Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Our Leisure Time > Travel

Travel Where are you? Where do you want to go? Post your travel stories here.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:38 PM   #1
dharma
Git it, booger.

Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,006 Posts
Default Airport terminals for the super-rich might be best for everyone

I fly into LAX about twice a year, generally to visit family. It is far from the worst airport I've been in, but at times can resemble nothing so much as a sort of intercontinental bus station. Having a family of five—from one of certain Asian countries where they eat a number of exotic spices and bathe very seldom—sit down next to one can be decidedly unpleasant.

Because I use a credit card that accumulates frequent flyer miles, and because one could easily use miles to get first class upgrades (not any more), I have usually tried to fly first class on long trips.

A few years ago I checked into first class check-in and was told I'd been assigned to the VIP lounge and security area. Huh? What's that? Up that staircase, sir, the unmarked door [where a number of prosperous looking people are going].

Wow. A buffet that put the Admirals Club to shame, a very low key security check, super-comfy chairs, and at least two honest-to-god Hollywood stars. And me, the country boy in the big city, trying not to stare.

Who knew?

Never been back.

Quote:
The facility ... will be the first of its kind in America when it opens on May 15th: an exclusive hideaway for Hollywood types who want to avoid the masses ....

For an annual membership of $7,500, plus $2,700 to $3,000 per flight, a group of up to four travellers can enjoy luxury suites before being screened by a dedicated security team and transported directly to the plane in a BMW. Once there, they can board using a separate staircase, after the common people have taken their seats.

... the likelihood of air rage among economy-class flyers is directly related to the visibility of higher-class service for others. Coach passengers are about four times more likely to become unruly if the flight has a first-class section. That risk doubles again if coach travellers have to walk through first class to get to their seats.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulli...sight-out-mind
dharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:20 PM   #2
Twoolf
Stop the world; I want to throw a few people off.

Thanked 1,812 Times in 876 Posts
Its easy to avoid all that: Just rent a G5 and use the General Aviation terminal.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:55 PM   #3
dharma
Git it, booger.

Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,006 Posts
Sigh. Unlikely, in my case.

My brother, on the other hand, works periodically for someone Rich and Powerful. He has a lot of seat time in a G5, and it's not a lease. He tells me it's Very Nice Indeed.
dharma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airport, superrich, terminals