Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News

News This is the forum where we post hard news and current events. If it is outside the box then that is where it goes. If it is your opinion, please write in the Op/Ed forum.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #1
Renegade
Certified Southern Moderator

Default Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg taken to hospital

Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:31pm EDT

By James Vicini

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was taken on Thursday to a Washington hospital for evaluation after she experienced lightheadedness and fatigue, a Supreme Court spokeswoman said in a statement.

Ginsburg, 76, was taken to the Washington Hospital Center Thursday evening as a precaution after feeling ill in her chambers following an iron sucrose infusion earlier in the day to treat anemia, Supreme Court spokeswoman Kathy Arberg said.

Ginsburg has been reliable liberal vote since her selection in 1993 by former Democratic President Bill Clinton, but if she were to resign it would not likely change the court's balance.

In recent years, the court has issued many divided opinions on a 5-4 vote in favor of conservatives, and that was expected to continue when the new session starts October 5 with Justice Sonia Sotomayor now on the court.

Ginsburg underwent a comprehensive health assessment in July 2009 involving imaging scans and comprehensive blood tests, the court spokeswoman said.

"The result of this evaluation was that she was in completely normal health with the exception of a low red blood cell count caused by deficiency of iron. Intravenous iron therapy was administered in a standard fashion," Arberg said.

After given an infusion of iron sucrose on Thursday, Ginsburg felt faint, developed light headedness and fatigue.

Arberg said medical assistance was summoned from the Office of the Attending Physician, which provides medical care for members of Congress and the Supreme Court. The medical evaluation disclosed that Ginsburg had a slightly low blood pressure, Arberg said.

"She was monitored at the Court, blood tests were performed and she was found to be in stable health," the spokeswoman said. Fluids were administered and her symptoms improved, but she was taken as a precaution for evaluation at the nearby Washington Hospital Center, the statement said.

Questions were raised about how much longer Ginsburg will stay in her job after she underwent surgery in February for pancreatic cancer. She did not miss any public sessions and returned to the bench 2 1/2 weeks after surgery.

Ginsburg had colon cancer in 1999, and did not miss any sessions then either.

(Writing by JoAnne Allen; Editing by Jackie Frank)

http://www.reuters.com/article/polit...58O01120090925
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow Forgot to take her Geritol....

Justice Ginsburg Released From Hospital

By BRENT KENDALL
The Wall Street Journal
SEPTEMBER 25, 2009

WASHINGTON -- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was released from a local hospital Friday morning, a day after she became ill following treatment for an iron deficiency.

"Justice Ginsburg was released from Washington Hospital Center this morning and plans to be at work at the court this afternoon," court spokeswoman Kathleen Arberg said in a statement.

Justice Ginsburg, 76 years old, received an iron sucrose infusion Thursday and later felt light-headed and fatigued. She was admitted to the hospital "as a precaution for evaluation," the court said.

The court said Justice Ginsburg in July had a comprehensive health exam in which she was found to be "in completely normal health" except for a low red blood cell count due to the iron deficiency.

In February, Justice Ginsburg underwent surgery to remove cancerous cells after doctors found signs of pancreatic cancer. She had a followup treatment, completed the Supreme Court term and is preparing to sit again in the new term set to begin on Oct. 5.
_____

Write to Brent Kendall at brent.kendall@dowjones.com
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow Back in the hospital *again*....

Ginsburg Released After Overnight Hospital Stay

By Greg Stohr
Bloomberg
Oct. 15

Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the U.S. Supreme Court’s second-oldest justice, was hospitalized overnight for the second time in three weeks after suffering a reaction to a sleeping aid combined with a cold medication.

Ginsburg, released from the hospital today, had boarded a plane for London last night when she “experienced extreme drowsiness causing her to fall from her seat,” the court said in a statement. “Paramedics were called and the justice was taken to the Washington Hospital Center as a precaution.”

Ginsburg, 76, is a two-time cancer survivor who was treated for pancreatic cancer in February and colon cancer in 1999. In both cases, she returned to the bench without missing any arguments.

She was hospitalized overnight last month after feeling faint following an iron sucrose infusion that was administered to treat a form of anemia.

Ginsburg was scheduled to join three of her colleagues, including Chief Justice John Roberts, at the ceremonial opening of the U.K. Supreme Court in London. Justice Stephen Breyer was on the flight with Ginsburg when she became ill, Supreme Court spokeswoman Patricia McCabe Estrada said. Breyer got off with her and later rescheduled his flight to London, Estrada said.

Doctors evaluated Ginsburg at the hospital and found her to be in “stable health,” according to the court’s statement.

Estrada said she didn’t know which medications Ginsburg took. The sleeping aid was a prescription drug and the cold medicine was an over-the-counter treatment.

Ginsburg has said that she wants to stay on the court for at least another decade. A member of the court’s liberal wing, she supports abortion rights, affirmative action and limits on the death penalty.
_____

To contact the reporter on this story: Greg Stohr in Washington at gstohr@bloomberg.net.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:48 AM   #4
neilyoungfan
Member Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
Ginsburg Released After Overnight Hospital Stay

Ginsburg was scheduled to join three of her colleagues, including Chief Justice John Roberts, at the ceremonial opening of the U.K. Supreme Court in London. Justice Stephen Breyer was on the flight with Ginsburg when she became ill, Supreme Court spokeswoman Patricia McCabe Estrada said. Breyer got off with her and later rescheduled his flight to London, Estrada said.
Supreme Court justices are allowed to take flights together?!? I would think in case of an airplane crash, it would be prudent to have a rule that they aren't allowed on the same flight. Many companies don't allow their senior level staff to fly together for this reason.
neilyoungfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
court, ginsburg, hospital, justice, supreme