Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Medical News

Medical News News, information and discussions about health issues, medicine and biotechnology.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:21 PM   #1
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 6,908 Times in 2,959 Posts
Default Brazil's Expanding Yellow Fever Outbreak Started With Monkeys

Brazilian howler monkeys are known to carry yellow fever —
and can die of the disease.
Miguel Rangel Jr/Flickr

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsand...d-with-monkeys

Quote:
The first sign of trouble was the monkeys dropping dead in the forest. Then people started getting sick and dying, too.

Brazil is in the midst of its worst yellow fever outbreak since the 1940s, when the country started mass vaccination and mosquito eradication campaigns to thwart the virus.

The first cases in this current outbreak were detected in December among men living in rural parts of the Brazilian state of Minas Gerais, an agricultural region just north of Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. As of the first week of February, the Brazilian Ministry of Health has reported more than 1,000 suspected human cases of yellow fever and hundreds more probable cases in monkeys since December.

Usually there are only a handful or at most a few dozen cases of yellow fever a year in Brazil, and they're found deeper in the Amazon, not hundreds of miles to the south in Minas Gerais.
Quote:
The disease itself doesn't hit everyone hard. Most victims have only mild symptoms, like fever and chills, aches and nausea. Some have no symptoms at all. About 15 percent of patients develop a more severe form that can lead to high fever, bleeding, shock, organ failure and death. In the current outbreak the Brazilian Ministry of Health is pegging the fatality rate among confirmed cases at 36 percent. Among people who develop severe symptoms, there is no specific cure and as many as half the patients die.
The rest at NPR.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:58 PM   #2
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 8,254 Times in 3,372 Posts
Makes me wonder if the money spent on Zika, and the Olympics, ate up funds usually used for yellow fever vax.

"It's not inequality which is the real misfortune, it's dependence." Voltaire
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #3
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

Thanked 6,908 Times in 2,959 Posts
Is Yellow Fever Knocking At Our Door?

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsand...ng-at-our-door

Quote:
Scientists love patterns.

It's what makes science possible — and powerful — especially when it comes to infectious diseases.

Over the past 30 years, scientists have noticed a distinctive pattern of mosquito-borne diseases in the Western Hemisphere: Three viruses have cropped up, caused small outbreaks and then one day — poof! — they hit a city and spread like gangbusters.

All three viruses are carried by the same mosquito, called Aedes aegypti. All three have caused millions of cases in Latin America and Caribbean. And all three have gotten a foothold in the U.S., causing small outbreaks.

Now there's a fourth one lurking in the Brazilian rain forest, says Dr. Anthony Fauci of the National Institutes of Health. It's familiar. And it's deadly: yellow fever.
The rest at NPR.

I've had a yellow fever vaccination long ago, but my wife and kids haven't. I suspect most people younger than me that were never in the military service in the U.S. have not had one either.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:19 PM   #4
Mama Alanna
Eat ALL the cookies!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 2,049 Posts
I know DD1 had a typhoid immunization as a 3yo, but not DD2. Don't remember if she had yellow fever shots. And would shots given to a very young child still be effective after 35 years?
Mama Alanna is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
brazil, expanding, fever, monkeys, outbreak, started, yellow