Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Flu Discussion

Flu Discussion This subroom is intended for "soft discussion" of flu-related topics. This includes general chat, joke threads, scenarios, discussions of personal feelings, etc.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 3,385 Times in 1,905 Posts
Red face The Second Wave - both of them

Well it's here... the Second Wave & when I say 'both of them', I'm not kidding. We have the wave of illness itself as well as the wave of press & public reaction & coverage... loads of it.

Feeling overwhelmed yet?

Here's a little bit of completely unsolicited advice from Auntie Sue...

DON'T TRY & KEEP UP.

Seriously, don't even THINK of trying to keep up with all the press coverage at this point. I popped down to the convenience store this afternoon to grab a soda, (yeah the expensive way to do it but I didn't have time to walk a mile through pouring rain to the grocery store!), & while waiting in the line to pay, glanced at the news rack. Seems there's only one story in Canada today - pH1N1. Pick your poison... outbreaks here, there & everywhere. Schools reporting high absence rates. First person stories of "My survival experience with flu". A few sad stories about the two dead kids these last few days. Long line ups at vax clinics. Editorials scolding us for being socially irresponsible if we don't get a vax.

Now I came home at the end of my work day & refreshed the 4 online news sites I've got tabbed - almost all flu, mirroring the paper versions I saw at the store. I sighed.. a long night orf reading ahead. Then I smartened up. The headlines pretty much said it all & as this wave expands, there will be more of the same.

Frankly, for most of us right now, what's important about flu news is what affects us PERSONALLY. If you're planning on a vaccine, you need to know location & hours of clinics, estimated waiting times & any other aspect that may bhe important. You need to know the status of your childrens' schools - are they open? Lots of flu? Services & stores you use, usual activities... aree they open, operating as usual?

Other than that, no need to frantically try to keep up... right now. I can tell you what headlines will consist of for the next several weeks: growing case numbers, more severe cases in hospital & sadly, more deaths. School closures & activities being shut down. Progress of flu vax clinics including the inevitable cockups that will happen - they always do.

What is important to track are CHANGES. Are cases presenting with increasingly severe symptoms including some of the more spectaculatr symptoms we saw in 1918? Is the death RATE increasing? Are the affected cohorts changing? Secondaries - VERY important & we WILL be seeing more of those crop up. Strep, staph, other bacteria & I expect at any time, meningitis & encephalitis cases to start being reported. It is these things that anyone who's yet to experience flu needs to really watch for.

And a reminder, if I may. Anyone on Rx meds right now who MAY be running a tad low - you might want to call in for a renewal or try to get in to see your practitioner if you have to for the class under which your med or meds fall under. This wave will only get worse & don't forget, seasonal flu won't disappear & we're rapidly approaching the time when that makes inroads. And unpleasant as it is, norovirus will soon begin ropping up. I expect less of it this year though - we're all maniacally washing our hands & that usually cuts transmission of gastric viruses big time.

It's important to do what a local doctor said in our paper today. Take sensible precautions but don't bring your normal lives to a screeching halt if there's no assessed need to do so in your family & circumstances. Work, play, laugh & LIVE. We've only got the one guaranteed life that we're living now & by times, it can be miserable enough. In spite of economic downturns, pandemic & life's other issues that ALWAYS crop up, there;s room for enjoyment too & no need to feel guilty about sharing a laugh with family & friends.

A healthy balance is our sanest prep.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:42 AM   #2
ukmum

I came to the same conclusion, I am NOT worrying about what is happening worldwide ONLY what is happening on my doorstep and things that I can control.
ukmum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,915 Times in 1,145 Posts
Get it, get over it, don't worry anymore.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
flourbug
fumbling around in the dark

Thanked 3,593 Times in 2,000 Posts
I wish... you CAN get the flu twice. I even have my doubts about immunity for those born before 1957. That's a LONG time ago.
“When the situation was manageable it was neglected, and now that it is thoroughly out of hand we apply too late the remedies which then might have effected a cure. There is nothing new in the story. It is as old as the sibylline books. It falls into that long, dismal catalogue of the fruitlessness of experience and the confirmed unteachability of mankind. Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong–these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history.”
— Winston Churchill, House of Commons, 2 May 1935.

Price history
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
rb.
Hey, USA, you're not the boss of me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post
That's a LONG time ago.

We should find out soon, but I haven't heard of people getting sick in the local nursing homes. And they're usually full of whatever is going through the schools, shortly after the kids are sick.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:11 AM   #6
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

I'm with you Sue....

The stress felt trying to keep up to whats going on is harmful to your health.

Today, I'm baking Halloween cookies and muffins etc for what I anticipate to be a busy weekend. I'm going to cook up a few meals and pop them into the fridge, for a busy weekend or........ in case we all get sick.
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

I feel that all of us here are prepared, others that we see that didn't educate themselves on pandemics are in a state of panic right now. This isn't new to us, we knew it was coming so we are more or less calmly taking care of business and taking steps to avoid H1N1.

Yes we still have our moments of panic but not as much as we would have otherwise had we been not informed thanks to great places like This Blue Marble and great people like Canada Sue and all the other amazing helpful friends here.

So many parents right now who didn't prepare or educate themselves and would have laughed at us months ago are rushing to emerg and in a full state of panic! I understand their panic, this is hitting them all at once, this will cause so much confusion and worry for all parents & people in general, especially the parents/people that didn't prepare.

This will be a hard lesson for them to learn, preparing does not mean panic, panic means that you are not prepared!

MMB
MicheleMaBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 1,260 Times in 696 Posts
I've been busy caring for my family (the well and unwell) so I haven't been able to read as much as I have been. At some point, there just won't be time to take it all in, I hit that this week.

One thing that struck me though, is that the daily total compiled over at PFI was 70 deaths reported yesterday. We had a 50 death day a couple of days ago. The deaths seem to be shooting upward--is this a change, or the result of widespread infection?

Also, as I mentioned on the personal thread, my son was diagnosed with a secondary strep infection, so I have first hand experience that this is happening.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Quote:
would have laughed at us months ago
Oh, they did..... didn't they.... Those are the same ones calling me every night for advice. I had a woman I havent spoken to in 2 years call me 2 nights ago asking my advice. HUH!

And for you lurkers, I was more then happy to help her out. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

As prepared as I am...I am still running around doing last minute things, making sure the laundry is kept up daily, meals are in the fridge and freezer, that I have an abundance of our daily comforts ready.

Heck....I'm almost finished Christmas shopping.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #10
flourbug
fumbling around in the dark

Thanked 3,593 Times in 2,000 Posts
Quote:
As prepared as I am...I am still running around doing last minute things, making sure the laundry is kept up daily, meals are in the fridge and freezer, that I have an abundance of our daily comforts ready.
Same here. We learn that the hard way, don't we?

The flu hits hard and fast. When you realize you have it, or someone in your care has it, there will be NO TIME to "get ready". Get ready now and stay ready: clean house, dishes and laundry done as soon as possible, meals and drinks prepared or very easy to prepare, OTC meds at the bedside, bills all paid up to date, alternate arrangements for pets, and you have a LOT less to deal with when you're sidelined for a week or so.
“When the situation was manageable it was neglected, and now that it is thoroughly out of hand we apply too late the remedies which then might have effected a cure. There is nothing new in the story. It is as old as the sibylline books. It falls into that long, dismal catalogue of the fruitlessness of experience and the confirmed unteachability of mankind. Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong–these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history.”
— Winston Churchill, House of Commons, 2 May 1935.

Price history
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #11
Key
Member Level 4

I have also put together several "flu kits" of flu remedies, easy to eat foods, etc. that I can grab and drop off to unprepared family members that may end up with the flu.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:32 PM   #12
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Quote:
The flu hits hard and fast. When you realize you have it, or someone in your care has it, there will be NO TIME to "get ready".

I could go drop sick right now for a couple of weeks and my family would have everything they need and then some.

My name is Amberglass and I have OCD. j/k...a little bit.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #13
Samen
unregistered

On NewsNow now http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Hot+Topic...mics/Swine+Flu

NEW in the last 5 minutes
Six swine flu deaths in India raise toll to 463 New Kerala 17:41
CDC estimates U.S. has had up to 6 million swine flu cases USA Today - Money 17:41
Swine flu loosens its grip on metro Atlanta schools Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Georgia - Print Edition 17:40
Swine flu infection rate continues to rise Irish Examiner - Breaking News 17:40
CDC says swine flu may have infected 5.7 million Americans The Honolulu Advertiser, Hawaii - Business 17:39

In the last 10 minutes
Swine flu crisis hits Spanish squad Real Betis FOXSports - Soccer 17:35
Eight Italian players hit by swine flu FourFourTwo.com 17:33
Study: Cholesterol drugs may improve flu survival Naples Daily News, Florida 17:33
Pork Flu: H1N1 Offers Harrowing Preview of ObamaCare Big Hollywood 17:33
Governor Paterson Declares Swine Flu "State Of Emergency" Gothamist (Weblog) 17:32

England's swine flu cases rise 10% Healthcare Republic 17:32
Swine flu infection rate increases The Irish Times 17:32

In the last 15 minutes
Swine flu infection rate in Ireland continues to rise The New Ross Standard - Frontpage News 17:29
Are Swine Flu Fears Overblown? Business Week - Daily Briefing 17:29
Gov declares emergency over swine flu New York Post 17:28

In the last half-hour
U.S. to get 30 million doses of swine flu vaccine MSNBC 17:25
Seventh swine flu death in Wales BBC News Wales 17:23
Islanders' Weight had swine flu New York Post 17:22
Girl, 3, becomes eighth in Palm Beach County to die of swine flu Sun Sentinel, Florida - News 17:21
10) Six Oklahomans died from swine flu last week, health officials say Tulsa World, Oklahoma 17:20

CDC: Up To 5.7M H1N1 Cases In Few Months WPXI, Pennsylvania - Health 17:15
UMC Employees Receive Swine Flu Vaccinations TheJacksonChannel.com, Mississippi - News 17:13
CDC: Up to 6 Million Swine Flu Cases in Few Months ABCNews.com - Health 17:13

In the last hour
US says China to end ban on pork imports Monsters and Critics 17:09
Swine flu claims another life in Turkey Today's Zaman - National 17:09
Italians considering swine flu vaccinations for Vancouver USA Today - Sports 17:08
Chehalis woman dies from swine flu complications kgw.com, Oregon - Health 17:05
Vaccines trickle in as swine flu hits schools The Addison County Independent, Vermont 17:05

GPs 'coping well with swine flu' Irish Sun - Ireland 17:04
Paterson declares swine flu emergency Crain's New York Business 17:01
Health Update: Swine Flu Hits Two Bridges Jail Lincoln County News, Maine - News 17:01
High risk groups should receive flu jab by mid-December 24dash.com 17:01
AstraZeneca profits leap thanks to swine flu vaccine Manchester Evening News - Business 16:59

Turkish woman dies from swine flu in Diyarbakir Irish Sun - Europe 16:58
Turkey reports second swine flu fatality SILive, New York - International 16:55
Swine flu cases in England up by 56 percent SILive, New York - International 16:55
'Swine flu' rates climb again in city Nottingham Evening Post, Nottinghamshire - Health 16:52
Swine flu vaccine inequity at school Saint Louis Post Dispatch - Education 16:52

Scouts deliver swine flu jab letters for practice Healthcare Republic 16:51
State officials urge patience on swine flu vaccine Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Pennsylvania 16:47
Another swine flu death in Wales confirmed Wales Online - Health 16:46
Swine flu vaccination programme begins in Cumbria The Whitehaven News, Cumbria - News 16:45
New wave of swine flu hits Scotland Telegraph.co.uk - Health 16:42

In the last 2 hours
BREAKING NEWS: Girl, 3, is 8th swine flu victim in Palm Beach County Click for... Palm Beach Post, Florida 16:40
Two recent H1N1 deaths raise county's total to 30 San Diego Union-Tribune, California - Metro 16:40
China warns of 'grim' swine flu battle, 4th death reported Yahoo! US - China 16:39
National News: Rise in number of swine flu cases Loughborough Echo - News 16:38
Governor declares swine flu emergency in NY Newsday.com, New York - Columnists 16:38

China Lifts U.S. Pork Ban Manufacturing.net 16:36
H1N1: Are we ready? Canada.com - Ottawa 16:31
Paris Saint-Germain & Sochaux Move To Reject Swine Flu Rumours Yahoo! Sports 16:30
Portugal right-back Nelson hit with Swine flu PortuGoal.net 16:30
New date for Marseille-PSG game Yahoo! Eurosport - Sport 16:28

Real Betis says several players have swine flu CNN/Sports Illustrated - Soccer 16:27
Swine flu outbreak on Desperate Housewives set Heat - TV 16:27
Flu helps AstraZeneca lift outlook Yahoo! 16:26
Swine flu Vaccination Canadian Broadcasting Corporation - Nova Scotia 16:26
NY Gov. Paterson declares state of emergency over swine flu Post-Standard, New York - Central New York News 16:26

Connecticut Hospitals Impose Tougher Visitor Restrictions Amid Swine Flu Concerns Hartford Courant, Connecticut - Travel 16:25
Swine flu blog: Another urban myth killed off The Whitehaven News, Cumbria - News 16:25
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #14
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Google FluTrends has pointed to a move of the "WAVE" north to canada..,

Interesting how people's internet browsing trends track the disease.

Does this mean that the U.S. (Southern parts anyway..,) are getting a break in the epidemic? That is hard to tell. Could it be that people are browsing less now that the "Second Wave" is really here?

Like Sue said, "don't even try to keep up."

Maybe that's whats going on in the google flutrends. Maybe folks in our south ae not on the internet but dealing with the "real life" aspects of a pandemic??

http://www.google.org/flutrends/intl/en_us/
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #15
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Glad you are using NewsNow Samen!

That is one of the most excellent news feeds I know of. It's the first place I stop every time I browse.
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:31 PM   #16
ltow
lurker level 3.14

marthon

Tags
wave