Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Our Leisure Time > TV, Movies and Music

TV, Movies and Music Discuss your favorite television shows, movies, and music here.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:28 AM   #1
rb.
Climate Change is FAKE NEWS

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,877 Posts
Default Peak TV...the shows

So, from Fart's 2016 movie thread, I thought I should start this thread. There is so much good, or entertaining TV out there now, it's getting hard to keep track. My PVR series recording list is getting so large it's burping often.

If you have good shows you watch, maybe list them here for those of us not aware of them. Maybe add what it airs on, if on Netflix, type of show, notable actors, brief intro? We have a huge list, so I'll start with some of my favourites.

The Americans - FX Canada/FX - Current, season 5 about to begin.
1980s Cold War period drama, Russan spies living as Americans, while raising their US born children. Keri Russell, Matthew Rhys, with Noah Emmerich, Frank Langella, Margo Martindale. This very full cast is wonderful.

Better Call Saul - AMC -Current, season 3 about to begin.
Funny, sad, quirky backstory for several Breaking Bad characters, years before Breaking Bad. Saul Goodman, Mike, and Gus is soon to make an appearance.

Humans - AMC (UK production) -season 2 currently airing.
Sci-fi-ish...parallel present (per IMDB) where human-like "synths" are evolving, while interacting with humans. Great cast.

Colony - Bravo (Canada), USA (US) - season 2 currently airing.
Sci-fi, somethings have invaded Earth, and enclosed humans in various colonies, separated by walls. This show is about occupation and resistance, and all that entails. Josh Holloway (LOST), Sarah Wayne Callies (Walking Dead), Peter Jacobs (House).

Legion - FX Canada/FX, first season airing.
Sci-fi-ish, Kubrick-style, Pink Floyd infused, young man with schizophrenia learns he may not have schizophrenia. A character from X Men, but not like any X Men I've ever tried to ignore...never been a fan of that franchise.
Dan Stevens (Matthew, Downton Abbey), Jean Smart, Rachel Keller. Aubrey Plaza as Lenny is such a laugh.

Mr. Robot - Showcase or Bravo (Canada), returning soon with season 3.
Odd, schizo hacker takes on (down) the corporate world. Rami Malek, Christan Slater, Carly Chaikin, and Portia Doubleday are great in these roles.

I have more, but I leave some for others.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #2
Antropologo
Skeptically Inquisitive

Thanked 1,009 Times in 401 Posts
The Expanse - SyFy - currently in season 2.
Based on the novel series by James S.A. Corey. In the future, humanity has settled the solar system and there is currently a cold war between Earth, Mars, and the Belt (O.P.A. or Outer Planet Alliance). Strange things have started to happen when research on an alien proto-molecule starts to take on a life of its own.

The show has been compared to "Game of Thrones" in space and I think it's the best space drama series since Firefly.
Antropologo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antropologo For This Useful Post:
rryan (02-27-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #3
pave_spectre
Freakin' out the Polar Bears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropologo View Post
The Expanse - SyFy - currently in season 2.
Based on the novel series by James S.A. Corey. In the future, humanity has settled the solar system and there is currently a cold war between Earth, Mars, and the Belt (O.P.A. or Outer Planet Alliance). Strange things have started to happen when research on an alien proto-molecule starts to take on a life of its own.

The show has been compared to "Game of Thrones" in space and I think it's the best space drama series since Firefly.
I started watching The Expanse the way I watch most tv shows these days, on in the background while I am doing other things. Half through episode two I realised I would have to go back and re-watch it because there was too much going on for that to work.

Really enjoying it, wish it would appear on Netflix here a bit quicker as that's the only way to get it without pirating it here in oz.

When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution, and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
pave_spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pave_spectre For This Useful Post:
rryan (02-27-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 09:35 PM   #4
rb.

We are currently watching The Expanse, as well.

(Between DH and I, we have 52 shows listed in our series recordings. A lot of them are shows I watch to fold laundry...Housewives crap...or try to get sleepy to...First 48. Lots of "reality"I wouldn't classify as good tv, just something to pass the time with while doing other things. Like eating breakfast. )
Old 02-27-2017, 10:35 AM   #5
Fartacus
Go Cubs Go!

Thanked 3,396 Times in 1,469 Posts
Mrs. F and I just started Imposters on Bravo and it's pretty good.

Fargo is coming back for a 3rd season in April and I'm excited as hell for it.

Archer reboots as a 40's noir private dick.

If you have Xfinity, do try to catch OJ: Made in America, a 5-part documentary that I think was the best film of 2016 and won best documentary. It was actually an ESPN production that was shown in theaters maybe twice, to get it Oscar eligible.

Planet Earth II is starting up on BBC America. The camera work is amazing. That viral video everyone was going nuts over recently - of the iguana escaping all those snakes - is from this.

CNN (Tom Hanks producing) is putting out a great series of documentaries about decades. So far there's been The Sixties, The Seventies, and The Eighties. There are several episodes to each, covering a variety of topics that shaped those respective decades. eg, The Sixties:

1. "Television Comes of Age"
2. "The World on the Brink"
3. "The Assassination of President Kennedy"
4. "The War in Vietnam"
5. "A Long March to Freedom"
6. "The British Invasion"
7. "The Space Race"
8. "1968"
9. "The Times They Are A-Changin'"
10. "Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'N' Roll"

The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners.
Fartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #6
rb.

I think I've caught most of The Sixties and The Seventies, a few of The Eighties. They're quite good.

Tags
peak, shows, tvthe