never do that. At most, 3 to 4 inches apart, and frequently closer, depending on the pattern. The patterns I use are mostly from www.meadowlyon.com, because I LOVE Judy Lyon's work. They're intended for long-arm quilters that have a laser-guided light to work from. Since mine is a sit-down machine, I trace the pattern onto tissue paper, baste that to the quilt, sew through it, and pick the paper off later. DH has recently appointed himself the Head Paper-Picker! But it did get it done faster.

With 7 cats and 2 dogs, stuff in this house needs to stand up to being machine washed, no two ways about it.
My granddog Valkyrie was staying with us the only time I experimented with a water-soluble stabilizer instead of tissue paper. Yeah, dogs with big wet noses and water-soluble anything don't mix well. Fortunately it was a free-form pattern of autumn leaves, and not a formal pattern, so I could just make something up that wasn't going to be glaringly obvious.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Alanna For This Useful Post:
Feather (03-08-2016)

Tags
2016, quilts, warrior, wounded