Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Nutrition, Exercise and Weight Control

Nutrition, Exercise and Weight Control Keeping our bodies fit and at optimal performance levels.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Default Even modest exercise can reduce negative effects of belly fat

A new University of Illinois study suggests that moderate amounts of exercise alone can reduce the inflammation in visceral fat—belly fat, if you will—that has been linked with metabolic syndrome, a group of risk factors that predict heart disease and Type 2 diabetes.

Belly fat is particularly dangerous because it produces inflammatory molecules that enter the bloodstream and increase the risk of heart disease and diabetes, he said.

"Scientists now know that obesity is associated with a low-grade systemic inflammation. Obese people have higher levels of circulating inflammatory markers, such as C-reactive protein (CRP), which are produced and secreted by fat tissue. This inflammation then triggers the systemic diseases linked with metabolic syndrome, such as Type 2 diabetes and heart disease," he said.

In the study, Woods and his colleagues examined the effects of diet and exercise on the inflammation of visceral fat tissue in mice. A high-fat diet was first used to induce obesity in the animals. After 6 weeks, mice were assigned to either a sedentary group, an exercise group, a low-fat diet group, or a group that combined a low-fat diet with exercise for 6 or 12 weeks so the scientists could compare the effects in both the short and long term.

"The surprise was that the combination of diet and exercise didn't yield dramatically different and better results than diet or exercise alone," said Vicki Vieira, the lead author of the study.

"The benefits of exercise were apparent even if the animals were still eating a high-fat diet. That tells me that exercise could decrease or prevent these life-threatening diseases by reducing inflammation even when obesity is still present."

"The good news is that this was a very modest exercise program. The mice ran on a treadmill only about one-fourth of a mile five days a week. For humans, that would probably translate into walking 30 to 45 minutes a day five days a week," he noted.

"Even if you struggle with dieting, we believe you can still reduce the likelihood of developing obesity-related inflammatory diseases, such as Type 2 diabetes and heart disease, by adding a modest amount of exercise to your life," said Woods.

Full article here:
http://www.physorg.com/news159721475.html

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Seth Godin: “Instead of wondering when your next vacation is, maybe you should set up a life you don't need to escape from.”
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

So my belly fat is not going to kill me, but my ass fat still might?
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
A.T. Hagan
Just some fella on the Internet

Oh heck, 06, your keyboard is going to get you killed long before your fat is...

.....Alan
Old 04-24-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
Susan4
4ster

Susan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.

Last edited by Ought Six; 04-24-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Could be....
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
belly, effects, exercise, fat, modest, negative, reduce