Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Flu Discussion

Flu Discussion This subroom is intended for "soft discussion" of flu-related topics. This includes general chat, joke threads, scenarios, discussions of personal feelings, etc.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
Eden

Default Swine Flu - all good advice?

I received this by email. Apparently it's a "Dr. Oz" recommendation. I know that points 1 and 2 are legit, was just wondering about the rest. Comments?

The only portals of entry are the nostrils and mouth/throat. In a global epidemic of this nature, it's almost impossible to avoid coming into contact with H1N1 in spite of all precautions. Contact with H1N1 is not so much of a problem as proliferation is.

While you are still healthy and not showing any symptoms of H1N1 infection, in order to prevent proliferation, aggravation of symptoms and development of secondary infections, some very simple steps, not fully highlighted in most official communications, can be practiced (instead of focusing on how to stock N95 or Tamiflu):

1. Frequent hand-washing (well highlighted in all official communications).

2. "Hands-off-the-face" approach. Resist all temptations to touch any part of face (unless you want to eat or bathe.)

3. *Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (use Listerine or Hydrogen Peroxide if you don't trust salt). *H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/ nasal cavity to proliferate and show characteristic symptoms. Simple gargling prevents proliferation. In a way, gargling with salt water has the same effect on a healthy individual that Tamiflu has on an infected one. Don't underestimate this simple, inexpensive and powerful preventative method.

4. Similar to 3 above, *clean your nostrils at least once every day with warm salt water, or hydrogen peroxide. *Not everybody may be good at Jala Neti or Sutra Neti (very good Yoga asanas to clean nasal cavities), but *blowing the nose softly once a day and swabbing both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt water is very effective in bringing down viral population.*

5. *Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C (Amla and other citrus fruits). *If you have to supplement with Vitamin C tablets, make sure that it also has Zinc to boost absorption.

6. *Drink as much of warm liquids (tea, coffee, etc) as you can. *Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they cannot survive, proliferate or do any harm.
Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
ontariomom
Member Level 2

I have gotten this email twice today! Wondering the same things, especially about the salt water rinses and the cleaning of the nasal passages.
ontariomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 3,418 Times in 1,922 Posts
They're benign measures at any rate & certainly can't hurt.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Key
Member Level 4

Quote:

The only portals of entry are the nostrils and mouth/throat. .
His very first statement is incorrect. The eyes are also a portal of entry.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:57 PM   #5
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

I got this in an e-mail today as well.
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
rb.
Hey, USA, you're not the boss of me!

Interesting, and I would think all would be helpful. Flushing the virus from entry points (except the eyes...good catch, Key) may help in reducing the number of little viral thingies. Isn't that the principle behind how elderberry works? Doesn't kill 'em, just keeps them from reproducing so fast, allowing the immune system to build an immunity on less infection?

Think about it, many of us already do some or all of this when we begin to get sick (ie. hot tea with lemon and honey for a sore throat), but you just don't look at it as a preventative.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:04 AM   #7
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

I also got this email today, amazing what a small world we live in now with emails going around!
MicheleMaBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:12 AM   #8
Key
Member Level 4

Small world? Or because it's really spam?
Key is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, flu, good, swine