Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Cleaning and Organizing

Cleaning and Organizing Tips and tricks to get your home and all within it sparkling clean and neat as a pin.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
D. Gale
Make a Wish

Default Cleaning products expire?!?!

Okay, experts. I've got it covered on the preps front, with my tables of how long foods keep and what to freeze and what to can and what to seal in jars and mylar bags, etc., etc.

But now I come across this site where the proprietor says "that dishwashing detergents of all types do have a shelf life. If you do not use the product within two weeks of opening up the container, you will probably see a less effective clean on your products."

WTF?

And this: "With the advent of bulk buying, many people are purchasing highly costly products that are cheaper in bulk. But, when you purchase them in this way, you end up not getting the most out of them. Instead of buying in bulk, by smaller and get more use out of it."

Huh?

I could understand if she was saying that they might not keep for several years, or even a number of months, but 2 weeks?

Any takers?
"The kill rate in humans infected with Ebola Zaire is nine out of ten. Ninety percent of the people who come down with Ebola Zaire die of it. Ebola Zaire is a slate wiper in humans." --Richard Preston, The Hot Zone

"Don't worry. Ebola could never gain a foothold in the west due to our advanced medical infrastructure and rigorous protocols." -- Exodia
D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

I think she is full of the brown stuff. If I was cleaning with fresh lemons I might be able to understand but other wise she is an idiot. Heck I've got a container of laundry soap that I've had since the the late 90's. It makes me itch so I only use it on really really stinky or excessively dirty stuff when nothing else is going to work. I haven't noticed any change in the quality and I've had it about 10 years.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

D.Gale I agree with LvDemWings. There is 2 of us in this house and it takes over a month to use up a small bottle of dish soap and over 4 months to use up a small bottle of laundry soap. I have not seen any difference in quality of either one.
Feather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

I have given this more thought and the only thing I can come up with is that maybe they are refering to some of the products that contain Oxyclean or peroxide based cleaners. They could very well degrade after opening.

I do know that liquid based cleaners like dish soap can evaporate some and the product can get thicker and you can unknowingly use a little more if you don't realize this but it still has nothing to do with the quality of the product. A little water added to the dish or laundry soap will fix things right up. I purchase/use multipurpose cleaners like Lysol and Mr. Clean. I don't want to be dragging a dozen bottles of stuff and multiple rags around on cleaning day.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:40 AM   #5
Mama Alanna
Grandma's Snugglepuppy

Thanked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
She's full of it in more ways than one. She doesn't make any distinction between dishwashING detergent and dishwashER detergent -- they're NOT interchangeable!! (Ever see what a kitchen looks like when a helpful child mistakes one for the other, and fills both the little cups in the dishwasher with the liquid meant for washing up at the sink? Let me just say that your floor gets nice and clean also.)

I wonder if "she" isn't a shill for some manufacturer. Stuff in small packages costs a lot more per ounce than stuff in large packages.

I've bought all three kinds of detergent, laundry, dishwasher, and dishwashing, in bulk containers for many years, and never notice a difference between the last of an old container and the first of a new one.

I've also noticed that the amount that many appliances and/or the detergent containers tell you to use is way off. I use about half of the amount of dishwasher and laundry detergent that you are 'supposed' to use, again without noticeable loss of cleaning over the full amount. Of course, YMMV if you have very hard water, very soiled clothes, etc. We rarely get clothes actually dirty; sweaty, yes, but not muddy. Experiment. Someone here said on another thread that he had found that lightly worn clothes often didn't need more detergent to get clean; if that's so, he may be using way too much to begin with.
--Josh Billings
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:32 AM   #6
neilyoungfan
Member Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Alanna View Post
I've also noticed that the amount that many appliances and/or the detergent containers tell you to use is way off.
Really! And of course, a lot of shampoo manufacturers tell you to lather your hair twice with their product. More waste!

From my experience with hydrogen peroxide, I'm not sure it deteriorates all that much. I've been using the same bottle for cuts and scrapes for over 5 years and it still bubbles on contact with an open cut on skin.
neilyoungfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
rb.
Hey, USA, you're not the boss of me!

I have a carpet cleaning machine, but no carpets. I have two door mats, and furniture that I cleaned with it. Can you imagine how long the bulk-sized carpet cleaner liquid lasts around here? ForEVAR. The current bottle I have has been here 4 years, and I've found no degradation of product. The only products I use quickly are dish detergent (both kinds), laundry detergent and ammonia based glass cleaner. But I've had stuff like Mr. Clean around for years in the past, with no degradation.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:17 AM   #8
Christy
Member Level 1

Balderdash and piffle!
The only product I know to expire is bleach (chloride).

I even rang a washingpowder company last year when a massive amount of their laundry detergent was on sale and then priced off. Asked how long it'd keep and they said a few years in a dark room minimum.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:28 AM   #9
VT9
Senior Level 2

I'm using a Costco sized jug of laundry detergent now that's been sitting in my closet since last summer. Seems to work fine. I imagine the new jug that's in there will be fine when I open it next year.

Dial anti bacterial hand soap. Bought a gallon jug prior to Y2K. Usually cut it about 50/50 with water. Still using it and cleans my hands just fine! Gotta get some back up as I'm down to the dregs on it.

Still working on a large box of Cascade that's several months old. Mixing it 50/50 with Kirkland brand eco-friendly dishwasher detergent. Why? That eco stuff sucks! Dishes don't get nearly as clean and the dishwasher gets a slight odor. GF picked that stuff up for me after I specified Cascade. She said it was better for the environment.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #10
US Blues

must be true, bottled water has an expiration date

US Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
rb.
Hey, USA, you're not the boss of me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Blues View Post
must be true, bottled water has an expiration date

Yeah, I heard it turns to vinegar or something.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #12
Deborah

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilyoungfan View Post
Really! And of course, a lot of shampoo manufacturers tell you to lather your hair twice with their product. More waste!

From my experience with hydrogen peroxide, I'm not sure it deteriorates all that much. I've been using the same bottle for cuts and scrapes for over 5 years and it still bubbles on contact with an open cut on skin.
I don't even use shampoo anymore and my hair is in much better condition for it. I clean my hair with conditioner only, and use no products that contain -cones. These require sulfate cleaners to remove, so generally you need a shampoo to clean the buildup from your hair.

I use a good size handful of conditioner on my scalp, and massage it in, then let it sit for 3-5 minutes while I relax in the tub. I massage my scalp again, then run my fingers thru my hair to get the conditioner all over it then rinse well. I add about 1/2 tsp of the condioner to my rinsed hair and leave it in for extra conditioning.

After a few years of this, my hair has much less breakage and splits, plus it just looks healthier overall. My daughter freaked out a little when I told her I hadn't shampooed my hair in over a year, lol. You should have seen her face.
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #13
PatS
Member Level 1

I think most of us are in agreement that soaps and detergents work well weeks and months after they've been opened.

But I do wonder if the anti-bacterial cleaning sprays that rely on bleach are as effective weeks after opening. Sure, they still "clean" years later (the detergents in them still work), but are they still killing 99.9% (or whatever they claim) of the germs they come in contact with? I only use anti-bacterials on food prep surfaces after handling raw meat, which means a spray bottle lasts a loooong time around here. But since bleach degrades with exposure to air, I wonder if bleach-containing cleaners don't also lose their germ-killing properties?
PatS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, expire, products