Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Politics

Politics Step up and make your case on all manner of political topics.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,252 Times in 3,371 Posts
Default Polling stations - problems, glitches, and voter behavior - Nov. 8, 2016

I'm putting this thread here instead of the Politics area because some of what is posted here may be useful for people who haven't yet voted to know about.

As I mentioned in another thread, my plan for the day and night is to watch local media around the country to see what, if any, problems or glitches are happening with the actual voting process. I am also curious to observe how voters are behaving, especially as the after-work crowd adds to some already long lines. This campaign has been the ugliest and most contentious I can recall seeing in my lifetime. Given that, I'm wondering if we'll see that ugliness carried over to the voting process and the voters themselves.

I'm NOT looking for indications of fraud since there's already a separate thread for that in Politics.

I just think it would be good to have our own little monitoring process. So please feel free to post any info you may find on these topics!

Thanks!!

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:09 PM   #2
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Via Breaking News: "North Carolina State Board of Elections says it will meet later Tuesday to decide on extending voting hours after technical problems in some precincts; notes no significant waits have been reported"

Officials: Election systems appear to be down in Colorado, delaying voters; authorities working to restore systems - Denver Channel

Via Breaking News - "Lynn Bartels, the spokeswoman for the Colorado Secretary of State's Office, says the voter registration system is down in some of parts of the state. She says, with it down, clerks cannot process mail ballots and in-person voters must vote provisional. Bartels says she will inform media when the system is back up."

Old 11-08-2016, 07:23 PM   #3
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Colorado is back up. So far, no comment on what caused the outage.

Quote:
The Secretary of State's spokeswoman confirmed the system was back online.

MEDIA: I have been told that the voter registration system is back up. Carry on. #copolitics
— Lynn Bartels (@lynn_bartels) November 8, 2016

Bartels said the system was down for 29 minutes, from 2:47 p.m. to 3:16 p.m.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #4
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Polling location in Winter Park, Fla., evacuated because of suspicious package call, police say - WKMG

I saw reports from several other places about this happening. It doesn't seem to be an organized thing. But, the delays caused by actions like this are likely to make some voters head home instead of waiting it out so they can vote.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:37 PM   #5
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Judge orders polls in Dover, NH, to remain open until 8 pm ET due to clerical error - WMUR

Democrats file motion to extend voting hours in Dover, NH, after email sent to roughly 250 residents with incorrect information about poll closing time - Boston Globe

Old 11-08-2016, 08:41 PM   #6
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,751 Times in 1,509 Posts
From what I've been reading on FB from my friends, there's no problems going on at the polls here in DM.
Catbird (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 08:49 PM   #7
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,044 Posts
CNN was reporting on fb that there was a shooting at/near a polling place in CA
Catbird (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 08:55 PM   #8
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Thanked 3,751 Times in 1,509 Posts
In Waterloo a gal was removed from the polling place after starting a fight with a cop who was there on duty. The office had a black stripe over her badge because we are in mourning for two officers that were ambushed and murdered last week. The gal went off about the strip and it took officers to remove her.
Catbird (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 08:56 PM   #9
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,044 Posts
zero hedge has been reporting of voting machine "irregularities" most of the day.
Catbird (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 08:56 PM   #10
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

ETA:
LDW, I think this is what you posted about.

This may or may not have anything to do with the election itself. But it's certainly going to have an effect on local voters.

Two Southern California polling places on lockdown after shooting; 1 dead

Quote:
A shooting in Azusa, Calif., Tuesday afternoon killed at least one person, wounded three others and put two nearby polling places on lockdown, officials said.

... Critical Incident: Please stay out of the area of Fourth St & Orange Ave. All residents in the area shelter in place.
— Azusa Police (@AzusaPD) November 8, 2016

The L.A. County Registrar’s office confirmed the polling places, Memorial Park and Dalton Elementary School, were locked down. It was unclear whether the shooting had anything to do with the election.

..."Voters should avoid the area and, if necessary, cast a ballot at an alternate polling location," L.A. County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk Dean Logan said."

One polling station has just re-opened.

1 polling station in area of Azusa, Calif., shooting has reopened, Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder; 1 remains closed - @LACountyRRCC

Last edited by Catbird; 11-08-2016 at 09:15 PM. Reason: ETA
Old 11-08-2016, 09:13 PM   #11
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Get a grip FL!! Do we need to send Miss Manners down there to do some poll watching?

Two separate incidents:

Precinct Clerks Fired, Volunteers Dismissed After Scuffle at Broward Polling Site
Quote:
Two clerks from precincts in Pompano Beach were fired after a dispute that was a rare issue at polls in South Florida.

Deputies were called to the Herb Skolknick Community Center after complaints of possible voter intimidation from the Democratic and Republican poll watchers at one precinct. That led to a dispute between the clerks from precincts 23 and 24 - one a Democrat, the other a Republican.

Supervisor of Elections Dr. Brenda Snipes was notified and she fired both, ordering them to leave the property immediately.

David Booth, the Republican clerk of Precinct 23, tells NBC 6 he was one of the two clerks fired and told to leave the property. Replacement clerks were brought in.

"They brought in replacements for myself and the other woman who was the clerk at CO-23 and we were told to leave the premises," Booth told NBC 6. "It doesn't look good, it really doesn't look good, it looks like they're trying to do something dishonest."

Two poll watchers were also removed, according to a spokesperson for the supervisor of elections.

According to Booth, there were allegations poll watchers were overstepping their boundaries inside the polling location and involved in voter intimidation.

Broward sheriff deputies told NBC 6 they showed up upon request to keep the peace and investigate the situation.

Voting has continued without interruption.

Quote:
Another incident was reported in Palm Beach County. Jupiter police said Republican supporters were passing out campaign material when a voter got upset.

WPBF reports that a man and a woman exchanged words and got into an altercation after the man went inside to vote and came back out.

"She's talking to somebody else and says, 'That's little man. Yeah. That's little man,' and then a derogatory term that I will won't repeat on TV," Tom Garrecht said.

Republican supporter Donna Tatlici told reporters that Garrecht charged at her.

"(She) sprayed me with pepper spray. At that point, I went after her and knocked everything out her hands," Garrecht said.

Tatlici said Garrecht threw her on the ground and punched her multiple times.

Garrecht was not arrested but said that police will likely charge him with assault.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:27 PM   #12
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Voting issues reported at polling places on Election Day

6:59 p.m. CST -- Texas voter arrested

Fort Bend County Sheriff’s Office in Texas confirmed on Twitter that a person was arrested after attempting to vote twice. The person allegedly claimed he worked for Trump and was testing the system.

Arrest: We can confirm 1 arrested for attempting to vote a second time. Claimed he worked for Trump and was testing the system.
— FBCSO Texas (@FBCSO) November 9, 2016

Tags
behavior, glitches, polling, problems, stations, voter