Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Preparedness

Preparedness Join us to discuss all aspects of preparedness.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,683 Times in 1,036 Posts
Default FlyLady's 11 Points to Preparedness for Evacuation

http://www.flylady.net/pages/FLYingLessons_Prepared.asp

FlyLady's 11 Points to Preparedness for Evacuation

"We can FLY in the face of Danger and Emergency if we are prepared. Don't wait till you are being asked to evacuate. Everyone thinks that it could not happen to them. Well it could and it is up to you to make sure you are prepared. Don't wait! DO IT NOW!!" -- FlyLady

1. PEOPLE: Have a plan for getting out of the house and make sure everyone knows it. Have an emergency bag of food and water for your family. Include wholesome snacks and treats for the children: dried fruit, nuts, peanut butter, crackers and granola bars.

2. PETS: Keep pet carriers and leashes readily available to lead pets to safety. Also take pet food with you.

3. PICTURES: Keep negatives or CDs of pictures in a lock box or at a family member's home. Have picture albums in one place ready to grab and go at a moments notice.

4. PAPERS: Have all your important papers in a lock box at a bank and only keep copies at the house. This keeps you from panicking. If you have them at home then put them in a folder that you can easily grab if you have to move fast. Color code it so you can find it!

5. PRESCRIPTIONS: Take your medications with you. Don't forget the ones that have to be refrigerated like insulin. Have small ice chest and cold packs readily accessible to pack and go. If you have babies; remember their formula or medications.

6. PURSES and PETROL: This is where you keep your identification, credit cards and cash. Keep a stash of cash for emergencies and grab it. You may not be able to use an ATM in the event of a power outage. Make sure your car always has a half a tank of gas.

7. PROPER CLOTHES and COMFORT ITEMS: According to the weather conditions; gather up a change of clothes along with outer clothing: coats, rain gear, boots, gloves and hats. If you have babies remember diapers. Remember to grab your children's favorite blanket, stuffed animal or toy. A game or a deck of cards could keep them occupied and calm too.

8. PLANNER/CALENDAR/CONTROL JOURNAL: These documents have all the information you will need from phone numbers, insurance numbers and important dates. They are small and filled with things you don't have to try to remember.

9. PERSONAL PROTECTION: Many of us still have that time of the month. Be sure and grab a box of your preferred protection. It may be hard to find if you have been evacuated. Stress can cause our bodies to do strange things too. So be prepared. Take medication for cramps too.

10. PHONES and RADIOS: Many of us have cell phones now. Always keep them charged up and have a charger in the car or an extra battery. They may not work in the event of power outages, but then they might. Know which local radio station has emergency bulletins. Keep your battery powered radio tuned to that local station and have plenty of batteries for it.

11. PATIENCE: This is one of the most important things to pack. Keep it inside of you so that you have a clear calm head. Having your P's to Preparedness list guiding you will keep you patient. In the event of an evacuation there will be lots of displaced people. Being patient will make things less stressful. Your children need to see you calm and collected. This will help keep them calm too.

My husband and I had to pack for potential evacuation this past year (luckily we never actually had to evacuate). Although I had a list of my "important stuff" and knew where everything was, we were unprepared for how long it actually took to gather our belongings and load it into our car. It took a couple of hours!!

Please, walk through FlyLady's 11 Points to Preparedness for Evacuation. Touch each item you would want to bring. Are your important papers, photos, prescriptions, in one place? Do you have an emergency bag for your family members? Like a fire drill, practice an evacuation drill. You never know how much time you will really have.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
D. Gale
Make a Wish

Man, I love Flylady.
D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
A.T. Hagan
Just some fella on the Internet

9. PERSONAL PROTECTION: Many of us still have that time of the month. Be sure and grab a box of your preferred protection. It may be hard to find if you have been evacuated. Stress can cause our bodies to do strange things too. So be prepared. Take medication for cramps too.

Gosh, I've never needed personal protection on a monthly basis. In fact there have only been a few times in my entire life that I really needed it. But she's right. Stress, particularly extreme stress, can do strange things to one's body. This is why I recommend double action revolvers, or at least keeping your finger OFF the trigger until you know FOR SURE you need to shoot.

Never had cramps afterwards, but hammerbite sucks so make sure your rubber grips you properly.

.....Alan.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
BirdGuano
H1N1 Crash Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Gale View Post
Man, I love Flylady.
What !

NO Windex ?!

LOL

Yes this is an inside joke for those of us who follow Flylady.

Quote:
"It is better to have lived one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep." -- Tibetan proverb
News and commentary updates on Twitter @guanosphere
BirdGuano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:22 AM   #5
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 2,584 Times in 1,525 Posts
Geez - I hadn't thought of Flylady in a few months. Thanx for the reminder. She must have hints that would be helpful for the sort of cleaning I'm trying to do here. Flylady for 2 building complexes? LOL

Actually, she's big on clean/shiny kitchen sinks. Me it's my building front lobbies in the morning & laundry rooms at night.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
D. Gale
Make a Wish

Sue, just transfer the object. Flylady's great for getting your brain in order first -- then you can apply the procedures to whatever YOUR project is.

Clean sink, clean lobby. Doesn't matter -- it's setting up an ordered series of tasks that can be followed repeatedly.

Take a look at her "detailed cleaning lists" -- those are much more, well, detailed! They will do much more for your planning than the surface stuff like her sink mantra.
D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,683 Times in 1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Gale View Post
Sue, just transfer the object. Flylady's great for getting your brain in order first -- then you can apply the procedures to whatever YOUR project is.

Clean sink, clean lobby. Doesn't matter -- it's setting up an ordered series of tasks that can be followed repeatedly.
After reading her site I have to agree. She tries to break old habits people have to get them to declutter.

One is "get dressed to the shoes". http://www.flylady.net/pages/FLYingLessons_Shoes.asp

Her reasoning:

Quote:
Why shoes? Especially lace-up shoes?

Since starting this group, I have continually harped on putting your shoes on your feet each morning. I want you to do this and you are not the exception to the rule. Here is why. Several years ago I worked for a direct sales cosmetics company. One main rule for that company was that you could not make a single phone call in the morning unless you were totally dressed, and I mean really dressed! All the way to dress shoes. The reason behind this duty was that you act different when you have clothes and shoes on. You are more professional. The customer can tell when you don't feel good about the way you look. Even when you think you do. So if getting dressed makes that big of an impression on someone that can't even see you, then what is going to happen to those that can see you. Mainly yourself. Putting shoes on your feet that lace up are better than slip-ons or sandals, because they are harder to take off. Instead of kicking your shoes off for a quick snooze on the couch, you actually have to go to a bit more trouble. Maybe in that short instant you will realize that there is something more that you can do. With shoes on those feet of yours, your mind says "OK", it's time to go to work. You have no excuse for not taking the trash out or putting that box of give-away stuff into the car. You are literally ready for anything. Believe me, when you get that call from school that your child needs you, or that dear friend calls up and says that she needs to talk "can we have lunch?" you are ready! Including shoes.

Makes sense to me.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:29 PM   #8
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I realized when first reading FlyLady that the shoe thing made sense. I wear shoes from the time I get up to going to bed. Horrors! The same ones inside & out which means I wash floors a lot more than I'd like to., But I CAN literally race out the door & do anything when I have to.

Shoes are part of it because of the nature of my job. At the foot of my bed - sweat pants & a turtleneck to quickly slip on. Blackberry & keys within arm's reach on the bedside table & a slip on fleece sweater - pocket 'preloaded' with notepad & pen.

FlyLady's site is great for those with serious clutter programs. I love the fact that she keeps cleaning/organizing tasks SHORT & manageable. It's hard to be overwhelmed & if that easily happens, doing just one item a day from her list of possibilities, still gets something done.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
Cactus Az
Member Level 5

The shoe thing is where I fell off the Fly Lady wagon. I never wear shoes in the house. If I go to visit friends or family, my shoes come off at their door. In my youth I went barefoot much of the time.
But, her 15 minute thing has stuck. It really does get me going.It is amazing how much you can get done in 15 minutes.
Cactus Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
flourbug
fumbling around in the dark

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,704 Posts
Her site is good for those with PROBLEMS. Those who need direction, or motivation, or little tricks to get things done.

I can work in my nightgown with my toes snuggled into the dog. If I clear the dishes out of the sink and make the counters sparkle before I go to bed, you would not lose a bet if you said that sink would be just as full when I wake up in the morning. I am disorganized, dealing with each crisis as it comes at me and putting things I should be doing on the back burner until I can get to them. I probably break every "rule" in her book.

Even so, I dare anyone to take on my workload and accomplish half as much.

It's all about "Just DO it".
Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined. ~ Patrick Henry

Price history
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #11
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Yup - she offers a system for those who need help. Reading through her site, I found there were things I did anyway & other things that wouldn't work for me. Whatever works - works.

I had trouble with the shoe thing until I started my last super's job. Then I found, being 24/7/365... I might as well leave them on all the time, save for in the shower or bed! I was always getting called out & when something is urgent - you save time not having to put on shoes., Sure, I could use slip ons but if I have to go out that fast, slip ons probably wouldn't be the best/safest choice.

Tags
evacuation, flylady, points, preparedness