Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News

News This is the forum where we post hard news and current events. If it is outside the box then that is where it goes. If it is your opinion, please write in the Op/Ed forum.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #1
Oric
El Turco

Thanked 2,117 Times in 940 Posts
Default Russian Ambassador assasinated in Turkey - Dec. 19, 2016

Flash news from my "everyday is a flash news" country
Oric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:27 PM   #2
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,207 Times in 3,358 Posts
From Hurriyet Daily News:

Russian Ambassador to Turkey Karlov shot in Ankara
Quote:
Russia’s ambassador to Turkey, Andrei Karlov, has been shot at an art exhibition in the Turkish capital of Ankara, Russian embassy sources have confirmed to the Daily News.

Karlov was shot by a gun while making a speech at a painting exhibition in the Turkish capital, the embassy said, adding that it believed that it was a radical Islamist attack.

The attack comes one day before Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu heads to Moscow for talks on Syria with his Russian and Iranian counterparts.

Private broadcaster CNN Türk said Karlov was in a critical state.

Meanwhile, private broadcaster NTV said three other persons were also injured inthe attack.

Broadcaster CNN Turk said the attacker might be still inside the building and that Karlov had not yet been removed to hospital.

Details to come...

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
Ross (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #3
Ross
Lifetime Member

Thanked 5,762 Times in 2,598 Posts
At a Turkish art exhibition he probably did it himself.

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ( Noam Chomsky )

‘you can judge a man’s spirit by the amount of truth he can tolerate.’ .... Nietzsche
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ross For This Useful Post:
Auburn Boy (12-19-2016), proteus (12-19-2016), Samen (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 12:40 PM   #4
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

A little more info from Hurriyet. They reportedly have a picture of several people on the ground who are wounded, with a man in a suit pointing a gun, but it isn't on their site. They do have a few more details, including the apparent assumption that the shooter is still in the building.

Hurriyet:
Quote:
...Meanwhile, private broadcaster NTV said three other persons were also injured inthe attack.

Broadcaster CNN Turk said the attacker might be still inside the building and that Karlov had not yet been removed to hospital.

Hürriyet reporter Haşim Kılıç, who was at the scene during the attack, said attendants at the exhibit ran away after the attacker fired into the air. The attacker then targeted Karlov, Kılıç said.

Special forces surrounded the building in preparation for an operation amid the sound of gunshots, witnessed confirmed.

From Sputnik News:

Russian Ambassador to Ankara Badly Wounded in Armed Assault

Quote:
Russian ambassador to Turkey Andrey Karlov has been badly wounded in an armed assault in Ankara on Monday, Turkish newspaper Hurriyet reports.

The attack took place at the opening of the "Russia through Turks' eyes" photo exhibition, Turkish NTV news channel reports.

...Karlov was immediately rushed to a hospital after the assault.

Russian Embassy in Ankara has not issued an official statement concerning the assault yet.

The attack comes just a day before Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu's planned visit to Moscow for Syria talks with his Russian and Iranian counterparts.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #5
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Steve Herman
‏@W7VOA

Steve Herman Retweeted Hurriyet.com.tr

"We'll make you pay for Aleppo," gunman who shot #Russia ambassador to #Turkey reportedly shouted, according to local media.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:57 PM   #6
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 11,046 Times in 5,057 Posts
I've got a photo - it's a wretched AP link, so I'm simply going to CBC - open the top story & the photo is there.

http://www.cbc.ca/news
Old 12-19-2016, 01:00 PM   #7
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,511 Times in 2,752 Posts
Quote:
The perpetrator, who was wearing a suit and a tie, shouted ‘Allahu Akbar’ (‘God is great’ in Arabic) during the attack, AP reports, citing their own photographer.

The attacker also said several words in Russian, according to the news agency, and damaged several of the photos at the expo.
https://www.rt.com/news/370774-russi...r-shot-ankara/

Quote:
The gunman shouts: "Don't forget about Aleppo, don't forget about Syria" and uses the Islamic phrase "Allahu Akbar" (God is great").
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38369962
Old 12-19-2016, 01:06 PM   #8
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

I'm changing the thread title a bit for now. So far, all reports I've seen state that the Ambassador was wounded, but is alive and at a hospital. If necessary, I'll change the title back to the original version.
  • Moscow confirms Russian ambassador in turkey sustained gunshot wound, was hospitalized; press secretary says Putin has been informed - Interfax
  • Russian ambassador to Turkey 'seriously wounded' in shooting attack in Ankara, state-run media reports
  • More: Russia's Andrei Karlov was speaking at opening of photo exhibit when shot, was taken to hospital, Anadolu Agency reports
  • Suspect in shooting of Russian ambassador 'neutralized' by special forces at scene, state-run news agency says
  • Read more on aa.com.tr

This is the first official statement via Russian media - RIA.

(Machine translated from original at: https://ria.ru/world/20161219/1484009590.html)

Quote:
In Ankara, attacked the Russian ambassador

RIA Novosti. In Ankara, an armed attack on the Russian Ambassador Andrei Karlov in Turkey, according to Turkish TV channel the NTV .

According to the channel, Charles seriously wounded. The incident took place at the opening of the photo exhibition. Later, the channel reported that the attacker defused and destroyed, the police operation has been completed.

The Russian Foreign Ministry confirmed that the diplomat received a gunshot wound.

"Unfortunately, not confirmed by the fact that the Ambassador is in the hospital, he was trying to help on the spot due to the fact that the massacre continues right where it started," - said spokesman Minister Maria Zakharova. She noted that the Russian side is in contact with the Turkish authorities.

About the attack on the ambassador reported to the president of Russia, he plans to discuss the situation with the Foreign Minister and the heads of the security services, the press-secretary of the head of state, Dmitry Peskov.

As told RIA Novosti witness the incident, the ambassador was speaking at the opening ceremony, when behind him there was a cry of "Allahu akbar!" and someone started shooting.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #9
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

My apologies Oric. I should have waited for more details. I'll return the thread to it's original title.

Steve Herman ‏@W7VOA 2m2 minutes ago

#Russia Amb. Karlov, shot in Ankara, has died, says RIA Novosti, quoting source.

Steve Herman ‏@W7VOA 7m7 minutes ago

Media in Ankara report gunman fired five times at #Russia Amb. Karlov before he was shot and killed (not confirmed by officials).

Steve Herman ‏@W7VOA 10m10 minutes ago

"We die in Aleppo, you die here" gunman quoted yelling as he shot #Russia ambassador to #Turkey. (Photo: @[email protected])

Old 12-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #10
Oric
El Turco

Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to Oric For This Useful Post:
Catbird (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 01:17 PM   #11
Potemkin

Deleted, I am not sure that is what it was purported to be,
Old 12-19-2016, 01:17 PM   #12
Oric
El Turco

Tomorrow was going to be a Russian Turkish İran summit.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:23 PM   #13
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

RIA is now running this banner, but hasn't yet updated the article with an official announcement.

Quote:
Source: Russian Ambassador to Turkey, died in Ankara after the attack

Old 12-19-2016, 01:25 PM   #14
Oric
El Turco

There is a video of the shooter shout ing after the attack ı am on my phone so cant share it.

He is definitly Turkish. He shouted Remember Syria remember Halep
Old 12-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #15
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Steve Herman ‏@W7VOA 1m1 minute ago

#Russia's ambassador to #Turkey has died of his wounds, confirms foreign ministry in Moscow. #VOAalert

I'd suggest marking this day on a calendar. This is an absolute game-changing act with potentially world-wide impact.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (12-19-2016), Samen (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #16
Potemkin

Dogan News Agency (DHA; Dogan Haber Ajansi) streaming live in English

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ6YeSANJ-w
Old 12-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #17
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 4,642 Times in 2,104 Posts
This feels like an "oh shit" moment in history.
"Now, mark my words. So long as we are a young and virtuous people, this instrument will bind us together in mutual interests, mutual welfare, and mutual happiness. But when we become old and corrupt, it will bind us no longer" - Alexander Hamilton about the US Constitution.
Exodia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Exodia For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 01:38 PM   #18
Potemkin

DHA is streaming the video from Twitter that Oric talks about.

He must have had all of the credentials to get that close. To be honest he looks like he is dressed as part of the protective detail i.e, black suit, shirt, tie, shoes. (But that is with American eyes)

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodia View Post

Yea, don't forget, Turkey is part of NATO.

Russia is going to want payback.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
Catbird (12-19-2016), Exodia (12-19-2016), NowVoyager (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 01:38 PM   #19
Brihard
Non-Electric Pop Up Target

Thanked 1,027 Times in 425 Posts
"Oh shit" is right, and Pote's comments are interesting and worth consideration as well.
Brihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #20
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodia View Post
Shades of Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

RIA still hasn't updated their article. But RT is now reporting the death.

Russian ambassador to Turkey dies after gun attack in Ankara – Foreign Ministry

Quote:
Russia Says Killing of Ambassador in Ankara is Terrorist Act

The Russian ambassador to Turkey has died after being shot by a gunman in Ankara, where he was attending a photo exhibition, the Russian Foreign Ministry has confirmed.

The assault on the Russian ambassador in Turkey is an “act of terrorism,” Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova said on Monday evening.

“An unknown person opened fire during a public event in Ankara. As a result, the Russian ambassador to Turkey received a gunshot wound,” Zakharova told journalists earlier.

The ambassador, Andrey Karlov, was injured after he was about to deliver a speech on the opening of the exhibition “Russia in the eyes of Turks.”

Photos purportedly showing the perpetrator bearing a firearm are now increasingly circulating on social media. Users are also posting pictures which they say show the Russian ambassador lying on the ground after having been shot.

...The perpetrator, who was wearing a suit and a tie, shouted ‘Allahu Akbar’ (‘God is great’ in Arabic) during the attack, AP reports, citing their own photographer.

The attacker also said several words in Russian, according to the news agency, and damaged several of the photos at the expo.

Turkish NTV broadcaster says that three other people were also injured in the attack on the ambassador.

The attacker has been killed by Turkish Special Forces, Turkish Anadolu news agency reports. Russian Interfax, citing a source in the Turkish military, also confirms that the gunman was neutralized.

Hurriyet newspaper, citing their own reporter, says that the perpetrator also fired warning shots in the air before targeting Karlov.

The attacker reportedly identified himself as a police officer as he entered the exhibition, a Turkish military source told Interfax.

“We have information, from one of the witnesses, that the attacker presented himself as a police officer, showing the relevant ID at the entrance. This information is being checked right now,” the source is quoted as saying.

Reacting to the assault on the Russian ambassador, the US State Department expressed its condemnation.

“We condemn this act of violence, whatever its source. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families,” State Department spokesperson John Kirby, wrote on his official Twitter account.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:44 PM   #21
Potemkin

"Russia is considering this as a terrorist attack".

Russian will release a statement later.

Russian Foreign Minister spokesperson

DHA livestream.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:50 PM   #22
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

This is truly OMG territory.

Steve Herman ‏@W7VOA 2m2 minutes ago

Assassin of #Russia ambassador named as Mevlüt Mert Altıntaş, 22, a special forces Ankara police officer.

If this is accurate, the word purge is going to take on a whole new meaning.

But, if accurate, this also means that Turkey can't call on NATO to react to an "external threat" based on this attack. However, if they can definitively tie this man to a rebel faction based in Syria, then they could call on NATO partners to provide protection against foreign based threats.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:59 PM   #23
Potemkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbird View Post

But, if accurate, this also means that Turkey can't call on NATO to react to an "external threat" based on this attack. However, if they can definitively tie this man to a rebel faction based in Syria, then they could call on NATO partners to provide protection against foreign based threats.
I was too obtuse.

I referring to Russia getting payback from Turkey by engaging in "adventurism".

If the reports this was a Turkman then odds increase.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #24
andy
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,200 Times in 643 Posts
Well, that is going to make for an interesting news cycle!
Old 12-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #25
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Official notice from U.S. State Dept. OSAC office regarding situation in Turkey. They generally don't label a message as "Emergency" unless things are very serious:

Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens: Ankara (Turkey), Ongoing Security Incident Near the U.S. Embassy
Quote:
Assassinations
Europe > Turkey > Ankara
12/19/2016

U.S. Embassy Ankara advises U.S. citizens that there is an ongoing security incident near the U.S. Embassy. All U.S. citizens should avoid the area near the U.S. Embassy compound until further notice. Personnel at the Embassy have been advised to remain there until they receive further instructions.

Tags
ambassador, assasinated, russian, turkey