Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Entrance > Administration > Site Announcements

Site Announcements Changes to the site will be posted here

Old 10-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
flourbug
fumbling around in the dark

Thanked 3,000 Times in 1,735 Posts
Default ThisBlueMarble on Twitter

https://twitter.com/thisbluemarble

I'm not sure how this works yet, so bear with me.

BirdGuano, I am following your Twitter, but need your email to invite you to join ours.
Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined. ~ Patrick Henry

Price history
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
preppiechick
Senior Level 1

Tres cool! (except now I have one more thing to check and occupy my non-existent time!)
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands now deserves the love and thanks of men and woman. Tyranny like hell is not easily conquered yet we have this consolation with us, the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value."

-Thomas Paine
preppiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
flourbug

I can put an RSS feed here.
Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined. ~ Patrick Henry

Price history
Old 10-27-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
preppiechick
Senior Level 1

Favorite apps (used on another twitter account):

"add this" on firefox(great for twitter, email, etc. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4076

twitbin (this is my favorite) http://www.twitbin.com/

new one, that I haven't used yet: http://www.rememberthemilk.com/

For those new to social media(and believe me, I'm a novice and I just don't have that much time, or a fancy cell phone!):

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...itter_apps.php
http://blog.twitter.com/
http://twitdom.com/
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123638550095558381.html
http://twitturly.com/
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands now deserves the love and thanks of men and woman. Tyranny like hell is not easily conquered yet we have this consolation with us, the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value."

-Thomas Paine
Old 10-27-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
flourbug

Oooh, lots of links there. I'm overwhelmed. lol

But I just installed your fav - twitbin... cool app!

Price history
Old 10-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
preppiechick
Senior Level 1

I forgot- I like this too:

http://www.tweetdeck.com/beta/

You will soon find tons of spam...especially with auto follow-
http://www.pcworld.com/article/16478...e_rule s.html

http://www.twitblock.org/
(article about twitblock http://www.twitterrati.com/2009/09/1...-twitter-spam/)

This is a fun feature, if you don't have time to stay on twitter all the time:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4705515_repl...-rss-feed.html

-Thomas Paine
Old 10-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
flourbug

YOU are a novice?

Price history
Old 10-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
preppiechick
Senior Level 1

Yeah, compared to twit world!! I'm just a "google" freak!

-Thomas Paine
Old 10-27-2009, 11:20 AM   #9
flourbug

I hear ya. Some days I think I missed my calling and should have been an online researcher.

Price history
Old 10-27-2009, 11:25 AM   #10
preppiechick
Senior Level 1

Same here! (Somedays I think you're a "brother from another mother" - totally jealous of the prior ad agency job!! http://thisbluemarble.com/showthread.php?t=3282)

-Thomas Paine
Old 10-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #11
flourbug

Really? What line of work are you in?

Price history
Old 10-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #12
preppiechick
Senior Level 1

real estate (and, no, I didn't contribute to this mess...I actually want to help people, and have a family, so I didn't do a lot!) which means that I'm pretty much unemployed, now- working as a real estate office worker, now, pt.

Also, my favorite feature of using twitter, with twitbin, is that news organizations, and commentators (like beck) have twitter, so it's easy to get news blurbs (whick imho is by far the superior use of twitter...quick news updates). When you start searching and adding people to follow, you either find new ones to add or someone will follow you, and often they lead you to another place to follow! (gtg- late again, itrw)!!!

-Thomas Paine
Old 10-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #13
flourbug

Thanks for the info. Looks like I have a lot more researching to do.

Price history
Old 10-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #14
A.T. Hagan
Just some fella on the Internet

Great! More twits!

.....Alan.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #15
Exodia
Swag Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. Hagan View Post
Great! More twits!

.....Alan.
Hey, speak for yourself!
Old 10-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #16
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Twitter widget for the Opera browser:

http://widgets.opera.com/widget/7206/
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:17 PM   #17
preppiechick
Senior Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. Hagan View Post
Great! More twits!

.....Alan.
Obviously started by someone too young to have ever called anyone a twit!!

Actually, he is young, and another hometown boy (see mad men thread) and university of missouri alum.

Fb-

Did you decide if you were going to add a rss feed to the front page? It would be great for people who don't twitter, and if you you only have time to pop in to tbm, without getting sidetracked by twitter!!!

-Thomas Paine

Last edited by preppiechick; 10-27-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #18
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

So I am assuming that '#thisbluemarble' is the appropriate tag, right?
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:24 PM   #19
flourbug

preppiechick, since every time I take the initiative to install something like the rss feed I am met with a shrill "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND THAT COULD blahblahblah... " I'll consult with our tech guy this evening as to the safety and compatibility of the program.

Looks fine to me, but Some People get Hyper about this stuff.

He should be home in about an hour or so.

Price history
Old 10-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #20
flourbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
So I am assuming that '#thisbluemarble' is the appropriate tag, right?
I dunno how that works.

Price history
Old 10-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #21
preppiechick
Senior Level 1

fb-

If they put idiot instructions on the net (for the likes of me) it can't be that difficult!

http://www.ehow.com/how_4831935_add-twitter-feed.html

-Thomas Paine
Old 10-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #22
preppiechick
Senior Level 1

I don't usually use them, but here's how they work:

http://twitter.pbworks.com/Hashtags

-Thomas Paine
Old 10-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #23
flourbug

pc, that's an RSS feed. That, I can do... it's the #thisbluemarble that I don't understand. What is it, how does it work, etc?

oops, never mind, should have refreshed the page! Thanks!

Price history
Old 10-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #24
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

fb:

I think RSS Twitter feeds can be set up to search for hashtags. If that was done, adding a '#thisbluemarble' tag to any tweet a member posts would cause the tweet to appear in the RSS feed window. Members adding that hashtag to their tweets would also allow people to search Twitter for TBM-related tweets.

================================================== =============

pc:

Can tweetbin be set up to add a hashtag to generated tweets? If so, adding the '#thisbluemarble' hashtag would be helpful.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:39 PM   #25
preppiechick
Senior Level 1

O6-

Can't find a way to do that and it doesn't even have hashtag searches, yet.
http://www.getsatisfaction.com/twitb...hes_in_twitbin

tweetdeck does a drop down feature that makes it easier, so even though I have to keep a full window open, instead of the convenient sidebar, I may just have to switch over, since there are a lot more features than when I first started to use it!

http://www.contentmatters.info/conte...-features.html
Quote:
...TweetDeck also now has hashtag support - when you compose a tweet, a drop-down displays links to insert any of the last 10 hashtags you've used. This is great when tweeting a conference or event. It also automatically inserts the hashtag when you reply to a tweet containing a hashtag. While this won't provide full message threads, it's a step in that direction...

-Thomas Paine

Tags
thisbluemarble, twitter