Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Preparedness > Armory

Armory Our modern, fully-stocked armory is where enthusiasts gather to discuss shooting and other martial arts, and related subjects.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
Glenn 50
Member Level 5

Default Policeman killed with air rifle.

The reason I posted this is that I am amazed that an air rifle could be so lethal. I used to have a "slug gun" when I was a kid. Thing was so underpowered the slug would drop 6 inches in 25 ft.
Obviously air rifles have gone a long way since the '60s.

New Zealand Police are to review the firearms laws after it was revealed the gun suspected of killing a police officer yesterday can be bought over the counter or on the internet by anyone over the age of 18.

Sergeant Don Wilkinson, 46, is believed to have been shot dead by a powerful, gas operated, rifle which shoots a pellet similar in size to a conventional.22 calibre rifle round.

A colleague is in a comfortable condition in hospital after also being shot while the pair were engaged a covert police operation at a suspected methamphetamine laboratory in Mangere East in the early hours of yesterday morning.

Police Commissioner Howard Broad said today he would be reviewing the Arms Act and the availability of air rifles

"Policy responsibility for the Arms Act is actually mine so I will have a look at that."

The New Zealand Council for Licensed Firearms Owners says airguns have become increasingly powerful, and some are the equivalent of hunting rifles.

"Some of those air guns are as powerful as a high-powered hunting rifle," the council's executive director, John Howatt, told Radio New Zealand.

"You need to have a firearms licence, training and be assessed by police to have a high-powered hunting rifle.

"It is unreasonable you should be able to go out and buy an air rifle just because you are 18."

It is understood there are thousands of the high-powered air rifles in New Zealand.

Last year a seven-year-old Napier girl survived after being accidentally shot in the head with by her father with an airgun.

It is understood the pellet went right through the girl's head.

At the time one person advertising a similar air gun for sale said it could fire a pellet through both sides of a baked beans can.

The council said it was wrong they could still be owned without a licence and it hoped they would be restricted in upcoming changes to the Arms Act.

Mr Wilkinson, 46, and his partner, 44, were trying to install a tracking device on a car outside a house being used as a suspected P lab in Hain Avenue, Mangere.

They were disturbed by occupants of the house, chased 75 metres down the road and Mr Wilkinson was shot dead. His partner, whose name is suppressed by court order, was shot several times but his injuries were not life threatening.

Yesterday a 37-year-old man was charged with murdering Mr Wilkinson and a 33-year-old man was charged with assaulting him.

They were both granted name suppression when they appeared in Manukau District Court and were remanded in custody to appear again later this month.

- NZPA
Glenn 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:23 AM   #2
Glenn 50
Member Level 5

Police believe Mr Wilkinson was killed by a 5.5mm slug fired by an FX Monsoon model 5.5-calibre gas power rifle fitted with a scope seized on Thursday
Glenn 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Longrodz

In WWII German and Austrian snipers used air rifles to kill soldiers at considerable distances, but I did not know air rifles with that kind of power were still being made. I found a website for an outfit in Arizona that sells the FX Monsoon rifle. Whoa, $1,449-1,600 a piece! And they think there are thousands of rifles like this in New Zealand? New Zealanders sure have an awful lot of money to spend on air rifles.
Longrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,808 Times in 1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn 50 View Post
The reason I posted this is that I am amazed that an air rifle could be so lethal. I used to have a "slug gun" when I was a kid. Thing was so underpowered the slug would drop 6 inches in 25 ft.
Obviously air rifles have gone a long way since the '60s.
Brother, let me introduce you to the Feinwerkbau Model 700. US$2625.

http://www.champchoice.com/shop.php?...age&page_num=2

You could cheap out and get an Anschutz 8002 for about US$2100

Entweder ein erhalten die Aufgabe zu erledigen!

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
neilyoungfan
Member Level 4

Dumb question... Would a underlever spring-powered air rifle be a quiet gun for hunting small game?
neilyoungfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:35 AM   #6
Mrs. Vet

Are they a quiet gun?

'If at first you don't succeed, do it the way your wife told you!' "Sparky"
Mrs. Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
Longrodz

Neilyoungfan, all airguns make some noise, it tends to vary a lot by brand and design. Here is a link to an article that discusses the noise factor: http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/...gun-quiet.html

You should also check out a Gamo Whisper. At 1200fps in .177 cal. with an integral noise dampener it is very effective on small game.
Longrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
neilyoungfan
Member Level 4

Thanks for the link, Longrodz.
neilyoungfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, killed, policeman, rifle