Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Politics

Politics Step up and make your case on all manner of political topics.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
caonacl
the truth is precious

Talking The Best of Sarah Palin

The Best of Sarah Palin
Wednesday Oct 1, 2008

Palinmania sees no sign of abetting. The Alaska governor pegged second to John McCain on the Republican ticket has gone in just a few weeks from Saint Sarah to Caribou Barbie. She wowed the public in Saint Paul a month ago, then went into candidate-protection program only to emerge in a series of underwhelming interviews.

Her sometimes incomprehensible answers from Katie Couric have led to much criticism, even from right wing pundits. David Brooks in the New York Times wrote: "She has not been engaged in national issues, does not have a repertoire of historic patterns and, like President Bush, she seems to compensate for her lack of experience with brashness and excessive decisiveness." No other than George Will said that she is "obviously not qualified to be President," and her Couric interviews were a "disaster."

And conservative columnist Kathleen Parker in the National Review Online wrote: "As we’ve seen and heard more from John McCain’s running mate, it is increasingly clear that Palin is a problem. Quick study or not, she doesn’t know enough about economics and foreign policy to make Americans comfortable with a President Palin should conditions warrant her promotion."

Even with the financial crisis, she’s become a lightning rod of controversy and a headline grabber. And with a manner that suggests Eva Peron meets Fargo, she has become a butt of comics and satirists everywhere. On YouTube alone there are more than 41,000 videos featuring Palin. With the help of contributor Jim Duncan, we at EDGE offer the Best of Sarah Palin available on the web.

Watch them and laugh... or just weep as we wait for the Vice Presidential debate, which is being projected to have an audience of close to 100 million viewers. (We know we’ll be glued to a television!)

Queen of the Alaska Frontier
Looking for a quick bio of Sarah Palin? Mason Storm wrote, sang and directed this video, to the tune of the theme from "Davy Crockett" that tells her story in song.

click here to see the music video.

Two Heads Better Than One
From the website www.236.com comes this clever retake of the Charlie Gibson interview featuring Joe and Noah take who control of Charlie Gibson’s body to give Sarah Palin the interview we’ve all been waiting to see. Not since Ray Milland and Rosie Grier shared the same body has a two-headed body been this funny.

click here to view the clip.

Don’t Cry For Me, Alaska!
If Sarah Palin hadn’t been found, Hollywood would have invented her. But the real story is funny enough to produce this parody of her life story as seen in the movies. This trailer is hilarious.

Go Sarah! Go Hillary!
For Tina Fey, Sarah Polin has been a godsend, and she has run with it with two very funny skits on Saturday Night Live. Not only is the physical resemblance striking (from Day One, they’ve been separated at birth), but she gets that shrill voice and her mannerisms down pat. For the first video Amy Poehler plays a poised, if bitter Hillary Clinton.

"Get Back To Ya!"
Pundits, comics and satirists have had a field day with Katie Couric’s interview with Sarah Palin. It led to a new Saturday Night Live skit that featured Tina Fey reprising Palin and Amy Poehler playing a continually befuddled Katie Couric. One of its funniest moments has the VP nominee giving a near incomprehensible response that’s all but lifted from the actual transcript, all but leaving Palin hoisted on her own petard.

The Best of Sarah Palin
(Continued from Page 1)
Gershon Does Palin!
Move over Tina Fey! Ex-"Showgirls" diva and rocker Gina Gershon made this hilarious parody that was seen on the website funnyordie.com. In it Gershon plays Palin with such irresistible cheekiness that you certainly want to see more. Perhaps in a Lifetime movie? For now, we’ll settle for this...

Sarah With a Mullet
Before she was governor and VP nominee, Sarah Palin had a stint as a television anchor. It was back in 1988, when Palin (judging from her hair) could have found her way onto a "Dynasty" episode. Who knows, if she had stayed in television, she could have been interviewing the Vice Presidential candidate this week. Interestingly, word is that the Republican National Committee went to some lengths to remove this humorous piece of television history from YouTube. Fortunately, others have saved it.

Matt Damon Rips Palin
Everyone on the Republican side thinks that anti-Palin fervor is part of the great liberal media conspiracy. Whatever. We are still waiting for Bo Derek or Chuck Norris to make videos criticizing Joe Biden; in the meanwhile, we have Matt Damon giving his comments on Palin. Let’s just say he’s not a big fan.

Boys Will Be Palin
It was inevitable that there would be a number of drag parodies of Palin. In the first comic Kevin Nalts offers his take on Palin in a variety of distressing hairstyles. In the second America’s answer to Dame Enda - Ester Goldberg - admonishes critics of Sarah Palin. We love Ester!

click here to view the Nalts’ clip.

click here to view the Ester Goldberg clip.

Ain’t Nothin’ Like The Real Thing
No interview has gotten the attention lately as much as Katie Couric’s two part interview with Sarah Palin. It appears to be the gift that keeps on giving -- just watch any late night comic! On the plus side, it is giving Couric the career boost she has needed; on the down side, well, there’s Palin’s answers, some of which appear to have been written by parodist.

Here are both clips:

click here to watch the first part of the Couric interview.

click here to watch the second part of the Couric interview.

Sarah Goes A-Hunting!
And, lastly, Sarah Palin’s hunting skills has led to the creation of any number of parodies, including a number that feature Palin killing Bullwinkle. Here are three:

click here to watch the Bullwinkle assassination clip.

click here to watch the Adventures of Bullwinkle and Sarah.

click here to watch Sarah Palin Goes Hunting.

Head of State
From the site www.collegehumor.com comes this funny and slickly made video that presents a trailer for an imaginary Hollywood comedy called "Head of Skate." Palin as the hockey mom-turned-President? No so far fetched... who would have thought that the "Kindergarten Cop" would become Governor of California? Next to Palin, though, Arnold looks like Al Gore.To see the video, go to www.collegehumor.com/video:1831461

http://www.edgeboston.com/index.php?...&id=81204&pg=1

Last edited by caonacl; 10-01-2008 at 10:24 PM.
caonacl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
caonacl
the truth is precious

Don't Cry for me Alaska is damn funny.

this one too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss6-yHc8gpA

Last edited by caonacl; 10-01-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
caonacl
the truth is precious

Old 10-05-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
caonacl
the truth is precious

Sarah Palin: The Making of the Candidate
By Kim Murphy and Robin Abcarian, Los Angeles Times Staff Writers
August 31, 2008 ociated Press
A HUNTING TROPHY: In this undated photo, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and one of her daughters pose with a caribou she shot. A woman in an exceedingly macho state, Palin hasnot always been taken seriously. But opponents cross her at their peril.

<=== I want to know how she got the crab.

Gov. Sarah Palin responds to a question in her downtown Anchorage office next to a grizzly her father shot in Denali Highway country. - photo by STEPHEN NOWERS / Anchorage Daily News

Last edited by caonacl; 10-05-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
caonacl
the truth is precious

Alaska is a dangerous place. Wild animals, and pesky critters
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crab Attack.jpg (110.7 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by caonacl; 10-05-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
caonacl
the truth is precious

Palin: BOB is Soft on Meese

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q429GuvI0jM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MooseHunter.JPG (19.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-05-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
caonacl
the truth is precious

It's long, but you should wait for the Q&A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3-B7...eature=related
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MS Blues.JPG (32.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #8
caonacl
the truth is precious

Default What does Palin know about this?

Watch for falling ... moose?

Animal falls estimated 150 feet off cliff, lands in front of state trooper’s car

The deceased moose lies at the bottom of the cliff. The animal didn't die in vain — the meat was salvaged for charity.

Alaska State Troopers

Video: Strange news

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Alaska state troopers see plenty of hazards, but Trooper Howard Peterson was nearly felled by a new one: falling moose.

Peterson was driving Feb. 2 on the Seward Highway south of Anchorage when something big and black fell out of the sky about 20 feet in front of his patrol car. "Falling rock!" he thought, ready to steer clear if it bounced onto the highway.

The thing didn't roll or shatter. It turned out to be a moose that had fallen from cliffs next to the highway.

Drivers often see Dall sheep on the cliffs but rarely moose. Peterson estimates the animal fell 150 feet or more.
It was windy that night, Peterson said, and a gust may have startled the moose into a fatal fall.
Video

Friendly moose worries town
Feb. 12: Residents in Rochester, Vt., fear a moose's friendly behavior may be a sign of "brain worm." WPTZ's Jackie Bender reports.
NBC News Channel

"They occasionally have bad days like the rest of us," said wildlife biologist Rick Sinnott. "They slip and fall. Maybe he was reaching for a branch and the snow just gave way."

Sinnott has heard of moose dying in strange ways — breaking through ice and drowning, jumping off railroad bridges at the sound of a train, falling off small banks. Once he saw the remains of two bulls that died during a rutting battle when their antlers got hooked together by a single piece of barbed wire.

A fall off a cliff probably doesn't happen often, he said.

Peterson treated the dead animal the same way he handles moose killed by cars. After snapping photos, Peterson called one of the charities that salvage road kill.
© 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23135666/?GT1=10856
Old 10-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
caonacl
the truth is precious

Sarah Palin on wolves (WARNING: GRAPHIC)

The Defenders of Wildlife released a potent video describing "needless and brutal" attacks on wolves. Palin's policies include hunting wolves via airplane and offering bounties for severed legs of dead animals. From the Defenders of Wildlife site:

Over the past five years, Alaska's aerial hunting program has claimed the lives of nearly 800 hundred wolves. Despite strong scientific, ethical and public opposition to aerial hunting, Governor Sarah Palin has…
  • Proposed paying a $150 bounty for the left foreleg of each dead wolf.
  • Approved a $400,000 state-funded propaganda campaign to promote aerial hunting.
  • Introduced legislation to make it even easier to use aircraft to hunt wolves and bears.
http://www.examiner.com/x-535-Northw...ARNING-GRAPHIC
Old 10-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #10
lilly
Senior Level 5

http://www.andrewsullivan.theatlanti...-at-mat-s.html Don't know this blog. A reputable magazine. I assume the Atlantic Monthly, which I don't read.

He evidently Checked the births at Mat-su Medical Center to try and ascertain Trig Palins birth at the hospital. on the day given by Palin as his birth on April. 18 at 6:30. Andrew Sullivan can not find any reference to Trig Palins birth. His post shows Bristol Palin holding Trig, while Levi Johnson kisses the baby's forhead. He asked if anyone has any information please contact him. the photo he illustrates, allows people make their own inferences. A bit sad. The baby is never going to run for the highest office in the U.S. Sarah Palin is ,and now with her getting down and dirty she has opened the door.

I was wondering when they would start checking deeper. the link doesn't work It was posted on Google 21 minutes ago. I think Palins increasingly virulant attacks on Obama are going to make reporters dig even deeper into her background. Her time as a Mayor etc. I think people are going to dig up more and more that is negative.

Another writer calls her a cancer on the Republican party. This is in the Huffington Post Blog. Top of the page. "David Brooks call Palan A fatal cancer on the Republican Party." He spoke with Jeffrey Goldberg of the Atlantic. Same magazine as above. I guess the Atlantic Monthly doesn't think highly of Palin.

Last edited by lilly; 10-09-2008 at 02:21 PM.
lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #11
lilly
Senior Level 5

I thought I copied it accuratly, and kept fiddling with it. I found it googling around, you never know what turns up on google, and I'm not even sure how it turned up, but it caught my interest. I think he will keep digging.

Evidently Mr Sullivan does not like Sarah Palin.

I think the Atlantic Monthly is a reputable magazine, as I recall reading it in the past.

As the reporter Jeffrey Goldberg of the Atlantic interviewed David Brooks at La Circque in NYC I assume it is a New York publication. Probably one of those elite writers who lfavor Obama.

Sarah Palin really gets to people, either favorably and they love her little winks and gotcha's and get back ta yah, or she grates on their nerves and they find her lacking in depth and opportunistic , with bizarre religious beliefs.

I went back to the orginial article, and Sullivan, an English citizens ,justifications for demanding paternity tests on Trig Palen. He seems to feel that Palins using it to back up her pro life stance, and using it at the convention for a political symbol is sufficient. He also states that Palin lies compulsively. People are outraged, but he seems to have a point

The possible reason for claiming Trig as her son? One person suggested her health insurance would cover Trig until he is 25. Not so if he was Bristols child. Evidently Sarah Palen didn't look pregnant until she was seven months, when she announced she was pregnant. Photos prior to the seven months have been deleted.

It must be said that it seems that most peoples opinions expressed about Sullivans search, feel his obsession about this is beyond the pale and are repelled.

Last edited by lilly; 10-09-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:39 PM   #12
caonacl
the truth is precious

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly View Post
I thought I copied it accuratly, and kept fiddling with it. I found it googling around, you never know what turns up on google, and I'm not even sure how it turned up, but it caught my interest. I think he will keep digging.

Evidently Mr Sullivan does not like Sarah Palin.

I think the Atlantic Monthly is a reputable magazine, as I recall reading it in the past.

As the reporter Jeffrey Goldberg of the Atlantic interviewed David Brooks at La Circque in NYC I assume it is a New York publication. Probably one of those elite writers who lfavor Obama.

Sarah Palin really gets to people, either favorably and they love her little winks and gotcha's and get back ta yah, or she grates on their nerves and they find her lacking.
Sarah Palin's Birth

There have been numerous flags raised, largely valid, about the birth itself. Supposedly, early in the morning on Thursday April 17th, (around 4 a.m. in Texas which would have been around 1 a.m. in Alaska) Palin who was at a conference in Texas, called her doctor in Wasilla / Palmer from Texas, to report that she was leaking amniotic fluid and having contractions that were different from contractions she'd been having for "months." (Contractions no one among her office staff noticed, by the way.) In a later article, she tried to minimize this saying that she was not "really" in labor at this point. Here's another article in which Governor Palin makes the argument that, although leaking amniotic fluid and having contractions, she was not "engaged" in labor and thus OK to fly back to Alaska.....

http://www.palindeception.com/subpages/subpage4.html
Old 10-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #13
lilly
Senior Level 5

I have begun to follow this issue. Mr Sullivan says that he is "merely following Sarah Palin's own standards. In her first race for mayor of Wasilla, she demanded the marriage license of her opponent be made public. Why? Because his wife kept her maiden name. and Palin deemed that sufficiently unusual to demand total transparency.' He follows this by saying that "Is being the mayor of Wasilla more significant than possibly being US president."

As far as Sarah is concerned, she can demand anything in the way of proof of anyone in her way, but her own privacy is sacred.

Mr Sullivan is the editor of the Atlantic.His blog is the Daily Dish. the article Oct 8 2008 at 04:59 entitled Births At Mat-Su Medical Center in April 2008.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:30 PM   #14
caonacl
the truth is precious

Sarah's Greatest Hits!

10.01.08 -- 9:40PM
By Josh Marshall
As you get ready for tomorrow night's epochal Palin-Biden debate, don't miss our Sarah-Mania Greatest Hits reel -- all Palin's best interview moments, all bundled into a quick five minutes ...

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/221299.php
Old 10-09-2008, 10:04 PM   #15
caonacl
the truth is precious

Newsweek found itself at the center of a controversy on Wednesday, after choosing to run a photo of vice presidential hopeful Sarah Palin on its latest cover, that appears not to have been retouched.
After the cover went public, Fox News’ Megyn Kelly, host of “America’s Newsroom,” was one of the first to draw light to the photograph, which shows the 44-year-old Alaskan governor up close, allowing readers to see a reportedly unedited version of Palin.

“This cover is a clear slap in the face at Sarah Palin,” Andrea Tantaros, a Republican political and media commentator said on the show. “Why? Because it’s unretouched. It highlights every imperfection that every human being has. We’re talking unwanted facial hair, pores, wrinkles.”

Tantaros said the cover image of Palin was in stark contrast to previous covers that featured Democratic Presidential hopeful Barack Obama.
“This is a gross slap in the face to Sarah Palin after Newsweek has done so many favorable covers of Barack Obama that make him look presidential, that are clearly retouched,” she said. “He looks flawless. This is a slap in the face and the biggest reason is because the cover [headline] says ‘She’s one of the folks,’ and in parenthesis says ‘and that’s the problem.’”

As for Newsweek, a rep for the magazine said the zoom in on Palin, was to accentuate her smile.

“Nigel Parry’s portrait of Governor Palin was shot and cropped so we could see clearly into her eye and be engaged by (have access to) her smile,” Newsweek Director of Covers, Bruce Ramsay, said in a statement to Access Hollywood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Knewsweek.jpg (99.1 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by caonacl; 10-09-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:25 PM   #16
lilly
Senior Level 5

I guess they expected them to make her nose smaller. Seems to me the pictures on Magazine covers of Obama show pores, his mole, (I vaguely think he might have one near his nose.)

I never read these peices on the candidates their wives, husbands or families.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #17
Fiddlerdave
Not Active

Quote:
“This cover is a clear slap in the face at Sarah Palin,” Andrea Tantaros, a Republican political and media commentator said on the show. “Why? Because it’s unretouched. It highlights every imperfection that every human being has. We’re talking unwanted facial hair, pores, wrinkles.”
These are "imperfections"? Not in my book, its called being human rather than a Barbe Doll.

Republicans wouldn't hesitate a moment to take an airbrush to the work of a world-renowned portrait photographer.

Of course, these are the people who characterize NPR for doing a show on a small town whose only industry was destroyed by textile imports leaving economic devastation, thus unduly focusing on the "unwanted hair, pores, wrinkles" of various government policies.
Fiddlerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:36 AM   #18
caonacl
the truth is precious

The Truth About Sarah
Palin
All facts about Sarah Palin are backed up by links to credible news sources
This page was created by Alaskans and has been online since 2007- with updates

http://www.grizzlybay.org/SarahPalinInfoPage.htm

Old 10-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #19
caonacl
the truth is precious

Sarah Palin: A pain of a woman

Published on 11/10/2008
By Tony M
The Lady who would be vice president — but will never be because Mr Barrack Obama is gonna win this one hands down, wapende wasipende — is called Sarah Palin. She’s a so-called ‘hockey mom’ and is part of a brave new world of ‘soccer moms’ and other models of aggressive new models of women in the world who want to identify with hardcore traditional ‘Men Only’ sports like football and hockey to make a point that they’re all that, and quarter past tougher than their male counterparts.

Well, I may admire some qualities about Palin (like the tough decision to go ahead and have a Down syndrome baby) but I do not like what she represents — both to man and country. Let’s begin with the fact that she’s happy being the bread winner of her rather large family, while her hubby Todd plays second fiddle, errand boy and care-giver and taker to the kids. Now, while I agree that these roles in households must be shared, only a half woose would let his woman do the bulk of the ‘bread and bacon’ hunting role, while just rolling along for the ride in the background. I far prefer the Clintons — if your wife is competitive, be even more so. She’s a senator, you are the president. My editor made me laugh the other day. She said that as her hubby picked her up, he mentioned that John Corgi, that red faced abomination of a writer, had a right to express his freedom of expression and oughtn’t have been deported. My editor then expressed the exact opposite — and may I add correct — opinion, and her and her hubby spent a happy half hour discoursing on the same before they could drive on off. Now, that’s what I call a smart and equal couple — and I amn’t surprised that their little girl who is soon to be six is one smart tsarinavich.

Palin, brought up in Alaska, shoots poor moose just for the sport of it, and thinks being called ‘Sara Barracuda’ is a marvellous thing. Me, I think it is just uncouth. Whatever happened to the America of charming southern belles with soft voices, coy manners and all those lovely other things that made a woman? Since when did the girls start to fight men’s battles. "Obama is a terrorist," Palin shrieks, as infirm, old power-hungry men like McCain — with his eye twitch and therictus grin of a delighted skull — cower behind her aprons; in the face of Obama.

Victor versus Victoria
Yet during the Joe Biden vs Sara Palin debates, it was plain to see that like a lot of self-proclaimed barracudas, people like Palin shrivel in the heat of real "Victor versus Victoria" battle. Already at the start, it was said that Biden had to ‘go easy’ on Palin lest he seem like an aggressive feller going ruthlessly after the lady. If she is truly a ‘hockey mom’, why, then should she skate as fast and take as much hockey stick as a man!
Then it was clear that for all her accomplishments, Palin was singularly ill-informed, and that did not bode well, pardon the puns, in her bid to take on Senator Biden. She’s like one of those corporate barracudas who talk tough and even wear ‘smart’ glasses to look the part but, when it comes down to hard facts, as it did in the debates, they are left cold in the water by cooler chaps.

Every time she did not know what she was talking about, Sara Palin brought up the ‘great McCain,’ nuancing the stereo-type that even tough women like to hide behind a man when cornered. And when she spoke about the pain of women with children, like one with a monopoly on tragedy, Joe Biden got off his sharpest shot. Near a tear, he said, "I too know the pain of losing loved ones, and caring for a hurt child."

When Biden was 33, you see, his wife and two daughters died in a car carnage, leaving him with a seriously injured infant son — who today, at 22, is fighting in Afghanistan. Now, that’s a man — and a hard boy.

http://www.eastandard.net/InsidePage...996707&cid=300
Attached Images
File Type: jpg That Girl.jpg (158.6 KB, 35 views)
Old 10-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #20
lilly
Senior Level 5

She was booed loud and long at the Hockey game in Philley. They had to increase music to very high levels to try and drown out the sound.

They should not have invited her. She even had Willow and the cute kid Piper there, who is a sweetie, and they still booed loud and long. Philley isn't her city.

She is a hit in Florida, keep her there.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #21
caonacl
the truth is precious

Voting for Vaginas: Sarah Palin

http://www.blinkx.com/video/voting-f...fm-q6gnb38vtqQ

Tags
palin, sarah