Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Preparedness

Preparedness Join us to discuss all aspects of preparedness.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
A.T. Hagan
Just some fella on the Internet

Default April 2009 Preparedness Journal

So here it is April already. The stock market had a pretty good week last week so maybe, just maybe it's trying to resuscitate itself. We can hope anyway. But hope makes for thin soup so it seems that gardening is exploding in popularity this year as folks in all of the industrialized nations are rediscovering the virtues of becoming at least a little bit more self-reliant. There's no telling if we've got more big drops coming in this economic roller coaster we are all strapped into so the prudent thing to do would be to keep right on becoming more self-reliant. Avoid debt, get your preps squared away, and improve your employability whenever and where ever you can.

For our part here at Dun Hagan we are caught up in the usual spring time activities of getting the warm season garden in, tending to the various stuff that we planted over the winter until it is established, and building some new chicken tractors to house the birds we have coming to us from Sandhill Preservation Center late next month. We'll also be sending off another truck pool order this month and I'll be making another Sams Club run in a couple of weeks which should go a long ways towards alleviating the empty jars all over the kitchen problem that has been building.

How is the prep month looking for you folks?

.....Alan.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
oceantoad
Member Level 1

Ordered some chicks (actually back in March) to be delivered the week of 20 April. Ordered 4 Black Star hens, 6 Australorp hens and 2 roosters, 6 Black Jersey Giant hens and 2 roosters, and a straight run of 5 Cuckoo Maran. I still have over 20 of my mixed what ever chickens plus 1 Rhode Island red, but have decided to go more for the brown egg. Already setting up the second bath room as my nursery. Won't be the first time I have raised chickens in the bath room.

Am looking forward to seeing how big the Jersey Giant roosters get.

Still more canned goods from Wally World.
oceantoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
window2watcher

Seedlings growing under lights, while it is snowing outside--grrr. Not much really beyond that other than trying to keep the body in shape---note to those that haven't thought of it---as I have become an ardent treadmill walker I have located spots in my feet that have turned into blisters. I am having a terrible time locating tennis shoes that don't hit a particular hammer toe. It looks like I will have to go to the local Bergs, which orders from New York. I am very unhappy and sore. It could just be the tread mill, but outside walking is out due to the number of dog attacks I have had in the past.

The Heritage Brandywine tomato seeds that I saved from last year germinated at 90%---pretty good!
window2watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 1,110 Times in 672 Posts
I went through my med supplies and made a list so I can fill in holes. I'm not happy with the organization of it so I picked up some covered bins and have started filling them so that its not a haphazard mess.

I've been worried a bit about the possibility of earthquake damage and decided to make an attempt to minimize that kind of damage. Truck Cargo Nets do the job quite nicely. I have them stretched across my shelving with bungee cords hooked at about halfway jar level. I'm pleased! I can still reach in and get the things I need and there is at least some hope that not everything will fall off if we get a tremor. Did I ever mention that I'm interested in Emergency Preparedness?

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
Susie
I am NOT French, I just happen to live here

I bless that canner each and every day.
Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 1,110 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie View Post
I bless that canner each and every day.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #7
oceantoad
Member Level 1

My chickens decided they need salad and ate all the leaves off of my tomato and pepper plants. Picked up ten more tomato plants to replace them. Will be putting them in pots on the side walk and prepared the pots on Sunday. Waiting for the last bit of cold weather to pass through before I put the plants out.

Picked up some more chicken waterers and wood shavings in preparation for the chicks that I ordered. Got some more fake eggs to put in the nests of my front chicken coop that I will be using. I have gotten three snakes that I know of through the years with fake eggs.

More dog food for the pooches, up to 320 pounds on hand. With warm weather that will go a long way. During cold weather I go through about 40 pounds a week. When it warms up I should get about ten days out of 40 pounds if I remember correctly.

Turned my baby goats and their moms out of the baby paddock into the field on Sunday. Will have to start doing head counts every night when I come home in case one has its head stuck in the fence.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #8
Susan4
4ster

Been catching up on medical and first aid preps here. Got in several mail orders: Israeli bandages, Quick clot, Self stick wrap, BP cuff and stethoscope, First responder tool kit (scissors etc), and some books. Have plenty more to add to the list as time goes on, but it's a start.
Susan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
A.T. Hagan

Seed order came in today. Further preps will have to wait a while as truck repair just ate all the money.

.....Alan.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
oceantoad
Member Level 1

Ordered 12 different types of open pollinated tomato seeds from tomatofest.com. Picked up another dozen quart canning jars from the grocery. Bought two sleeping bags for down to the 30 to 35 degree range. Am going to pick up a third bag next week just as back up.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #11
Ter
Member Level 5

I came across the following site with lots of interesting articles.

http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/survival.html

Ter
Ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:12 AM   #12
Explorer
Member Level 1

Default Collapsed Buckets

Something I had not seen before is five gal food grade bucket collapse from oxygen depletion. A lady down the road is fairly new to prepping and started storing many things is buckets. For example the one I asked about had two boxes of oatmeal, sill in the original box, and other grocery store items also in that pail. Said she had added three oxygen absorbers before sealing with a standard lid. The bucket had collapsed on two sides, indented about an inch +, where the top rim was starting top deform.

As there is about a gallon of oxygen in an empty bucket, this one must have contained less. Do new buckets have thinner walls than the old ones from 10-20 years ago? Will they reabsorb air?
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #13
Sarrah
Granny has danced 6,809 plus--->

Never heard of that before Explorer. Interesting. I wonder if it was because the bucket wasn't packed solid with stuff or oats in this case I guess. Shouldn't happen I wouldn't think. Perhaps it is just a faulty bucket. Perhaps three oxygen packets was just too much for the poor bucket. It will be interesting to see what the folks with bucket experience think.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #14
A.T. Hagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
Something I had not seen before is five gal food grade bucket collapse from oxygen depletion. A lady down the road is fairly new to prepping and started storing many things is buckets. For example the one I asked about had two boxes of oatmeal, sill in the original box, and other grocery store items also in that pail. Said she had added three oxygen absorbers before sealing with a standard lid. The bucket had collapsed on two sides, indented about an inch +, where the top rim was starting top deform.

As there is about a gallon of oxygen in an empty bucket, this one must have contained less. Do new buckets have thinner walls than the old ones from 10-20 years ago? Will they reabsorb air?
http://athagan.members.atlantic.net/...-2.html#Oxygen

#2 -- If you do choose to use oxygen absorbers in packing your food give some consideration to the sturdiness of your containers. In doing its job the absorber is going be removing the 21% of the atmosphere that oxygen constitutes. Since nothing is replacing the absorbed gas this will leave the storage container with a lower atmospheric pressure inside than outside. If the container is sufficiently sturdy this pressure differential will be of little consequence. For containers with thinner walls the pressure drop could cause them partially collapse or buckle, particularly if other containers are stacked upon them. Should this occur the entire stack could fall causing one or more to burst. Metal cans and glass jars should have no problems, but some plastic buckets made of HDPE have relatively thin walls which can buckle when the internal air pressure drops. To deter this, a liner bag of Mylar or other high gas barrier plastic should used. Heavier walled buckets won’t need a liner unless you’re trying to achieve the maximum possible shelf life. Seal the absorbers inside of the liner bag so that the pressure drop with not stress the walls of the container. Other containers should probably be tested or first flushed with an inert gas (N2) before the absorber is sealed in.

.....Alan.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #15
Explorer
Member Level 1

I went back to install new burrs on her grinder and looked closely at the buckets. They are considerably thinner than the ones I have from 25 years ago. They were new buckets she bought from a LDS source. I do not use oxygen absorbers in buckets, so have never experienced the problem myself.
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #16
Sarrah
Granny has danced 6,809 plus--->

I just posted a discount on Honeyville grain in the bargain section below. I am sorry I didn't think to share it earlier. The sale is over Today Tue April 14 at 6 pm PST.

I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. Tough fuzzy thinking week I guess. These folks charge $4.49 to total order shipped anywhere in the continental USA.

I am going to try and be more helpful with this type of thing. Sorry for not thinking of it sooner folks.

http://thisbluemarble.com/showthread.php?t=12358
Old 04-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #17
oceantoad
Member Level 1

Bought my third sleeping bag. Picked up 2 dozen quart canning jars, a dozen pint jars, and three dozen extra lids. Got about a dozen Mountain House dehydrated meals.

Same day had 3 appointments at the hospital. Echo first, device clinic second, cardiologist third. No activity from my device so they finally have it set correctly after a year and a half. Doc says marked improvement with the heart, EF rate raised to 40 to 45% (was 17% at the beginning), left ventricule has actually shrunk a bit. Told me to start doing strenous cardio exercise for at least 30 nminutes a day, 7 days a week. Said that I will be amazed at the improvement in two years. Think I will fire my Doc! Heart health is finally improving some. Will have to start walking some.

Tags
2009, april, journal, preparedness