Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Flu Discussion

Flu Discussion This subroom is intended for "soft discussion" of flu-related topics. This includes general chat, joke threads, scenarios, discussions of personal feelings, etc.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

Default We will all get the vax by Christmas!

Tonight we had an update from the head of the public health and all people from Ontario Dr. Arlene King and were told that they have a shortage of vax but we will all be able to get it by Christmas!

So ridiculous, at the moment we have seniors & pregnant women, Moms with children standing in line ups outside in the rain for six hours. What on earth will we do by Christmas, it's freezing cold by then with lots of snow, do we go line up for the vax and then go to emerg to get our frost bite treated?

I don't have much confidence in this whole vax chaos at the moment!

For one thing I have a daughter who is a couple months older than what is considered high risk for children but I thought that it's ok no problem I'll keep her away from a few activities and other groups of children and get her vax on Monday. That won't happen now as they are short on vax and it only goes to higher risk people.

Now we are told that for sure by friggen Christmas we'll get it! I'm not kidding she actually said that by Christmas we'll get it. I'll do the very best that I can to keep all of us H1N1 free till we get the vax but it's gonna be a long road and pretty much impossible to do that!

I know that it's easy to sit by the sidelines and critique the system but I have a simple idea or two to ease the madness of it all, first off they should have all the vax they need, someone screwed up somewhere big time by having a shortfall of 500,000 vax this week and who knows how much next week.

Also the vax should have been given to the Drs to give to patients, the Dr's will have to suck it up, hire a couple of temp staff or whatever to accomodate the patients needs during a pandemic. They've had months to plan for this as well. Let the patient make the appt and go in and get the vax at the Dr's office. Patients who don't have a Dr go to the walk in clinic as usual for their vax.

Also patients that ask for a script for tamiflu should be given it rather than be in an emergency situation with a very ill child and have to take the ill child to emerg and clog up emerg while waiting for hours on end. Parents are not stupid we know how to get the info to pretty much say we know almost for sure the child has the flu, then give the tami to the child at that time. If the Dr's office is open go there to confirm it first.

Also have a few clinics open for the general public wanting to have that option to get the vax and that would mean a much easier time and easier way to handle that volume of vax.

The whole thing is one big mess right now here in Ontario and all over the Country as well!
MicheleMaBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Most of us will probably had the flu by then.

I have been shopping like a crazy woman so I don't have to be near the mall any time close to Christmas....

I figure I'll put the tree up by the end of Nov. wrap all the presents and pile them under...then relax till New Years....or just in case I get this damn flu.... I'll be ready.

Can you imagine not being ready for Christmas and getting this thing first or second week of December and it hanging on for a few weeks? *shudders*

Mommy....why didnt Santa Claus come this year? I've been a good girl...
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:45 AM   #3
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Santa has the flu..,

You tell DD that.
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:29 AM   #4
ontariomom
Member Level 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
Most of us will probably had the flu by then.

I have been shopping like a crazy woman so I don't have to be near the mall any time close to Christmas....

I figure I'll put the tree up by the end of Nov. wrap all the presents and pile them under...then relax till New Years....or just in case I get this damn flu.... I'll be ready.

Can you imagine not being ready for Christmas and getting this thing first or second week of December and it hanging on for a few weeks? *shudders*

Mommy....why didnt Santa Claus come this year? I've been a good girl...
Oh I know, I have started also. I am also planning on doing a lot of online shopping. I figure yah...Sears is expensive, but it saves me gas money and getting others germs so I don't mind.
ontariomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

Don't forget L.L.Bean I get the catalogue, the shipping is usually free around Christmas time and with the Cdn dollar so good it's worth it!
Old 11-03-2009, 07:19 AM   #6
ontariomom
Member Level 2

Oooh!!! I never even heard of this one!

Going to google right now! Thanks hun!
Old 11-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #7
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,506 Posts
LL Bean - oh man, you will think you've died & gone to heaven.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
flourbug
fumbling around in the dark

Thanked 2,914 Times in 1,705 Posts
LL Bean flannel lined jeans.

(with Ugg boots and an old XL men's cashmere sweater. my winter uniform. lol)
Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined. ~ Patrick Henry

Price history
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #9
ontariomom
Member Level 2

Wondering about the customs fee's and stuff though...
Old 11-03-2009, 08:28 AM   #10
rb.
Hey, USA, you're not the boss of me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleMaBell View Post

Also the vax should have been given to the Drs to give to patients, the Dr's will have to suck it up, hire a couple of temp staff or whatever to accomodate the patients needs during a pandemic. They've had months to plan for this as well. Let the patient make the appt and go in and get the vax at the Dr's office. Patients who don't have a Dr go to the walk in clinic as usual for their vax.
Problems with this, Michele. First, doctors are already overwhelmed with patients in this province, and it has nothing to do with flu. If you have everyone go in to the doc for the flu shot, when are patients with other issues going to get in? Starting after Christmas?

Second, the walkin clinics for orphan patients. We, a city of 70,000, just got a walkin clinic in the last 6 months. There are a lot of places up here that have NO walkin clinic, and are deathly short of doctors.

This is what the public health unit is for, this is public health. If your public health unit has fallen down on the job, send them this article, and tell them to plan better.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1343117/

Because we have been in dire shape for doctors for sooooo many years, our health unit made sure they took advantage of all resources, so we get appointments. And it's not just like this for H1N1, this system was ALREADY in place for seasonal flu shots.

Individual doctors should NOT have to each figure out how to work the shots into their schedules, that is a terrible redundancy and a waste of time and resources.

Passing something to see what's in it is usually called a stool sample.-Internet comment
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #11
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

I spoke to public health this afternoon and the woman told me that they have no idea when they are getting vaccine in for Joe public... tomorrow? next week? they don't know.They have not been told anything.
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #12
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
LL Bean - oh man, you will think you've died & gone to heaven.
The year that DD was a baby I did almost all of shopping there, had everything delivered to the door of the family member the gift was for if they were far away. Gotta love the free shipping! Gotta the sales they have as well! Bought my emergency radio there and a few wind up flash lights.
Haven't tried the flannel backed jeans, sounds comfy! I rcvd the cat this morning in the mail time to start shopping. Not much for my kids, they are young are only want toys! I bought my son boots there and they were good, fit him well. Tobogans, we bought three one year from there plus a couple for gifts.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #13
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb. View Post
Problems with this, Michele. First, doctors are already overwhelmed with patients in this province, and it has nothing to do with flu. If you have everyone go in to the doc for the flu shot, when are patients with other issues going to get in? Starting after Christmas?

Second, the walkin clinics for orphan patients. We, a city of 70,000, just got a walkin clinic in the last 6 months. There are a lot of places up here that have NO walkin clinic, and are deathly short of doctors.

This is what the public health unit is for, this is public health. If your public health unit has fallen down on the job, send them this article, and tell them to plan better.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1343117/

Because we have been in dire shape for doctors for sooooo many years, our health unit made sure they took advantage of all resources, so we get appointments. And it's not just like this for H1N1, this system was ALREADY in place for seasonal flu shots.

Individual doctors should NOT have to each figure out how to work the shots into their schedules, that is a terrible redundancy and a waste of time and resources.

Yes I'm sure I don't know all of the negatives about that idea, I was just frustrated with the whole thing period! Dr.s are helping out with the situation though and I'm sure doing the best that they can, it's a very difficult job for them at the best of times. You are right public health should be running everything well and maybe time will improve the situation!
Old 11-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #14
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
I spoke to public health this afternoon and the woman told me that they have no idea when they are getting vaccine in for Joe public... tomorrow? next week? they don't know.They have not been told anything.
DD is getting her vax Thursday through the Dr's office, which is a relief, we have no idea when the rest of us will get it either!
Old 11-03-2009, 08:54 PM   #15
MicheleMaBell
Member Level 3

DH's good idea yesterday when driving by the hrs long line up, he said we should sneak in and when the nurse is about to give a shot we just stick our arm in front of the persons arm say whoops and get it that way!

Tags
christmas, vax