Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Kitchen > The Cook's Corner

The Cook's Corner This is where we post our Dinner Threads, and tips and tricks for making the most delicious meals.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #26
dreamseeer
Member Level 4

Tonight is brussel sprouts and smoked turkey.
dreamseeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #27
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

We had a frozen pizza tonight. Did a bit of grocery shopping and didn't feel like cooking so one of the pizza's didn't make it to the freezer. It was a flat bread one from DeGiorno.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #28
dreamseeer
Member Level 4

Tonight is minute steaks seasoned to the hilt with salt, pepper and garlic powder.

Little Ears (the full size ones).....smothered in butter.

Left over brussel sprouts and brownie bites for dessert.

Simple fare but satisfying and filling.

No waste.......no want.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #29
Feather

I browned Italian sausage and then added tomato sauce and served it over the bowtie pasta. It was pretty good. For desert I have grapes, bananas or strawberries, which ever he wants he can have.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:31 PM   #30
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

I got some of those little lamb chops at Costco. Four of them are marinading in lemon peel-infused olive oil, tons of garlic, fresh rosemary, soy sauce, a big pinch of Spike seasoning, salt, pepper, a healthy shot of Tabasco and a little liquid mesquite smoke. I intend to broil them, as I have not dragged the barbecue out of the garage yet. I will be eating those with garlic naan bread on the side. Not sure whether I will do a vegetable or a Caesar salad yet. Dark chocolate ice cream bonbons for dessert.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #31
ukmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
I got some of those little lamb chops at Costco. Four of them are marinading in lemon peel-infused olive oil, tons of garlic, fresh rosemary, soy sauce, a big pinch of Spike seasoning, salt, pepper, a healthy shot of Tabasco and a little liquid mesquite smoke. I intend to broil them, as I have not dragged the barbecue out of the garage yet. I will be eating those with garlic naan bread on the side. Not sure whether I will do a vegetable or a Caesar salad yet. Dark chocolate ice cream bonbons for dessert.

I'll be right over, sounds like a great meal...I vote on Caesar salad...I'll bring the wine!

Was out for dinner yesterday with some girlfriends so tonight I'll just have a light supper, still slightly hungover from too many long Island iced teas and plenty of gossip
ukmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #32
dreamseeer
Member Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmum View Post
I'll be right over, sounds like a great meal...I vote on Caesar salad...I'll bring the wine!

Was out for dinner yesterday with some girlfriends so tonight I'll just have a light supper, still slightly hungover from too many long Island iced teas and plenty of gossip

I second that!!

Right now I am perusing this thread to get some ideas for dinner.

I'm having mental-pause on what to fix for dinner. [[[[[[[[[sigh]]]]]]
Old 04-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #33
Cactus Az
Member Level 5

Elk Stroganoff,noodles, and frozen green beans.
Cactus Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #34
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 1,110 Times in 672 Posts
Its been a rather crazy week. Thursday we met my sister in Alma and had pizza, Friday we picked up the hog from the butcher so we had porkchops....YUM! Saturday we spent the day in Little Rock and ate at the Flying Fish. It was a madhouse. That district has become very Bohemian and quite the nightspot. The people watching in those places is pretty entertaining for us country folk. We had oysters on the half shell and catfish PoBoys. Tonight its Buffalo Drumsticks with Max's special sauce and Broccoli.

For Brunch today we had bacon, black russian kale and cheese sammiches on homemade whole wheat bread.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that

Last edited by blue gecko; 04-11-2010 at 08:48 PM.
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #35
Feather

I kind of cheated for dinner tonight. I took the left over pasta from yesterday (shocked there was any left). I layered it in a baking pan and put shredded mozerella cheese between the layers and on top. It turned out yummy. Now I have stuff to take for lunch the two days I work this week.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #36
lilly
Senior Level 5

This weeks big lunch buffet at West Point.

Salads. As I put some mingy pieces of cold chopped shrimp on my plate, the few women in back of me whined, "don't take too much shrimp." I said "Don't worry." I was almost last in line. I hate lines, sat drinking iced tea till it thinned out. Later in the buffet they replaced a tray of depleted ziti with one that had large sweeter more tender and better shrimp scampi in it with scallops. (glad I skimped on the tough small shrimp salad). So much for the people who bitched. They actually missed out on the more tender shrimp scampi. Rolled up chicken with cranberry stuffing, roast beef, ravioli. Then a dozen different deserts (I went late, no more plates, later they put out larger plates for the deserts) Cheesecakes, strawberry short cake, profiterols, cannoli, cookies with Coffees and teas. Ate well, but didn't overstuff.

After desert went for a second helping of Shrimp scampi and scallops. I noticed the men at my table did the same. I prefer shrimp to desert.

Now to scrimp for the rest of the week.

I am losing a pound a week for summer. But one really fine meal of week seems to sate my appetite.
lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #37
andy
Senior Level 2

I had chicken soup at work. Homemade noodles and cabbage with carrots, celery chicken,and something else I have not figured out. I asked the guy to tell me when he starts the noodle making!
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #38
dreamseeer
Member Level 4

You guys and ladies are eating very well!!

Tonight I am fixin fresh wild caught Alaskan salmon with lemon pepper, tarragon and salt. The lemon pepper of course has the pepper in it already. I also like to add a drizzle of fresh squeezed lemon juice.

For sides...........I like to fix fordhook lima bean.

Also on the side I fix fresh cooked rutabagers, mashed and add butter, a dash of salt and a couple of table spoons of sugar.

I like to fix this combo because it tantilizes all the taste buds on the tongue.........salt, sweet and sour. YUM

Dessert..........I won't need dessert.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #39
Feather

DH had left over pasta and I had a bowl of rice cereal. I just can't have cheese two days in a row.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #40
dreamseeer
Member Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather View Post
DH had left over pasta and I had a bowl of rice cereal. I just can't have cheese two days in a row.
Honey, I love rice cereal......nothing at all wrong with that for sure.

Eat it dry or with milk and some kind of berries........or made into krispies. YUM!
Old 04-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #41
dreamseeer
Member Level 4

Last night was black beans and yellow rice.

I was so tired when I got home last night the last thing I wanted to do was spend a lot of time in the kitchen churning out a gourmet meal..........so,

I popped two cans of black beans and doctored them up with some bay leaves, olive oil, garlic powder, salt and slices of green bell pepper.

Let that simmer while I cooked the yellow rice with butter.

Served together with Braggs vinegar on top along with chopped red onion.

Delicious.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #42
Feather

Dinner last night and lunch today is chicken tenders. I just need to figure out dinner tonight.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #43
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 1,110 Times in 672 Posts
A couple of nights ago I made spaghetti with homemade (all the way, no cheating by starting with a jar of storebought) sauce with whole wheat garlic bread and freshly grated romano cheese. Night before last we used the spaghetti sauce as the base for homemade pizza with lots of pepperoni and mozzarella cheese.

Last night we had an early supper with my dad at Catfish John's in Rogers, Ar. John is quite a charactor and the walls of his diner are full of autographed celebrity pics most of them old Country and Western musicians. He makes awesome catfish and some of the best hushpuppies EVER.

Tonight its fresh asparagus fritatta. The asparagus is the first of the season and we'll use up the leftover spaghetti noodles and top it with the left over sauce.

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #44
Cactus Az
Member Level 5

Red chili enchiladas, pintos, salad. Maybe rice.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:44 PM   #45
dreamseeer
Member Level 4

Tonight is sirloin burger with blue cheese melted on the top......a side of broccoli and some nasty boxed but organic mac & cheese.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:52 PM   #46
dreamseeer
Member Level 4

tonight was a cookout with the neighbors..........neighbor bought a new propane grill......a real fancy one so he tried it out.

Grilled chicken with Montreal Grill marinated in that and olive oil and then BBQ sauce to that..........yummy.

I made the potato salad from scratch and green beans for a side.

It was good food, good friends and good life.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:26 PM   #47
Feather

We had left overs last night and tonight I made home made pizza. Well, kind of home made. I used the pizza crust that comes in a tube, added my own sauce and then lots of cheese and three kinds of meat. DH usually will eat over half of a frozen pizza but he only ate 1/3 of this one.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #48
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Its cool, damp and cloudy today. Perfect weather for soup and fresh baked bread. I'm doing a vegetable barley soup with beef broth for the base instead of vegetable broth like the recipe calls for. A loaf of hearty while bread is mixing away in the bread machine now.

If we get hungry later for some dinner I'll do chili n cheese nachos.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #49
Cactus Az
Member Level 5

Last night ,it was DD`s turn to cook.

So, we had delivered pizza.......
Old 04-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #50
Feather

Tonight we are having pork cutlets, if they finish thawing out. I've set the package on the counter so they should be ready. I'm going to use panko bread crumbs this time. I just bought them and haven't tried them yet.

Last night I didn't feel very good, darn allergies, so DH had soup and I had pancakes with lots of peanutbutter.

Tags
april, dinners