Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Preparedness > Armory

Armory Our modern, fully-stocked armory is where enthusiasts gather to discuss shooting and other martial arts, and related subjects.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:58 PM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 5,508 Times in 2,751 Posts
Default Knife making w/common hand tools

Parts 1-3 here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...UGJfb_C0c-WXsH

Published on Apr 29, 2016
This video is part 1 of a 3 part series that I've started on making a knife by hand from scratch. If you have always wanted to make a knife, but haven't really known where to start, or thought that it might be something complicated and difficult; these videos are for you.

I will take you through the process that I went through to make my first knife, and I think you'd be surprised at how easy it is.

In this video I'm outlining the basic hand tools that we are going to use. In the second video I will show you a basic knife-making jig to make, and in the 3rd video I will take you through the actual process of making a knife.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Potemkin For This Useful Post:
blue gecko (12-31-2016), CajunSunshine (01-02-2017), Catbird (01-15-2017), erudne (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 04:39 AM   #2
erudne
Member Level 1

I stopped making knives for the same reason Gil Hibbard did. Hint: What happens to a knife blade that becomes so sharp during polishing that it cuts into the 18 inch polishing wheel mounted to a 1.5HP motor rotating at 700 surface feet a second?
erudne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:36 PM   #3
Potemkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by erudne View Post
I stopped making knives for the same reason Gil Hibbard did. Hint: What happens to a knife blade that becomes so sharp during polishing that it cuts into the 18 inch polishing wheel mounted to a 1.5HP motor rotating at 700 surface feet a second?

I have "thrown" a couple of knives from the buffer wheel but I didn't stop.

One hit me in the should but it was butt end. Whew! I was so freak I didn't believe my own self assessment of wound and had Ms Pote do it.

I expect my knives to be used by people I give them to anyway. However when I buff them to a mirror they tend to sit in collections, sheaths or drawers.

Now I just finish them to 400 grit getting rid of grind and belt marks and leave it at that. They still look nice but people use them.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:03 AM   #4
erudne
Member Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potemkin View Post
I have "thrown" a couple of knives from the buffer wheel but I didn't stop.

One hit me in the should but it was butt end. Whew! I was so freak I didn't believe my own self assessment of wound and had Ms Pote do it.

I expect my knives to be used by people I give them to anyway. However when I buff them to a mirror they tend to sit in collections, sheaths or drawers.

Now I just finish them to 400 grit getting rid of grind and belt marks and leave it at that. They still look nice but people use them.
I used to take my mil-specs to a heat treater in Estacada, OR that had a media blaster and did a bunch of work there (For Free). all my polished work was hand polished ,after hardening, to minus 800 grit and final polished with a floppy wheel. My " thrown" blade was a 11" blade that hit my gut point-on. It cut my Burl tobacco pipe into 3 pieces, hit the large brass shield type belt buckle a into was deflected into the water bucket between my legs. I also lost a bit of index finger in the process. It happened so fast that I was literally dumbfounded as to what had happened until the blood started to flow and I got a clue and installed a guard on the back-side of the polish wheel!

Last edited by erudne; 01-12-2017 at 05:09 AM.
erudne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:35 AM   #5
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911

Thanked 1,726 Times in 809 Posts
While my blind ass is in no way gonna try this, if you want to post this in the Armory Pote, I will make it a "sticky" so that it does not get lost in the shuffle. Much respect for anyone who can do things like this, and the knowledge should not get lost.

In fact, things like this should have their own "space". Let me expand on that, basic tutorials, such as basic first aid, fire building, sewing, cooking, baiting a hook, temporary shelter, basic car care, etc. should be in one space. Prepping, IMHO, should include every day living skills that should be known, and again, IMHO, are not being taught.

"When the enemy is in range, so are you!" - Murphy
كافر & Proud
Glockd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #6
Potemkin

Unless you are totally without vision, I don't think you should count yourself out.

Making a knife is nothing more than filing away metal with a file until you get the shape and profile right.

In the "old days" as a youth I remember uncles toss an old used up file, or a leaf from an old truck leaf spring into the fire so it would lose its temper. They would work it with a file or a grinder then retemper it usually with a torch.

Have you ever seen a machete made out of truck spring? Think of a parang like from the Philippine Islands.

They didn't give a sh*t how it looked and if you don't care how yours look you could do the same.

How about a pre ground black with your own selection of scales (handle) or a knife kit? http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=119_299

Lastly no matter forged, stock removal, or knife blank the danger comes from when the final edge (or close to it), it has been tempered, and you are buffing it out.

Hand tools = less danger
Power tools = more danger
Complex profiles = more danger
High polish = more danger

Now I will profile the blade but the final edge goes on right before it goes to the shop to temper.

I don't buff them out to a mirror shine anymore because as I said, when I give knives away to friends I expect them to be used. If I mirror them out, they becomes "collector items" (even my humble knives) and end up in some drawer.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:48 PM   #7
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911

Thanked 1,726 Times in 809 Posts
Funny you should mention the PI Pote, as when I was typing yesterday, I remembered the truck spring knives that we bought there. Hell, they were beaters, but they worked and they were cheap souvenirs. I had three of the, now lost to time. Never saw, or if I did, paid attention to them making them. But, in my defense, I was kinda drunk or hung over most of the time there.

"When the enemy is in range, so are you!" - Murphy
كافر & Proud
Glockd is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hand, knife, making, tools, w or common