Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Politics

Politics Step up and make your case on all manner of political topics.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #51
Fartacus
It's like that, is it?
 
Fartacus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,003
Thanks: 195
Thanked 590 Times in 335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerdave View Post
Given the ever expanding list of venomous, hateful, absurd, irrational and desperate attacks on Obama, we can be sure of one thing - If Palin couldn't take the heat of the Alaska governor's seat without quitting, there is utterly NO WAY she is able to handle the presidency whatsoever.

That's the fact, Jack.
__________________
"I'll give you my unconditional love when you've earned it" Bill Scheft

The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners.
Fartacus is offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #52
rryan
Where the hell am I?
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,880
Thanks: 167
Thanked 182 Times in 132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
I can certainly agree with that.

I hope the "McCain, Palin, Bush, Limbaugh" wing of the party collapses soon. Extremism, in all it's forms, is best avoided.

Take the middle path, Grasshopper...
I too for the most part except the reason the Republican party is not galvanizing it's base is they keep trying to move to the middle and in my opinion Sarah is not nearly conservative enough.
__________________
“Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.”
-RAH

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #53
Coyote
Senior Level 2
 
Coyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,957
Thanks: 12
Thanked 182 Times in 103 Posts
Quote:
I too for the most part except the reason the Republican party is not galvanizing it's base is they keep trying to move to the middle and in my opinion Sarah is not nearly conservative enough.
Extremism isn't conservative.

The Republican party will recover nicely once the extremists are gone.
__________________
Do not mess with the forces of nature, for thou art small and biodegradable
Coyote is offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #54
rryan
Where the hell am I?
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,880
Thanks: 167
Thanked 182 Times in 132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
Extremism isn't conservative.

The Republican party will recover nicely once the extremists are gone.
if that happens it won't be worth recovering.

This country needs people who will stop government growth and socialism without compromise.

For every action there is a reaction----and with the dose of socialist statism being forced on us the reaction is going to be more than anyone expects.

With so many issues right now that can be used to incite fear and anger pandering to the middle (read people with no real convictions) is a waste.
__________________
“Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.”
-RAH

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #55
Coyote
Senior Level 2
 
Coyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,957
Thanks: 12
Thanked 182 Times in 103 Posts
Quote:
This country needs people who will stop government growth and socialism without compromise.
Bouncing between extremist positions is disastrous. Extremism is what will bring down the country not socialism or capitalism.

We bounced from the right wing Regan/Bush team to the far left wing Clinton/Gore team to the extremist Bush/Cheney ticket to the ultra left Obama administration.

This isn't working very well. A far right, extremist response to the Obama years will only hasten our demise as a successful people.

Quote:
...the middle (read people with no real convictions)
Moderates have as strongly held convictions as you do. You like to belittle people who don't think like you but it diminishes your credibility.
__________________
Do not mess with the forces of nature, for thou art small and biodegradable
Coyote is offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #56
lilly
Senior Level 5
 
lilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,731
Blog Entries: 71
Thanks: 595
Thanked 314 Times in 264 Posts
Two peas in a pod. It is in the stars.

Title of the article in Salon is

"Sarah Palin, meet Mahmoud Ahmadinejad" by Juan Cole

two right wing populist have a surprising amount in common

http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature...jad/index.html


Free Ranger posts the "Immoral Minority" on Trig.

The ultimate blog on the birth
is "Palindeceptions'.

I have no idea, of the truth of the matter. I haven't seen Trig birth certificate. It has never been released. Trig will never become president, and I am not making sport of his condition in any way. It is more than obvious why.

The writer and blogger Audrey wrote yesterday

"Make my day. Sue me "to Palin and her lawyer.

Lets see if Palin sues.

http://palindeception.blogspot.com/

August 4th. Title "Go Ahead Make My Day."

Palin with lawyer in tow, is heading down a path of trying to intimidate bloggers?

Seems like they would love to depose Sarah Palin. I don't know what is what. I never knew, and probably never will find out. The issue pops up now and again and always will dog Palin wherever Palin goes.

But there are bigger puzzles in the universe. Like Obamas birth story. With attendent throngs.

Her cult followers are gloating over the bloggers resignation.( death threats are death threats.)

The traffic on the immoral minority, a spoof on the moral majority, has gone up from 20 a day to 400. People like myself who read it in the press, and never read him before.

I think death threats directed at a blogger, and sending threats that they will kill him in the schoolyard are complete insanity. It might be the lunatic fringe, but the FBI will need to eventually enter the picture.

Schools are required to turn such threats over to the authorities.

Eventually everything comes full circle.

The power of intimidation goes only so far in a democratic society.

The tide will go out, it always does, and a lot of flotsom and jetsom will be left high and dry on the sands while the high tide of temporary fame ebbs away.

Some icebergs continue to move,and will come in its own time, as it floats its way slowly onward.....Time. That is all it takes.

Last edited by lilly; 08-07-2009 at 01:02 PM.
lilly is offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #57
free ranger
Perception is reality
 
free ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,031
Thanks: 476
Thanked 319 Times in 199 Posts
Insanity? Let's talk insanity:

Juan Cole: Hey, Sarah Palin is just like Mahmoud Ahmadinejad!

And it's true -- aside from a few pesky details, such as that he is a genocidally-inclined Jew-hater who holds power by murdering his own people, and she isn't, it's an exact match!

It's all about "right-wing populism," doncha know. Witless Moral Equivalence Alert: "Sarah Palin, meet Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: You two right-wing populists have a surprising amount in common," by Juan Cole in Salon, August 3 (thanks to James):

Quote:
[...] Right-wing populism, rooted in the religion, culture and aspirations of the lower middle class, is often caricatured as insane by its critics. That judgment is unfair. But it is true that such movements often encourage a political style of exhibitionism, disregard for the facts as understood by the mainstream media, and exaltation of the values of people who feel themselves marginalized by the political system. Not all forms of protest, however, are healthy, even if the protesters have legitimate grievances. Right-wing populism is centered on a theory of media conspiracy, a "my country right or wrong" chauvinism, a fascination with an armed citizenry, an intolerance of dissent and a willingness to declare political opponents mere terrorists. It is cavalier in its disregard of elementary facts and arrogant about the self-evident rightness of its religious and political doctrines. It therefore holds dangers both for the country in which it grows up and for the international community. Palin is polling well at the moment against other Republican front-runners such as Mitt Romney, and so, astonishingly, is a plausible future president. At least Iranians only got Ahmadinejad because of rigged elections, and they had the decency to mount massive protests against the result.
They share an "intolerance of dissent and a willingness to declare political opponents mere terrorists"? Only in the febrile and paranoid propaganda of the Left. And the Iranian President has a "fascination with an armed citizenry"? After seeing the mullahs' thugs brutalize the unarmed people of Iran over the last few weeks, to equate Ahmadinejad with Palin in this way is nothing short of obscene.
__________________
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
~ Buddha
free ranger is offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #58
free ranger
Perception is reality
 
free ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,031
Thanks: 476
Thanked 319 Times in 199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly View Post
Free Ranger posts the "Immoral Minority" on Trig.
Why yes I did - I find it is good to shine the light on those who others cite as their source of 'information' about Palin.

Here is more:

LEAVE JESSE GRIFFIN ALONE!

Time to address something that came up in the comments at a previous post, and deserving of a separate post: People are making violent threats against Jesse Griffin, the anti-Palin blogger who finally published one too many libels and inadvertantly outed himself as a result.

First: Stop the threats, everybody. Some threats were inadvertantly approved in the earlier thread, only because I'm so dog-tired I can barely see straight.


Second: Don't let Griffin get away with his "martyr for truth" schtick. Anybody with any knowledge of libel law could see that, by passing along third-hand salacious gossip about the Palins' marriage, Griffin was not merely on thin ice, he was treading water with a legal millstone around his neck. (No, "multiple sources" are not magic words.)

However, given my own personal experience with Internet-induced madness, and given the even more frightening experiences of such friends as Michelle Malkin and Jeff Goldstein, I don't want to see anyone, even a lying idiot like Griffin/"Gryphen," suffer threats of personal retaliation on account of what they've posted on a blog.

...By the way, I'm loving how some of the commenters are picking up on the Cargo Cult Journalism trick that Dennis Zaki and Jesse Griffin have used to smear the Palins. It's the "sources said" voodoo, where the magic words are an incantation empowering you to say anything you want.

It's a game that's fun to play. Like you could play it with your wife: "Honey, those jeans make you look fat, sources said." And then when she clobbers you, she's violating your First Amendment rights.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009
WOW! JESSE GRIFFIN WAS RIGHT!

I can't believe this! After she denied it in a direct quote! But Jesse had it right the whole time! Sarah Palin really is getting divorced after having an affair with . . .

BIGFOOT?

Hey, "multiple sources," right? And compared to Dennis "Bozo" Zaki (who is actually not a stringer for CNN, as he had previously claimed) the Weekly World News is a paragon of . . . what's that word? Ah, yes: "Integrity"!

Well, obviously, I don't know anything about that stuff. My speciality is history, and if Hiroshima wasn't enough, guess we'll have to . . . well, just keep reading here and at Dan Riehl's blog.


THE GRYPHEN FILES:
E-MAIL TO JESSE GRIFFIN


Just sent this e-mail:
To start with Griffin, don't lecture me about libel. Screw you, you miserable little pissant. I didn't work my way up -- starting with a $4.50-an-hour staff writer job at a 6,000-circulation weekly in 1986 -- so some random loser could lecture me about libel law.

I spent more than two decades with a copy of the AP Stylebook And Libel Manual within arm's reach, and I know the difference between facts and bulls***, a distinction you seem to have trouble making. And you want to lecture Dan Riehl about "integrity"? When he told me that, I was half tempted to risk Dan's wrath by just going off on my own, but there are more important things to consider and I wouldn't want to make Dan angry, so I waited.

You made a serious mistake when you published that Palin divorce rumor, Griffin, and your idiot friend Zaki made another serious mistake by pretending to have confirmed it with "multiple sources." What you did, to borrow a term from military science, was to surrender the initiative to your enemy.
Even if Todd and Sarah had been ready to call it quits Saturday morning (and since my sources apparently aren't as good as yours, I have no way of knowing), you handed them a perfect weapon of revenge, which they can now use at their discretion. All they have to do is not file for divorce, and they make you a liar. And if they decide to sue your a**, I'm thinking you don't want a jury trial, so the folks in the jury box can see them every day, sitting in the front row holding hands all lovey-dovey.

Idiot. The other day I was telling my wife I'd have loved to have seen you try to file that "story" at The Washington Times some night when Geoff Etnyre was the M.E. in charge. You and Zaki would have been fired on the spot.

Working at a real news organization, as opposed to the idiot crap you and Zaki do, requires responsibility to others -- colleagues, bosses, advertisers, owners and, above all, the readers. As much as I love playing the Internet joker since quitting the Times in January 2008, I try to make it clear to readers the difference between when I'm being serious and when I'm just clowning around. After all, I've got a serious career as a freelance journalist, with a wife and six kids to worry about, and even if most blog readers "get it" when I'm just joking, misunderstandings can sometimes cause trouble.
Let's talk a little bit about "sources," Griffin. Until I came to Washington in 1997, I'd never worked for a newspaper that allowed what we call "blind sourcing," the anonymous "senior administration official" and so forth. Well, Washington is a different game (and I've got the knives in my back to prove it), so I had to learn how to deal with this "sources said" stuff.
One of the basic rules, insisted on by our Old School editor-in-chief Wes Pruden, was that you couldn't hang a story entirely on blind sources. You had to have something else -- some kind of document, or an official who was willing to go on the record and "put his name on it" -- or else it looked like you were just peddling gossip.

It didn't matter if the reporter knew that the story was right. Without something concrete to anchor the story, the reader might get the impression you were, to quote a highly-placed Republican source, "making stuff up." You owed it to your readers, and to the reputation of the paper, to get something or someone into that story that would let them know for sure they were getting the real deal. Otherwise, you couldn't publish it. And woe unto the poor schmuck on the national desk (alas, it was sometimes me) who signed off on a story where the reporter failed to "back up his lede."
It was for many years my honor to edit the work of such fine reporters as Jerry Seper, Audrey Hudson, Stephen Dinan and Ralph Z. Hallow. Ask any of those guys how much arguing was sometimes required to get a story just right, so that when we printed 110,000 copies, nobody at the White House, Congress or the FBI could dispute our credibility. Ask those guys, and maybe they'll tell you Stacy McCain is a clueless dilbert who doesn't know good journalism from a hole in the ground, but that's their right. It was their bylines on those stories, and if I screwed up the story by an editing error (the reporter's worst nightmare) then my stupidity could damage their credibility.

Speaking of credibility, Griffin, you don't have any. Given how wrong you were about the Palin divorce, you've blown whatever chance you ever had of being someone that people should take seriously. And given all the things you've written about Palin over the past several months, I'd guess the "malice" part of a libel action against you would be a lead-pipe cinch. But I'm not a lawyer, so that's just a guess.

Mala fides, as the lawyers say, is a dangerous thing. There have been times when I've been assigned to do a story -- and I wore two hats, doing both reporting and editing at The Times -- involving persons or organizations I considered evil. And when you get a story like that, the trick is to do it Joe Friday style: "Just the facts, ma'am." Like one of my first editors told me, "As long as you've got your facts right" -- i.e., as long as the story is accurate -- "they can't touch you." So if you're doing a story about somebody you can't stand, you tend to err on the side of caution. That's another Old School editor's maxim: "When in doubt, leave it out."

But you don't know that stuff, Griffin, because you're a phony -- and I state that as an objective fact. Sue me. You are trying to seem like you're reporting news without actually doing the work. That's as dangerous as mala fides, and when you combine the two . . .

Your bulls*** about "my best source" had some serious unintended consequences, Griffin. Among other things, you ruined my weekend. Frankly, I didn't give a damn about what was going on in Wasilla. I was planning to spend the weekend chilling out so I could spend this week up on Capitol Hill talking to my sources on the IG investigations. Byron York beat me last week, which was my own fault, and now I've got to play catch-up.
Instead, I ended up spending all Saturday knocking down the bogus story from you and Zaki -- the Woodward and Bernstein of Anchorage -- which left me entirely frazzled. And then I got a call Sunday morning from Dan Riehl, and my weekend descended into the seventh circle of Hell.

Your "best source"? Let me make something clear, Griffin: If I ever quote an unnamed source, it's with the understanding that, should any legal action result, my source will be willing to go on the record and testify on my behalf. There is a basic newspaper rule: If you publish something, and get a complaint from somebody who claims libel and starts talking about lawyers and lawsuits, the conversation is over. Have their lawyer talk to your lawyer, and if the lawyer says retract, retract.

A good reporter never burns his sources, but a good source never burns a reporter. If one of my sources doesn't call me first with the big scoop, I feel insulted. But that's probably just the notoriously touchy pride of a Southerner. ("Sir, you have impugned my honor!") However, if one of my sources feeds me bogus stuff so that I end up putting my name on a story that's wrong, you'd better believe I'm going to make him regret it. ("Pistols at dawn, you lying scalawag!")

So when Sarah Palin gave me that quote denying the divorce rumor, she might not have known what she was getting herself into. As I wrote: "That worldwide exclusive quote from Sarah Palin? You can take that to the bank, baby. . . . After I'd filed that, however, I sent an e-mail containing the admonishment that now, no matter what happens, the Palins can never get divorced, as this would undermine my credibility." I'm told she thought that was funny. Except, I wasn't joking.

Right now, I'm about 60-40 between Palin '12 and Romney '12, but I'd prefer Palin, just because I might have a better shot at the "sources said" angle on that campaign. But if there's any problem between the governor and the "First Dude" (and like I said, my sources aren't good enough to give me the play-by-play, "if you get my drift") they'd better not get divorced, or it's time to kiss the White House good-bye. However scandalous an affair might be (headline: SARAH SHOOTS 'TWO-TIMING WEASEL') a divorce would make me look like a chump. Woe unto the source who makes me look like a chump.
By the way, Griffin, there's one point you and I agree on: Republicans are too uptight about sex. I've been happily married for 20 years and, as the father of six kids, I always laugh when liberals suggest that being a conservative means I'm sexually repressed. More like irrepressible. Sometimes I joke around with my single friends, urging them to get married, lest they fall prey to the temptation of fornication. A joke, but serious, too. When God gives a guy as ugly as me a wife as good-looking as mine, it's the kind of blessing I'd be a fool to reject. ("MRS. McCAIN SHOOTS TWO-TIMING WEASEL")

One of my journalistic heroes is Benjamin Franklin, who wrote in his autobiography that, as a child, he was often admonished by his father with a Bible verse, Proverbs 22:29: "Seest thou a man diligent in his work? He shall stand before kings, and his place shall not be among ordinary men." Like they say, claim the promise. Because I'm lazy by nature, God has relentlessly chastised me for that sin. Nothing good ever happens to me unless I sweat for it, like I've had to sweat since Saturday.

So far, I've stood before congressmen, senators, governors, attorneys general, first ladies and Cabinet secretaries, but never yet a president nor a king. Given that I'll be 50 in October, I'm starting to get a little impatient. But live or die, I'm sure one day I'll stand before a king. So I just keep working and praying.

Speaking of prayer, Griffin, on your blog you say you're an atheist. Maybe you should pray to Nothing and see if that helps.

Good luck,
Robert Stacy McCain
Co-author (with Lynn Vincent) of
DONKEY CONS: Sex, Crime &
Corruption in the Democratic Party

P.S.: I CC this to my co-blogger Smitty, and will also publish it in its entirety on my blog, just so you can't play cut-and-paste games on your own blog, Griffin.

P.P.S.: Is the name of your blog a play on words? One thing I could never resist is a double-entendre, but I'll wait.

Wait, and keep watching Dan Riehl's site. I spoke to Dan about an hour ago, and we agreed that when he goes with what he's got, I'll take a look at it and then decide what I need to go with. So Dan's got the lead on this story now, and he's the man to watch.

UPDATE: Dan Riehl goes live:

School-aged children who were PC literate apparently could have had access to information posted on his blog . . .

Because of this apparent portal between his MySpace real identiity and his "Gryphen" alter-ego, the allegedly anonymous Gryphen appears to have been out all along. . . .

The blog appears to have routinely displayed content such as describing then Governor and VP candidate Sarah Palin as wearing "f*ck me pumps" or debating the acceptability of such concepts as referring to former Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice as a "c*nt" . . .

Read the whole thing. Hey, how's that "praying to Nothing" workin' out for you, Griffin? What was it the Moe Lane said? Me, I can put anything on my blog. I'm a private citizen, a mere entrepreneurial journalist, First Amendment and all that. But a public-school kindergarten teaching assistant . . .? Not so much.

Oh, and good luck trying to flush it down the Memory Hole. We've got plenty of screen-capture JPGs.

Have a nice day!

Thursday, August 6, 2009
EXIT, LYING: SCHOOL'S OUT FOR
ANTI-PALIN BLOGGER GRIFFIN

ANCHORAGE KINDERGARTEN AIDE
RESIGNS FOLLOWING DISCLOSURE

Jesse Griffin, the Alaska blogger who Saturday claimed in an "exclusive" report that Todd and Sarah Palin were divorcing, will no longer work as an Anchorage kindergarten teaching assistant, school officials confirmed Wednesday.

Griffin's resignation followed revelations that the 49-year-old Griffin had posted (under the alias "Gryphen") sexually explicit advocacy of pornography and masturbation on his "Immoral Minority" blog. (See "Give Jesse Enough Rope" WARNING: GRAPHIC LANGUAGE.)

Because Griffin's MySpace profile page featured a link to "Immoral Minority," that material -- as well as other vulgar content, including descriptions of former Gov. Palin as "a nasty b*tch" who wore "f*** me pumps" -- could have been accessed by anyone searching online for "Jesse Griffin" in Anchorage. (See "Jesse Griffin: Disturbing Revelations," by Dan Riehl.)

Investigative blogger Dan Riehl on Wednesday spoke by phone with Anchorage school district officials who seemed to have been previously unaware of the graphic content on Griffin's "Immoral Minority" site. (See "Jesse Griffin: Latest Developments," by Dan Riehl. )

Riehl was interviewed Wednesday evening about the Griffin case on Eddie Burke's popular Anchorage KBYR radio program. Burke said on the program that school officials told him that Griffin had submitted his resignation and that the district had "no record of any inappropriate actions" by Griffin while he was employed at Trailside Elementary School in Anchorage.

"Sarah is finished with Todd and has decided to end their marriage," Griffin wrote at "Immoral Minority" Saturday morning, saying that "one of [his] best sources" had told him the Palins were divorcing. Griffin's story was immediately promoted by Dennis Zaki's "Alaska Report" site, which claimed that "multiple sources" had confirmed the report.

Jeanne Devon, an Anchorage Democratic activist who had previously blogged anonymously, also promoted Griffin's "exclusive" at the Huffington Post. As a result of this promotion, by Saturday afternoon Zaki's headline, "Todd and Sarah Palin to divorce," was the lead item at the popular Memeorandum political news site, even though it had already been officially denied by Palin spokeswoman Meg Stapleton.

Griffin wrote on his blog Wednesday, "I stand by every single word" of the original report, which accused Sarah Palin of attempting "to hide a broken relationship" with husband Todd.

Griffin blamed "the Palin team and their minions" for discovery of his "Gryphen" online alias, which he says resulted in death threats and harassment. During his KBYR interview, Riehl disparaged Griffin's credibility.

"Right now, the best I can tell, [Griffin] has 'bogus' written so much all over him it should be his middle name," Riehl said, adding that he had discovered "one lie after another" from Griffin.

Griffin wrote Wednesday at "Immoral Minority" that he had a "long career working with children in gymnasiums, camps, and various schools."

After revelations that Griffin had used his "Immoral Minority" site to advocate "self pleasure" and express his preference for amateur pornography, Griffin told his blog readers Wednesday: "I think what is truly frightening is how ready some people are to believe that just because you are a male who works with kids you must be a pervert. . . . The truth is that I have never even been accused of anything inappropriate with a child in my classroom, camp, or home. It has simply never happened."

Further updates are expected at RIEHL WORLD VIEW.
__________________
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
~ Buddha

Last edited by free ranger; 08-06-2009 at 02:05 PM.
free ranger is offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #59
free ranger
Perception is reality
 
free ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,031
Thanks: 476
Thanked 319 Times in 199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly View Post
Wedding ring rumor is false. Horrors. It isn't at the bottom of Lake Lucille? Of course Lake Lucille is somewhat poisoned. The locals don't eat the fish from Lake Lucille.

How about eating lobster and drinking champagne? At Michaels in NYC? (the Obama rumored lobster and champagne dinner when out with his wife proved false. What outrage that one got from the far right. that eliteist!!!!)
Just why do YOU care? Palin is making book deals - so what? If she can make millions selling her books - why shouldn't she? Obama & the Clintons sure did that...is it okay for them to do it and not Palin? Why the double standards?

BTW - you should check out this fact:

Obama celebrates spending binge with cocktails and wagyu steak
(That would be on the taxpayer's dime - unlike Palin's meal)
__________________
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
~ Buddha

Last edited by free ranger; 08-06-2009 at 02:17 PM.
free ranger is offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #60
rryan
Where the hell am I?
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,880
Thanks: 167
Thanked 182 Times in 132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
Bouncing between extremist positions is disastrous. Extremism is what will bring down the country not socialism or capitalism.

We bounced from the right wing Regan/Bush team to the far left wing Clinton/Gore team to the extremist Bush/Cheney ticket to the ultra left Obama administration.

This isn't working very well. A far right, extremist response to the Obama years will only hasten our demise as a successful people.


Moderates have as strongly held convictions as you do. You like to belittle people who don't think like you but it diminishes your credibility.
Bush/Cheney were extremists? More like socialist lite.

As far as moderates go----I do not agree with comprising. There is no compromise with poison.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice--Barry Goldwater

The kind of man we need now.
__________________
“Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.”
-RAH

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #61
free ranger
Perception is reality
 
free ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,031
Thanks: 476
Thanked 319 Times in 199 Posts
And lilly - please explain this:

Quote:
Trig can never be president, and I am not making sport of his condition.
WTF???

So WHAT exactly ARE you saying?
__________________
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
~ Buddha
free ranger is offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #62
free ranger
Perception is reality
 
free ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,031
Thanks: 476
Thanked 319 Times in 199 Posts
Sarah Palin And Jesse Griffin: Alinsky's Rules For Radicals Turned On The Left

...Why, for example, do Lefty bloggers seem to have no problem spouting inane lies as fact. Think Andrew Sullivan and his Trig Palin stories. Think, now, Jesse Griffin, and his Trig Palin and more recently, Palin divorce rumors.

Dan's premise is that on the Left, blogging is deemed successful if it achieves a political purpose. That is why scores of Lefty blogs picked up an unsourced, unconfirmed, anonymous blog post and wrote it as fact. More than that, the tone of the writing was generally breathless and had a tabloid feel. Certainly not measured and reasoned.

Now, Dan Riehl has been investigating the blogger at Immoral Minority and found out that he's not very anonymous. The blogger outed himself, in fact, after being contacted by the Palin legal team. He didn't have to do that, but chose to, evidently, after being asked to take down the defamatory post at his blog.

On the Left, there is cheerleading for a blogger whose claim to fame has been trading in falsehoods. There has been mostly silence on the right except for the digging done by Dan Riehl and Robert Stacy McCain.

The Palin family has been subjected to an incredible amount of lies and smears. In this case, they fought back. In this case, some Right-leaning bloggers did some digging of their own. And while the credibility of the now, not anonymous blogger is now in question, he will suffer no ill effects on the left (think Michael Moore and Andrew Sullivan) for being a wackadoodle. He'll actually get street cred. The point isn't to reveal a truth, for guys like this, it's to score political points which often means obscuring truth, providing a distraction, or outright lying.

...My thought is that they should fight. Because of Jesse Griffen's not-so-hidden identity, people seeking the actual truth have done some digging and published it. No one has to make anything up--good reporting is just giving the facts. At the very least, fighting back against a harasser will harass him and make him feel some of the discomfort he's inflicted elsewhere. Since liberals have trouble with empathy, this could be an education.

John Hawkins said that the Right needs to fight dirtier like this. Since the Left dictates the rules of the game--dirty, personal and isolating as Saul Alinsky says--why not turn the tables on them? And in the case of the Left, things don't need to be made up. The truth is bad enough.

Note: I'm thinking about Rush Limbaugh here, too. He refused to be cornered. He fought back against the most powerful radical, Barack Obama. The fighting actually strengthened Rush. Perhaps the same thing will happen with Sarah Palin. This makes me think that the wise course for her is to fight.
__________________
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
~ Buddha
free ranger is offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #63
lilly
Senior Level 5
 
lilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,731
Blog Entries: 71
Thanks: 595
Thanked 314 Times in 264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by free ranger View Post
And lilly - please explain this:



WTF???

So WHAT exactly ARE you saying?
see

http://palindeception.blogspot.com/
lilly is offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #64
Coyote
Senior Level 2
 
Coyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,957
Thanks: 12
Thanked 182 Times in 103 Posts
Quote:
Bush/Cheney were extremists?
Indeed.

The last thing we need are more extremists of any kind.
__________________
Do not mess with the forces of nature, for thou art small and biodegradable
Coyote is offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #65
free ranger
Perception is reality
 
free ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,031
Thanks: 476
Thanked 319 Times in 199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly View Post
Wow -yet another hatefilled, unsourced, unconfirmed, anonymous blog post!

So you are a 'Birther' too? THAT explains a lot. You'd think you might wise up after falling for what Griffin, a 49 year old former kindergarten aide claimed - that he had multiple 'sources' regarding Trigs birth & the Palin's 'divoce'...right.
__________________
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
~ Buddha
free ranger is offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #66
lilly
Senior Level 5
 
lilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,731
Blog Entries: 71
Thanks: 595
Thanked 314 Times in 264 Posts
So posting a link makes ME a birther?

Hardly.

I'm supposed to wise up? About what? Posting a link?
lilly is offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #67
lilly
Senior Level 5
 
lilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,731
Blog Entries: 71
Thanks: 595
Thanked 314 Times in 264 Posts
Or daring to post a link that you don't like?

Or read a blog.

Or think for myself?

Or is it an obscure threat?

Is is Joe McCarthy time suddenly?
lilly is offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #68
lilly
Senior Level 5
 
lilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,731
Blog Entries: 71
Thanks: 595
Thanked 314 Times in 264 Posts
Disgusting.
lilly is offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #69
free ranger
Perception is reality
 
free ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,031
Thanks: 476
Thanked 319 Times in 199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly View Post
I read the imorral minority after the press reported that Palins lawyers were after the man. I never said I counted him as a source. You didn't like my NRA mention. I gave you the press link, and the story can be verified by you if you like to do so, since you could not find it anywhere.

I now have you and Ought six on ignore. Write what you like, because I certainly won't read it.
Oh please - you were up in arms that Griffin was outed - that Palin's fans were after a so-called kindergarten teacher. Well, as we all can see - Griffin is NOT a kindergarten teacher - he is a former kindergarten aide that had weird sexual posts (wonder how that fit in with him being around small children) and a Palin hater who somehow thought he was some sort of expert on the birth of Trig & about the Palin's marriage. NOT! But Griffen and others of his ilk are those who YOU used to glean information about your favorite obsession, Palin.

Quote:
Don't let Griffin get away with his "martyr for truth" schtick. Anybody with any knowledge of libel law could see that, by passing along third-hand salacious gossip about the Palins' marriage, Griffin was not merely on thin ice, he was treading water with a legal millstone around his neck. (No, "multiple sources" are not magic words.)
So it was okay for Griffin (and you) to pass along third-hand salacious gossip about the Palins' marriage, but it was WRONG for real investigative reporters to find out who was behind the lies? How sad.

Lilly, YOU were the one who posted:

Quote:
Trig can never be president, and I am not making sport of his condition.
When I asked exactly what did you mean by this - you posted a link to a Palin 'Birther' blog. Another hatefilled, unsourced, unconfirmed, anonymous blog that you love to glean for the latest Palin rumors.

That sure says a lot about you. You are certainly free to post whatever you wish - and I am free to contest it. Don't like them apples? Too bad.
__________________
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
~ Buddha

Last edited by free ranger; 08-06-2009 at 03:43 PM.
free ranger is offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #70
lilly
Senior Level 5
 
lilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,731
Blog Entries: 71
Thanks: 595
Thanked 314 Times in 264 Posts
There it is done. Two people on ignore.

I am a moderate, and an independent. If anyone here can't handle that. Say so.

I'm off to a picnic.

You can have this thread to yourselves. I'm too disgusted to even bother. I don't waste my time with stupid arguments. You don't like links to anyone you don't agree with? Too bad.

If you think I'm a troll, so be it.

I'll be damned if I tip toe around the delicate sensabilities of the far right.

You all have every right to your opinions, and in the end, that is all it is. Opinions. Rumors. Blogs of every stripe.

Don't bother warning me. Bann me outright for good.
lilly is offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 04:03 PM   #71
free ranger
Perception is reality
 
free ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,031
Thanks: 476
Thanked 319 Times in 199 Posts
Quote:
Don't bother warning me. Bann me outright for good.


What? Jeez...well I can add this to the long list of things I don't understand; which includes the blind hatred of Sarah Palin.

Who Hates Sarah Palin?

Why Elite Women Hate Palin

Hating Palin

I found this part most touching:

Quote:
With such attention we can discover some of the possible confusion of pundits and reveal the largely ignored messages contained in Governor Palin's statement. Most interesting is the discussion about her children:


Quote:
"In fact, this decision comes after much consideration, and finally polling the most important people in my life -- my children (where the count was unanimous... well, in response to asking: ‘Want me to make a positive difference and fight for ALL our children's future from OUTSIDE the Governor's office?' It was four "yes's" and one "hell yeah!" The "hell yeah" sealed it - and someday I'll talk about the details of that... I think much of it had to do with the kids seeing their baby brother Trig mocked by some pretty mean-spirited adults recently.) Um, by the way, sure wish folks could ever, ever understand that we ALL could learn so much from someone like Trig -- I know he needs me, but I need him even more... what a child can offer to set priorities RIGHT -- that time is precious... the world needs more ‘Trigs', not fewer."
The mocking of a disabled child, Trig Palin, must stand out as one of the most uniquely cruel and despicable contemporary trends of American politics. Could this be what Bill Clinton envisioned when he asked the nation to bring to an end the politics of personal destruction in the 1990s? It is clear that the entire Palin family would like to broaden their advocacy beyond the borders of Alaska. What is also clear is that pulsing at the center of Media contempt toward Palin is not simply stated positions on abortion but real life actions that are so striking and meaningful that they enrage a pretentious political community feigning interest in "women's rights."
__________________
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
~ Buddha
free ranger is offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #72
Ought Six
Dismember
 
Ought Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 35,164
Blog Entries: 15
Thanks: 176
Thanked 390 Times in 326 Posts
Arrow

l:
Quote:
"If you think I'm a troll, so be it. I'll be damned if I tip toe around the delicate sensabilities of the far right. You all have every right to your opinions, and in the end, that is all it is. Opinions. Rumors. Blogs of every stripe. Don't bother warning me. Bann me outright for good."
False Victimology 101. You do not need to be actually victimized; you just need to pretend that is happening. Then go for the capper; volunteer for martyrdom for 'defending free speech and your priniciples'. "Don't bother warning me. Bann me outright for good." Well played, lilly!

It is, of course, utterly childish and transparent passive-aggressive crap, but your friends will play along and it will make you feel better about yourself.



Live the delusion! Revel in the drama! False victimology will give your life true meaning!


Hey, it works for Al Sharpton!
__________________
* I have the right to live, thus I have the right to defend my life from attackers who would take it from me.
* I have the right to my private property, thus I have the right to defend my property from thieves who would take it from me.
* I have the right to self-determination, thus I have the right to defend my liberty from tyrants who would take it from me.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline  
Old 08-06-2009, 04:23 PM   #73
flourbug
fumbling around in the dark
 
flourbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: LOL, Florida!
Posts: 19,715
Thanks: 1,490
Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,691 Posts
Okay... nothing to see here. Move on, move on...
__________________
Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined. ~ Patrick Henry

Price history
flourbug is offline  
Old 08-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #74
rryan
Where the hell am I?
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,880
Thanks: 167
Thanked 182 Times in 132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly View Post
I never understood the winkin, ya betcha thing myself.

Her lawyer is threatening to serve papers to sue a kindergarten teacher blogger for writing that the Palins are having marital problems.

I didn't read his blog myself, as I think her marital issues are her own business, whatever they are.


If they decide to lead separate lives, that is their private concern.

And if they are blissfully happy, why isn't that sweet?


mmmmkay
__________________
“Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.”
-RAH

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline  
Old 08-11-2009, 03:38 PM   #75
lilly
Senior Level 5
 
lilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,731
Blog Entries: 71
Thanks: 595
Thanked 314 Times in 264 Posts
Levi speaking about her shakey marriage being the cause of her resignation is on Radar online. He didn't go into specifics, but I think he comes across as honest.

Levi was around them for years. The Palins insisted he go on the campaign stage, though he didn't want to be part of the sideshow.

Her marriage, is part of her selling her superior Christian family values.

When she ran for mayor against a man who helped her, she claimed he wasn't married to his wife (he was) as she had kept her maiden name. She claimed he wasn't a Christian because he went to a Lutherin Church (not her BRAND of christian.) And because of his name, that he must be a Jew.
lilly is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
celebrity, starlets”, talented, tiny

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.