Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Alternative and Survival Medicine > Herbarium

Herbarium A place for discussing alternative medicine in all its forms.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
Susan4
4ster

Default Anti-inflammatory Curcumin/Piperine

I was reading Coyote's arthiritis thread and saw drummagick mention this supp and I have to rave on it too... I've had great luck with it on a variety of inflammation related issues but the especially tough one for women being fibrocystic breasts.

I also recall reading at other forums in years gone by Summerthyme's near miraculous veterinary work with Tumeric. It also became a flubie staple (even for this non-flubie) to stock for the cascading effect of the virus in the respiratory tract causing rapid death.

I like the New Chapter version, but I've also stocked other brands.

Who else uses this one as a staple in their herbal medicine chest?
Susan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Default India's 'holy powder' finally reveals its centuries-old secret

Scientists in Michigan are reporting discovery of the secret behind the fabled healing power of the main ingredient in turmeric — a spice revered in India as "holy powder." Their study on the ingredient, curcumin, appears in the Journal of the American Chemical Society.

In the study, Ayyalusamy Ramamoorthy and colleagues point out that turmeric has been used for centuries in folk medicine to treat wounds, infections, and other health problems. Although modern scientific research on the spice has burgeoned in recent years, scientists until now did not know exactly how curcumin works inside the body.

Using a high-tech instrument termed solid-state NMR spectroscopy, the scientists discovered that molecules of curcumin act like a biochemical disciplinarian. They insert themselves into cell membranes and make the membranes more stable and orderly in a way that increases cells' resistance to infection by disease-causing microbes.

http://www.physorg.com/news159438178.html

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
lilly
Senior Level 5

I had read to only use Tumeric with pepper in cooking, that alone it is worthless and excreted without its beneficial properties . So I stopped buying tumeric. I think I'll get this type.

Must tell my kids.
lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
Susan4
4ster

I'm gonna give this a bump too as it's one we stocked for the bird flu threat with potential to use to treat cytokine storm. There's been no documentation yet of that happening with swine flu, but I know folks are looking to refresh stocks and supplies and this is definitely one to consider for your home care arsenal.

Resveratrol is another one to consider. I noticed that Sam's Club's sell it by the bottle so no more having to fish around for Pinor Noir from cold grown grapes. Remember those days?
Susan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

I am making this post on the threads I can find about curcumin with piperine (or Bioperine). Pharmacist and I looked it up today when I was picking up a refill on my beta blocker and found they should not be taken together.

Link to herb and drug interactions. http://www.eclecticherb.com/emp/updatesHCDI.html

Piperine food and drug interactions
From: http://www.genesishealth.com/microm...int/ci0031.aspx

Interactions With:

Prescription Medicine:

The following heart or blood pressure medicine:
Acebutolol (Sectral®); Atenolol (Tenormin®); Betaxolol (Kerlone®); Bisoprolol (Zebeta®); Carteolol (Cartrol®); Esmolol (Brevibloc®); Labetalol (Normodyne®, Trandate®); Metoprolol (Lopressor®, Toprol XL®); Nadolol (Corgard®); Penbutolol (Levatol®); Pindolol (Visken®); Propranolol (Inderal®); Sotalol (Betapace®); Timolol (Betimol®, Blocadren®

Harmful Effect:
•Taking PIPERINE and these heart or blood pressure medicines together may increase the chance of side effects including feeling tired, chest pain, limb swelling, insomnia (difficult to sleep), depression, constipation, upset stomach, irregular heart beats, and skipped heart beats.

•This interaction has been reported when PIPERINE and PROPRANOLOL were taken together and might also occur with other drugs in this class listed above.

Proof:
•This interaction has been reported in people (1).

What To Do:
•Talk to your doctor before taking PIPERINE and the above heart or blood pressure medicine together. Taking PIPERINE and these medicines together may be harmful. If you are already taking PIPERINE and one of the above heart or blood pressure medicines together and are feeling tired, have chest pain, limb swelling, trouble sleeping, depression, constipation, upset stomach, irregular heart beats, or skipped heart beats, call your doctor right away.

The following medicines for seizures:
Ethotoin (Peganone®); Fosphenytoin (Cerebyx®); Mephenytoin (Mesantoin®); Phenytoin (Dilantin®, Diphenylan Sodium®)

Harmful Effect:
•Taking PIPERINE and seizure medicines together may increase the chance of side effects including dizziness, itchiness, low blood pressure, and increased heat rate.

•This interaction has been reported when PIPERINE and PHENYTOIN were taken together and might also occur with other drugs in this class listed above.

Proof:
•This interaction has been reported in people (2).

What To Do:
•Talk to your doctor before taking PIPERINE and seizure medicines together. Taking PIPERINE and seizure medicines together may be harmful. If you are already taking PIPERINE and seizure medicines together and have dizziness, itchiness, low blood pressure, or increased heat rate, call your doctor right away.

The following medicines used for sleep, headache, seizures, or muscle relaxants:
Amobarbital (Amytal®); Aprobarbital (Alurate®); Butabarbital (Butalan®); Butalbital (Amaphen®, Esgic®, Fioricet®, Fiorinal®, Fiortal®, Phrenilin®, Sedapap®); Mephobarbital (Mebaral®); Methohexital (Brevital® Sodium); Pentobarbital (Nembutal®); Phenobarbital (Barbita®, Luminal®); Secobarbital (Seconal®); Thiopental (Pentothal® Sodium)

Harmful Effect:
•Taking PIPERINE and medicines used for sleep, headache, seizures, or muscle relaxants together may increase the chance of side effects including dizziness, lightheadedness, feeling tired, upset stomach, throwing-up, and constipation.

•This interaction has been reported when PIPERINE and PHENOBARBITAL were taken together and might also occur with other drugs in this class listed above.

Proof:
•This interaction has been reported in animals but how it affects people is not clear (3).

What To Do:

•Talk to your doctor before taking PIPERINE and medicines used for sleep, headache, seizures, or muscle relaxants together. Taking PIPERINE and these medicines together may be harmful. If you are already taking PIPERINE and any of the medicines listed above together and have dizziness, lightheadedness, tiredness, upset stomach, throwing-up or constipation, call your doctor right away.

The following asthma medicines:
Theophylline (Aerolate®, Bronkodyl®, Slo-Phyllin®, Slo-Bid(TM), Theobid®, Theochron®, Theo-Dur®, Theolair(TM), Uni-Dur®, Uniphyl®)

Harmful Effect:
•Taking PIPERINE and THEOPHYLLINE together may increase the chance of side effects including, increased heart rate, nervousness, upset stomach, and throwing up.

•This interaction has been reported when PIPERINE and THEOPHYLLINE were taken together and might also occur with other drugs in this class listed above.

Proof:
•This interaction has been reported in people (1).

What To Do:
•Talk to your doctor before taking PIPERINE and THEOPHYLLINE together. Taking PIPERINE and THEOPHYLLINE together may be harmful. If you are already taking PIPERINE and THEOPHYLLINE together and have an increased heart rate, nervousness, upset stomach, or are throwing up, call your doctor right away.

The following narcotic pain killers:
Morphine (Astramorph®, Duramorph®, Infumorph®, Kadian®, MS Contin®, MSIR®, OMS®, Oramorph SR®, RMS®, Roxanol®)

Harmful Effect:
•Taking PIPERINE and narcotic pain killers together may increase the chance of side effects including difficulty breathing, low blood pressure, constipation, dizziness, muscle weakness, confusion, trembling, problems with vision, upset stomach, and throwing up.

Proof:
•This interaction has not been studied and is not proven. But it is possible that this interaction can occur based upon the information available about herbs and drugs (3).

What To Do:
•Talk to your doctor before taking PIPERINE and narcotic pain killers together. Taking PIPERINE and narcotic pain killers together may be harmful. If you are already taking PIPERINE and narcotic pain killers together and have difficulty breathing, low blood pressure, constipation, dizziness, muscle weakness, confusion, trembling, problems with vision, upset stomach, or are throwing up, call your doctor right away.

Nonprescription (Over-The-Counter) Medicine:
At the time this document was written, no interactions between PIPERINE and nonprescription (over-the-counter) medicine were found.

Dietary Supplements:
At the time this document was written, no interactions between PIPERINE and dietary supplements were found.

Food:
At the time this document was written, no interactions between PIPERINE and food were found.

Alcohol:
At the time this document was written, no interactions between PIPERINE and alcohol were found.

Tobacco:
At the time this document was written, no interactions between PIPERINE and tobacco were found.

References:
1. Bano G, Amla JV, Raina RK et al: The effect of piperine on pharmacokinetics of phenytoin in healthy volunteers. Planta Med 1987; 53(6):568-569.

2. Bano G, Raina RK, Zutschi U et al: Effect of piperine on bioavailability and pharmacokinetics of propranolol and theophylline in healthy volunteers. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 1991; 41(6):615-617.

3. Atal CK, Dubey R & Singh J: Biochemical basis of enhanced drug bioavailability by piperine: evidence that piperine is a potent inhibitor of drug metabolism. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 1985; 232(1):258-262.
drummagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:51 PM   #6
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 1,318 Times in 762 Posts
Thank you Drummagick!

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antiinflammatory, curcumin or piperine