Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Flu Discussion

Flu Discussion This subroom is intended for "soft discussion" of flu-related topics. This includes general chat, joke threads, scenarios, discussions of personal feelings, etc.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

Default Are you getting the H1N1 shot?

At first I thought I wouldn't get the H1N1 vaccine, was really on the fence at times and now I'm leaning toward getting it for myself and the kids! Dh says no way he's still not getting it!

Did you plan on getting it or didn't plan on getting it and now changing your mind?
MicheleMaBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
ukmum

I think No for this year, as we have all had it there does not seem to be much point, but if offered next year then yes I probably will.

(PS none of the family have any underlying med conditions)
ukmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Brooks
Member Level 2

I never had any intention of getting it. Meanwhile, I think we both had H1N1 late August. We managed fine.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
Mama Alanna
First sign of spring

I was not going to get it if the choice was to go with an adjuvant (which they may still do, since there isn't the production that was hoped for, and local clinics are running out with hundreds of people still in line.) If I'm offered a non-adjuvant vaccine, I'll take it.
--Josh Billings
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
ontariomom
Member Level 2

At this point my family and I are passing.

If the virus should mutate and become more virulent we may change our minds.

We have not yet, at least to my knowledge, had the H1N1....we have had several viruses since it's emergence but not sure if any of them were the true deal.

We do not have much contact with crowded areas, we work in a building that only employs 7 people.

The ONLY exposure we have through school, my SS, every other week as I have held my son out this year.

We are just going to be as careful as we can and hope for the best.
ontariomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,355 Posts
Nope.

It will be a component of the trivalent seasonal vax next year.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
D. Gale
Make a Wish

I'm still on the fence for DS#2 (asthma), but it's a definite no for the rest of us. I'll probably call and talk to his pediatrician this week just to see what he's recommending. I do still need to get him a pneumovax...
D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Oric
El Turco

too late ... already at schools ... the sons may already be infected
Oric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
Key
Member Level 4

Never had planned on getting it and haven't changed my mind.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #10
jason
Official Peon

Hope this isn't a repost...

jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

This will be a statistic.., A sad event nonetheless.

When a number of these types of "side-effects" can be compiled into a "see we told you the flu shot was bad for you" proof of causation.

I saw that girl in a newscast Thursday night. Very sad condition to be left in..,
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #12
jason
Official Peon

Agreed. You have a much higher chance of being killed driving your car this week than getting what she has.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
Samen
unregistered

No
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #14
Eden

For those that are answering "No" without an explanation, is that because you think you've already had it, you feel it isn't safe, it's too late or what are your reasons? Hope you don't mind my asking.
Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #15
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Edn, I'm conservative about medications - any & all types & especially new meds or new formulations of meds. In Canada, the H1N1 vax is a formulation that's never been licenced - not with the adjuvant. Now I'm not for a second suggesting it's NOT safe - I simply don't know that, one way or another. I had decided I was not taking the pandemic flu vax until it had been out there six months.

Now that I've had the flu, the point is moot. My step daughter had the flu first, so she's not getting the shot either. We don't think my better half has had this flu but he's not having the vaccine for the reasons I've listed.

I have spoken to a number of people I know. Many feel it's too late for the vaccine - it's all through their childrens' schools & they suspect their kids either have it now or are incubating it. Most who are not wanting it are expressing concerns over the constant flip flopping we've seen from the federal government - it's doesn't inspire confidence. The majority aren't happy about a Canadian made vax, just beginning testing in Canada, being rushed out.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #16
Eden

CanadaSue, Yeah, not too keen on being a government Guinea 'Swine' myownself. Trying to be funny with that... Sorry.
I guess what I'm trying to determine is whether the majority of knowledgeable folks here think that the panvax itself is a greater threat than the actual virus (and having a full-blown pandemic)?
Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #17
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Honestly, the virus is probably the bigger threat for most people. Today for reasons I couldn't help, I've not been able to follow what apparently has been a very eventful day in the world of flu. I'm grabbing something to eat here & starting the process of catching up before I say anything else.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #18
Key
Member Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
Honestly, the virus is probably the bigger threat for most people. Today for reasons I couldn't help, I've not been able to follow what apparently has been a very eventful day in the world of flu. I'm grabbing something to eat here & starting the process of catching up before I say anything else.
Don't stress yourself about it. I don't think the big 'emergency declaration' is any big deal at all. Other than that, it has been a relatively quiet day in fluland.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:30 PM   #19
alfalfacentari

No. I prefer to let my bodies defences do their work unimpaired.
alfalfacentari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #20
BirdGuano
H1N1 Crash Dummy

NO.

I was offered the live nasal version early as one of the first responder cohorts, and I declined.

The whole family had H1N1 symptoms even before the Mexico cases started popping up last year, and we just recovered from a bout of suspect H1N1 this week, although mild.

I did not take the vax because of the adjuvant issue, the fact that it was rushed through the approval process, manufacturer liability immunity.

Mostly because of the adjuvant issue, the rushed approval process, and the fact that the CFR is not at my trigger point.

Flat out. I don't trust them. A couple of hundred thousand other guinea pigs can be first, then I'll make a determination.

If it goes high CFR, then I'll reconsider. I may just consider sheltering in place at that point.

Quote:
"It is better to have lived one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep." -- Tibetan proverb
News and commentary updates on Twitter @guanosphere
BirdGuano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #21
preppiechick
Senior Level 1

BG-

That was EXACTLY my initial reaction. But then there were those cases (kids) who didn't present with any symptoms, or extremely mild ones, and by the time they caught it, it was too late. With my oldest dd and I having asthma, and my youngest dd suspected of asthma, I made the very difficult decision to allow them to receive the shot at school, when it becomes available. I still have time to change my mind, but the scale tipped the other way for me, this week. It may be moot, anyway, because I think that is what we have had, on and off for a little over a week, but then there were some stories of reinfection. Ugh! This thing is makes my head hurt, just like washington does!!!!
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands now deserves the love and thanks of men and woman. Tyranny like hell is not easily conquered yet we have this consolation with us, the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value."

-Thomas Paine
preppiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:37 PM   #22
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

If I lived in the US & HADN'T had the flu already, I'd not hesitate to roll up my sleeve. You either get a FluMist type vax or the monovalent version of the seasonal shot using pH1N1. They've NOT, (yet), added any adjuvants to it save for the same ones used every year - aluminum based.

It's CANADA using the previously unlicenced version with a squalene based adjuvant.

And at that - IF the CFR was higher than it currently seems to be, if the illness was rougher than it is AND if I hadn't already had the flu, my decision might be very different. If I had known risk factors such as asthma, cardiac conditions, diabetes, etc. I wouldn't hesitate more than a few minutes. I'd judge my risk higher from the flu than the vax & take the vax.

And that's the problem for a great many here. It's flu & flu sucks but as far as flus go, for most this is remaining pretty mild. Most seem to prefer to take their risks with H1N1 than the vax.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:14 AM   #23
Fiddlerdave
Not Active

Yes. I had regular flu 10 years ago, and the memory is still fresh enough that there are a lot of chances I will take to miss that experience again. I have already had the regular flu shot, and will do it again in December. I am waiting for the H1N1 injectable, but if it doesn't show up soon, I'll do the mist. I'd do it (and have done it) even if I didn't have serious heart issues now.

Plus, one of the hospitals I have work at has turned a neuro ward over to H1N1, and not one of those people looks like they will live! Ventilators, the whole deal. Nothing mild there!
Fiddlerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:20 AM   #24
Kassy
Eurothrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
CanadaSue, Yeah, not too keen on being a government Guinea 'Swine' myownself. Trying to be funny with that... Sorry.
I guess what I'm trying to determine is whether the majority of knowledgeable folks here think that the panvax itself is a greater threat than the actual virus (and having a full-blown pandemic)?
It should be a very bad vaccine if it's worse then the actual virus. Of course there are incidents like in the video above (but if the vaccine triggers an underlying condition flu infection would probably have done so?).

Then there's a lot of mix ups in the debate.

Arguments like look how it worked out in the seventies...which aren't valid because this flu has spread much further then that seventies swine flu strain and there are a couple of decades of progress in between.

Arguments like 'look at the amount of vaccines young kids get' which is really another discussion not quite relevant to somewhat older kids etc.

Basically you have to assess whether you would be worse of with a bout of flu or with the vaccine.

I think making up your mind would've been easier if this virus had been nastier then it is. Now it's mostly mild but it can still kill a person over the weekend even without underlying symptoms although mostly the progression of disease takes longer...some patients spend a long time in hospital. The majority had some underlying symptoms but some didn't.

You really can't tell in advance.

I'm lucky enough to be in a designated risk group as defined by the Dutch nanny state (little less then a third of inhabitants is) so i've had the seasonal vaccine and i can get the PanVax halfway through November and again some 2 or 3 weeks after that and i will.

This virus kills people of my age group which the normal flu's don't do.

At some point a couple of months ago i read a description of a person who died...it wasn't very detailed but it could fit me. It kind of stood out and said 'so that's a pandemic' to me.

For me the vaccines are the best protection available since i don't do social distancing but will keep on working & be pretty exposed.

I've never been that distrustful of vaccines, never had problems with the ones i got. I think it's sensible to get PanVax if you're in the at risk groups or near one of them (caring for them or living with them).

We're only entering traditional flu season while it's apparently already pretty bad in the US, the UK flu numbers are shooting up and it has reached epidemic proportions in my little country where the usual peak of flu season is usually much later (end of year, January and February of the new year)...so it might be around for a while.

BTW: If things turn worse and you do get a vaccine at that time there's still some time before the vaccine provides protection...another reason to get it early on.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:27 PM   #25
Mrs. Hermit
Member Level 1

No, apparently have already had the flu. Thankful that even with cardio and lung disabilities, I had no complications. One of us did wind up with a sinus infection after the flu, but that may have already been in place.

Tags
h1n1, shot