Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Flu Discussion

Flu Discussion This subroom is intended for "soft discussion" of flu-related topics. This includes general chat, joke threads, scenarios, discussions of personal feelings, etc.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:37 PM   #26
Quiplash

Yes, absolutely. I'm overweight and have asthma, which puts me into the first priority group. The vaccination clinics open tomorrow morning and I plan to be there.

Quiplash.
Quiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #27
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,597 Posts
Quip - you're definitely making the right choice as far as I'm concerned. Two significant risk factors are two very good reasons to be first in line.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #28
Samen
unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
For those that are answering "No" without an explanation, is that because you think you've already had it, you feel it isn't safe, it's too late or what are your reasons? Hope you don't mind my asking.
My No is for various reasons.

I am pretty sure me and my family have had Swine Flu.

We have a good stock of antivirals at home

I have always been conservative (also my parents) on vaccinations. I have small pox and tetanus, tetanus I keep up to date. 2 kids have Florida school required vaccinations, which I regret. 1 kid has some but not the whole deal.

I don’t feel vaccinations are safe in general but a necessary evil, This in mind
Swine Flu vaccination is double unsafe. Say HIV vaccine for a sexually active 18 something would probably be worth the risk.

Swine Flu, well they don’t sell tin foil over here, only the aluminum foil and that leeks a bit but, how can you have a patent for a vaccine before the virus is actually discovered, it’s a big money thing in my opinion and natural selection should play a part instead of all this $$$ £££ €€€ hype.

Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #29
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Samn they didn't have a patent on the specific STRAIN. The patent was on the PROCESS & it's use for sub types known to infect humans or for the potential to do so. The patented vax process works for any/all strains affecting humans. It's like a CD player... it will run any CD by any group.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #30
Quiplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
Quip - you're definitely making the right choice as far as I'm concerned. Two significant risk factors are two very good reasons to be first in line.
I was patient number 4 this morning at the H1N1 vaccination clinic at the University of Manitoba. By the time I left, 70 people were lined up. I think they're going to do a brisk business today.

Quiplash.
Quiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #31
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Excellent & don't forget to USE the arm vaxed. If you baby it, you may end up pretty swollen/stiff. Use it briskly today & you'll minimize the risk of local reactions.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #32
lilly
Senior Level 5

No.

Older people are not going to get the vaccine from what I heard. I don't really want this particular vaccine. If it becomes mandatory, then I'll will

. Sure it will be a part of next years seasonal mix.

I'm depending on massive Vitamin D3 pills every day. So far no illness.
lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #33
Sonny
Senior Level 4

Do you remember being in a doctor's office and hearing ear piercing screams of a kid getting jabbed with a needle? that sound that says, " I am not consolable" expressions of true trauma and betrayal, "the Horror, the horror" at least thats how I remember it.

Some people never do get over the Horror, the betrayal, the trauma.
and If you listen you can hear them even today, on the web
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #34
lilly
Senior Level 5

no vaccine shot, and I have gotten them all, (but for the swine flu shot I didn't get on the advice of my doctor,) have hurt. Don't feel a thing, never had a reaction.
lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #35
Sonny
Senior Level 4

Lilly, i wasn't talking to or about you.
I've always known there were 52 cards in your deck.

Sonny
Old 10-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #36
Sonny
Senior Level 4

he H1N1 Vaccine - And posted October 24, 2009

I am typically amused by the things people claim on the opinion page, but I must write in response to this email. As a health care professional, one must be careful to separate opinions from facts. The facts and the science clearly show that the H1N1 Vaccine is safe and effective.

The H1N1 vaccine was developed with the same care and methods that are used to develop the seasonal flu vaccine. The only difference is that some regulators allowed the distribution earlier than would typically have been allowed to respond to this pandemic. Now that the vaccine is in distribution, there is essentially no difference between this vaccine and the seasonal flu vaccine.

Your mention of Guillain-Barré syndrome in an opinion about H1N1 is misleading. Note that people are at low risk of GBS with or without the flu vaccine. Most studies show no link between GBS and current vaccines. Only two studies have shown a very slight increase in risk of GBS, approximately one additional person out of one million vaccinated people for the seasonal flu. I have seen no legitimate theory or study to suggest the H1N1 vaccine would create any greater risk of GBS.

It may be fun to repeat rumors and talking points when discussing politics, but in health matters like the H1N1 flu vaccine, you must stick to the facts. I would urge all to read the CDC and WHO information and listen to your doctors. I know my family will get the H1N1 vaccine as soon as possible, including my eight-month old son.

Ted Biderman
Chattanooga

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_161604.asp
Old 10-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #37
Eden

My son, age 28, will not go anywhere near a vax clinic. He thinks it's all hyped BS. My daughter is "waiting to see what Mom will do." ..Mom is vacillating again and growing tired of thinking about it. None of us have any underlying medical conditions other than I am one of those pathetic smokers who's always quitting, then always falling off the wagon.
Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:53 PM   #38
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Quote:
CanadaSue, Yeah, not too keen on being a government Guinea 'Swine' myownself. Trying to be funny with that... Sorry.
I guess what I'm trying to determine is whether the majority of knowledgeable folks here think that the panvax itself is a greater threat than the actual virus (and having a full-blown pandemic)?
There's no choice there. We've already GOT a full blown PANDEMIC..,

The evidence on the issues is that the adjuvants are most likely safe, but haven't been tested in a Canadian audience. So many people doubt this, and are going to wait or elect to not get vaccinated.
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #39
Eden

Well wonders never cease... My son is getting the panvax and had some very sound reasoning of his own as to why he changed his mind.

Auburn Boy: I agree with you on all counts. It's still the "most likely" safe part of your statement that has me a bit leary. I came down with a bad sinus infection a few days ago and had to go on antibiotics for that. As soon as I get feeling well again and thru this medication, I will then be getting the shot. Leary or not.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #40
dessismama
Member Level 1

YES if I can get my hands on it. I am in contact with 100 college students a week and have kids in 4 different schools/daycare. I do not want to bring the flu home.
dessismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #41
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

We have decided to get the shot, just can't see how we would live with ourselves if the kids got it and got really sick. Besides it's pretty safe imho.
MicheleMaBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:35 PM   #42
ontariomom
Member Level 2

I am still on the fence to tell you the truth....and I am NOT leaning either way lol.

I think I am going to wait about a week....but either way I need to make a decision soon or else it may be too late!
ontariomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #43
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

OM......I hear ya, I'd like to wait a few days, weeks even but I'm too afraid that it'll be too late if I do. Odds are very slim that you'll get anything other than a mild case but having said that as we know we have kids like Evan that out of nowhere get so sick. I did hear on the news that he did not have asthma was very healthy before getting the flu.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #44
ontariomom
Member Level 2

That is so wild how one person says one thing and one says another because I heard that he did have a mild case of asthma....guess we can only assume he was healthy as his parents say.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #45
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,714 Times in 1,050 Posts
Quote:
My son, age 28, will not go anywhere near a vax clinic. He thinks it's all hyped BS. My daughter is "waiting to see what Mom will do." ..Mom is vacillating again and growing tired of thinking about it. None of us have any underlying medical conditions other than I am one of those pathetic smokers who's always quitting, then always falling off the wagon.
If someone has the ability to avoid illness and avoids it can take care of themselves if they get sick.

Adults should at t least read the legitimate research and then make their decision.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #46
Sysiphus
Senior Level 5

We finally got the flumist one for our son. We are not getting it however.
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #47
Eden

Potemkin - Oh my kids are more than capable of making their own decisions, they are very strong willed and strong minded...and I raised them that way :-) My daughter was just having some of the same concerns about the vax as I was. There is so much misinformation out there, that it's not even funny. Anyway, if you missed my post above, my son has changed his mind (on his own - I did not "push' him one way or the other). And my daughter is getting the vax asap. Just have to say though, had either of them decided not to get their shots and then became sick and needed help as a result, I would rush to their aid so fast that heads would spin...adults or not. :-)
Old 10-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #48
ontariomom
Member Level 2

So a question for my Canadian friends, and others who have an opinion, have you decided to get this fluvax after thinking that you wouldn't?

I am so torn about this, losing sleep, the works. I just DON'T know what to do.

I am not high risk, my hubby has high BP (not sure if that is high risk?), my son is four, my SS is 9 and in school.

If it weren't for SS we could practice social distancing and probably come out okay.

I toyed with the idea of how they are saying that if you have a child who is under 6 months, you should protect them from the flu by getting everyone in your household vaccinated. Would that work the same for a four year old?

There is a HUGE part of me that does not want to get the vaccine, period.

There is another part of me that is so scared of this flu, or making the wrong decision.

I think I might think differently if I could get my hands on the vaccines being used in the US - people seem more comfortable with those.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:12 AM   #49
rb.
Hey, USA, you're not the boss of me!

I had decided not to get us the vaccine, and I have not changed my mind. I don't know if we've been battling it, or something else, this last week, but it's highly likely that we'll all have been in contact with it before we could even get the vaccine.

Auto immune disorders run in my family, and I don't want to take any chances of flipping any switches when this flu, at this point, has little risk of long term problems. H5N1 might change my mind, but not this one, at this point. Besides, I like the longer term immunity by actually getting the virus vs. short term from a shot. Just like with Chickenpox.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #50
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

Uh oh......here I go again.....having 2nd thoughts about the vaccine.......what is the most compelling reason to NOT get the vaccine......we have never had a flu shot.....I just don't know! I hate that we have the adjuvant in it here in Canada, don't want to put that into my kids.

Tags
h1n1, shot