Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Flu Discussion

Flu Discussion This subroom is intended for "soft discussion" of flu-related topics. This includes general chat, joke threads, scenarios, discussions of personal feelings, etc.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
Sonny
Senior Level 4

Default Family loses daughter to swine flu after pleading with doctors for five days for Tamiflu.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/...87620#33387447

Last edited by Sonny; 10-19-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
ontariomom
Member Level 2

This is a sad story...but I think the father's statement about her life continuing through her daughter was touching. It's a miracle that the baby was born and in the condition that she was for a preemie is a blessing.

I wonder though, if Tamiflu is supposed to be prescribed within the first 48hours in order to be effective, and it sounds to me like this girl had symptoms for at least that length of time before they started pushing for it...I mean the Tamiflu wouldn't have saved her anyways would it?
ontariomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
Sysiphus
Senior Level 5

Let me guess - she didn't have a fever? This pisses me off so much.
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
Kassy
Eurothrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndriley97 View Post
Let me guess - she didn't have a fever? This pisses me off so much.
She reported in with the classical symptoms including fever and was sent home with a diagnosis of 'ILI'.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:16 AM   #5
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Isn't the CDC now recommending to START antiviral treatment EVEN BEFORE H1N1 is confirmed?????

This is getting quite nasty.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...1_hospita.html

Quote:
The CDC is urging doctors to give antiviral medications like Tamiflu as soon as possible to people -- including pregnant women -- who are severely ill with flu symptoms. Doctors should not wait for lab-confirmed test results before administering these medications, she said.
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!

Last edited by Auburn Boy; 10-21-2009 at 02:25 AM.
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:22 AM   #6
ontariomom
Member Level 2

I'm wondering if the CDC are seeing the increase in stories like this and making the recommendation based on that.

It should have been done all along. If in a persons own mind they feel that they are really ill, and not just "OMG I feel SO crappy" but "OMG I think I might die if I leave this office" they should be given the antivirals.

They keep stressing that "most people will recover with just a few days at home". Then in another story they are talking about young people with mild symptoms who suffer major organ failure, or young people who develop severe pneumonia. I mean you don't know what to believe anymore.

And for the record....in Ontario at least the pneumonia vac. is NOT being given out unless you are highrisk. Given that this pandemic is taking hold on those who aren't classified as high risk I think it should be an option for us all.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 3,375 Times in 1,904 Posts
Yeah, I asked my doc's office about the pneumovax. To my surprise, they called me about a week after my pneumonia Rx. I'm not one of those people who follows the instruction of: "Come back in a week or two so we can make sure you're okay." If I'm better or getting there, why waste their time or mine? If I'm not improving... they'll see me! LOL

But I didn't go back & to my surprise, my own doctor called to make sure I was on the mend. I asked about the pheumovax & meningococcal at that point & that was the answer I got. No pneumovax unless you're high risk & they're not handing out meningococcal vax either. He told me meningococcal will be rolled out in any area where there's any outbreak - be it primary or seconday to flu. He wasn't sure the reasons behind the pneumovax holdback.

My ideal 'plan' would have been seasonal vax, pneumovax & meningococcal - ain't gonna happen.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
Mama Alanna
Grandma's Snugglepuppy

Thanked 1,099 Times in 513 Posts
Really? Down here they are pushing the meningococcal on TV ads, urging parents to get their kids vaccinated. And I had no problem getting the pneumovax a couple of years ago. Of course, I'd already turned 50, have the fibro, and live with DH and his heart disease/diabetes, so that might count as 'high risk'
--Josh Billings
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:24 AM   #9
ontariomom
Member Level 2

Yep, not here.

I begged our doctor for it for my hubby, myself and my stepson. My son has had it as it is now a routine immunization for children.

But they said flat out "no". I was told that it is in limited supply in Canada and that they are only giving it out to people who are considered highrisk.

I would think at this point, young adults, or a person (like my hubby) who has high bp. and thyroid conditions, would qualify.

I mean I am just pushing 30, and being a female...I am scared! But no such luck...my doctor thinks I am a hypochondriac anyways, so that doesn't help.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
Mama Alanna
Grandma's Snugglepuppy

Thanked 1,099 Times in 513 Posts
Are you close enough to the border, OM, to see if you can get it at a US pharmacy or Urgent Care Center?
--Josh Billings
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #11
ontariomom
Member Level 2

Probably about 7 or 8 hours. And with the new passport laws we would be screwed cause both our passports are long expired!

Tags
daughter, days, doctors, father, flu, looses, pleading, swine, tamiflu