Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Crafts > Fiber and Needle Arts

Fiber and Needle Arts Show off and discuss your quilting, spinning, knitting, sewing, and all fiber and needle arts here.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
booger
Scrappy Vahjeen

Default Newspaper yarn

How cool is that! One of these days when I don't have a million things to do, I'll try it just to say I did.

(Swiped from Miranda at ModernRoots)

Handspun Recycled Newspaper Yarn

Quote:
Recently a commenter asked what they could do with all the old newspapers they had piling up. With enough time, patience, and newspapers you can create newspaper yarn. From the design studios of Greetje van Tiem and her “Indruk” project she can purportedly spins 20yds of “yarn” from a sheet of old newspaper.

Similar to our post on Plarn, newspaper yarn can be woven into varying degrees of complexity to construct anything from curtains, to rugs, netting throws, or even upholstery. Its strength may be slightly less that of yarn but when spun tightly and woven into something like a mat the newspaper yarn is a durable and functional structure.

This great craft can create useable additions around the home and is a upcycle for your Sunday Post.

Of course the question is “how to spin newspaper yarn?” Well the supplies are few, the skills basic, and the end possibilities immense.

More text and pics at the link.

SpeedKin & SlowMoFood
booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
wetDirt
Yet Another Member

Newspaper consists of extremely short fibers in a cellulose matrix. This yarn will disintegrate if it gets wet. It will not stand up to heavy wear. The resulting yarn likely has no stretch or resiliency. Unresiliant yarns are unpleasant to knit and weave with. While interesting as a stunt or a an artistic statement, this looks like far more work than the eventual product merits. Dryer lint and cotton balls have also been spun, with equally disappointing results. Durability and washability, as well as 'hand' and beauty, are real and valid considerations when devoting a massive amount of time and energy into a product. Seriously, for all that time and effort, was a lasting thing of beauty actually produced?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
booger
Scrappy Vahjeen

Of course, it wouldn't be very durable but I can think of several decorative (no wear & tear) things to do with it that would be fun to try. Once.

SpeedKin & SlowMoFood
booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

I think its neat too... not for anything you would wear of course but it could be kinda neat LOL
Old 01-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,905 Times in 1,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetDirt View Post
Newspaper consists of extremely short fibers in a cellulose matrix. This yarn will disintegrate if it gets wet. It will not stand up to heavy wear. The resulting yarn likely has no stretch or resiliency. Unresiliant yarns are unpleasant to knit and weave with. While interesting as a stunt or a an artistic statement, this looks like far more work than the eventual product merits. Dryer lint and cotton balls have also been spun, with equally disappointing results. Durability and washability, as well as 'hand' and beauty, are real and valid considerations when devoting a massive amount of time and energy into a product. Seriously, for all that time and effort, was a lasting thing of beauty actually produced?
I heard a report yesterday that someone in South America was weaving potato chip bags into products.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:34 AM   #6
spinnerholic
Senior Level 3

SOME spinners, when it comes to anything that possibly could be spun, are total nut cases. Pill bottle cotton. Milkweed fibers. Human hair. Cat fur. Dog fur.

The ratio to work and product quality is way, way over the cliff. No matter what was done with the yarn, nothing long lasting could be made of it.

My schedule is full.
spinnerholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newspaper, yarn