Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Kitchen > The Cook's Corner

The Cook's Corner This is where we post our Dinner Threads, and tips and tricks for making the most delicious meals.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #101
dreamseeer
Member Level 4

Lunch was remarkable..........at least I thought so as I was eating it.

Thin sliced pastrami on sandwich thins along with mustard/mayo/red onion/romaine and some smokey cheddar cheese on the side.

Remember those little candies you ate as a kid called: Junior Mints?

Had a few of those for dessert.

Tonight will just be lefts overs of the short ribs.
dreamseeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #102
dreamseeer
Member Level 4

Tonight will be a veggie dinner:

Crook neck yellow squash with onions and simmer in butter and milk.

Fresh broccoli

Left over peas & carrots

A single full length corn on the cob.

Garlic bread

That should be enough

I think for a beverage I will make ginger tea:

grated fresh ginger (teaspoon full)
1/2 lemon squeezed
tablespoon of honey or more to your taste for sweetness
teaspoon of cinnamon
all simmered in a large coffee cup of boiled water.

btw..........I won't put any actual tea in this beverage so it won't keep me awake but you can simmer a single tea bag and add that if you like.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:37 PM   #103
Cactus Az
Member Level 5

A mushroom and barley soup. I found the recipe at Allrecipes.com. it`s still simmering. Smells good.
Cornbread to go with, as I made cinnamon rolls today instead of rolls or bread.
Just had a hankerin.
Cactus Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #104
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Last night I discovered that I forgot to take anything out of the freezer again. I looked in the fridge and saw I still had a tube of pizza crust, the thick chewy kind. I rolled it out and spread tomato sauce on it and sprinkled garlic over that. Since i didn't have any meat I topped it with over 8oz's of mozzerella cheese. It was so good I had two pieces and DH had the rest

A grocery store here has stawberries on sale for $.99 a pound so that's what I am having for dinner. DH can either eat that or have canned soup or cereal.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #105
dreamseeer
Member Level 4

Tonight will be Bison burgers with cheddar cheese melted on top.

I bought some fresh spinach so that will make a really nice salad.

I think that will be about enough.

I mean.........my salads are full meals all by themselves. LOL
Old 04-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #106
Feather

I had strawberries for lunch so I'm thinking pancakes for dinner. I put peanutbutter on them, that's it, plain peanutbutter. Yummy
Old 04-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #107
dreamseeer
Member Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather View Post
I had strawberries for lunch so I'm thinking pancakes for dinner. I put peanutbutter on them, that's it, plain peanutbutter. Yummy
Now that is an interesting idea.

Ever use pancakes like a tortilla and stuff them with meat or cheese or other stuff?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:58 PM   #108
Feather

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseeer View Post
Now that is an interesting idea.

Ever use pancakes like a tortilla and stuff them with meat or cheese or other stuff?
I haven't stuffed them but if I have sausage with them I get a small piece of each on the fork and dip it in maple syrup.

I didn't have the pancakes, DH made a face and asked if a local place was still open because he wanted a hot sausage sandwich. We needed to go get milk so I found some of the meat on sale and on clearance so I bought two packages and cooked one, froze the other, added left over tomato sauce and we had sandwiches.

Maybe I'll do pancakes for breakfast tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:57 PM   #109
dreamseeer
Member Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather View Post
I haven't stuffed them but if I have sausage with them I get a small piece of each on the fork and dip it in maple syrup.

I didn't have the pancakes, DH made a face and asked if a local place was still open because he wanted a hot sausage sandwich. We needed to go get milk so I found some of the meat on sale and on clearance so I bought two packages and cooked one, froze the other, added left over tomato sauce and we had sandwiches.

Maybe I'll do pancakes for breakfast tomorrow.
"Stuff" was a wrong choice of words......for clarity I meant roll something in them like you would a tortilla. Sorry if I caused any confusion.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #110
Feather

That's ok, I knew what you meant.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:07 PM   #111
Feather

Well, I cooked the rest of the sausage today and added it to sauce, cooked some pasta and mixed the whole mess together. That was about 5 hours ago and I'm getting a bit hungry so I think I'll take the last bun from yesterday, spread butter on it and sprinkle with garlic. Then fry it in a small skillet.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #112
dreamseeer
Member Level 4

Tonight was homemade chili con carne that I made a month or so ago and portion and then threw into the freezer.

Lazy me............didn't want to "boil the pot" tonight.

I did add some extra "Hatch, NM" hot green chilies.....yum, it was hot and good.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #113
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

I've got some Sweet Baby Rays babyback ribs in the oven now. I'm the only one who likes them so I'm stuck with the whole slab. There will be more than enough for dinner, lunch tomorrow and a snack on Monday. I munched on a 1/2 pound of carrots earlier so I'll skip the vegie for now.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #114
Feather

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvDemWings View Post
I've got some Sweet Baby Rays babyback ribs in the oven now. I'm the only one who likes them so I'm stuck with the whole slab.
Yummy! I haven't tried their ribs but love their sauce.

Not sure what to have today, DH ate the left overs I was planning on haveing tonight.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #115
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Feather the ribs are precooked and presauced. I pulled the package out frozen, placed the frozen hunk on a baking pan and 50 minutes later dinner was ready. I got a really good deal on them at $6.99 a package.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #116
Feather

I'll look for them the next time I go to Walmart. According to their website that's the only place near here that carries them.

I still haven't eaten yet but DH is up and I'm going to see what he wants. I know I need to go to the store and get milk, who know's maybe find dinner there too.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #117
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

How about a rotisserie chicken. One of my stores has an excellent marinade and the chickens are often on sale for $4.99 each. Plenty for dinner tonight and a chicken casserole tomorrow from the leftover bits.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #118
Feather

They were shutting down the deli when I got to the store but I managed to get the last of the chicken wings. They still had legs but I like the wings better. They didn't even have a whole chiken left.

I had a couple of the wings and I think DH had cereal. I'm going to wait about 15 - 20 minutes and see if I'm still hungry then and if I am I'll have another wing.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #119
dreamseeer
Member Level 4

Quote:
I've got some Sweet Baby Rays babyback ribs in the oven now. I'm the only one who likes them so I'm stuck with the whole slab. There will be more than enough for dinner, lunch tomorrow and a snack on Monday. I munched on a 1/2 pound of carrots earlier so I'll skip the vegie for now.
I'm going to look for those to try.........sounds delicious.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:44 PM   #120
Feather

I just noticed we are posting May's meals in the April thread. I'd start a new sticky if I knew how.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #121
dreamseeer
Member Level 4

Tonight was mixed squash..........two green mexican squash and two yellow crook neck squash.........very good.

more left over short ribs. Boy, I sure got my money's worth out of that packed which btw I got at a marked down price at Smith's in the manager's special area. (Smith's = Kroger's out my way).

I made a nice salad and put Honey Mustard dressing on it...........yum.

As a side not I made a trip to a new grocery store today called Ta Lin Market.........it caters to the oriental flare..........they have aisles called
"Tokyo", "Saigon", China", Bangkok, Japan, etc.

I found some of the most interesting items..........like "Rice Seasonings". multiple flavors............some contain seaweed, some contain Bonita (fish), or shrimp and a mulititude of unusual and different flavors to make rice taste different.

Got 4 different jars of that and got two bags of

fish flakes...........

one Bonita fish and the other Mackeral/Sardine flakes.

I spent an hour there and could have easily spent another two hours but of course ran out of money. LOL LOL

Can't wait to try out the Rice Seasonings tomorrow.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #122
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Those rice seasonings are very good but eat them while at home to gauge the effects. They may leave you very odorous.

If you get the chance look for S & B curry mix. That stuff is sooo good. Beware of the stuff marked Hot. I think the heat takes away from the flavor. If you pick it up let me know and I'll shoot you a message on how I prepare it. I do it differently than the package recommends.

Last edited by LvDemWings; 05-01-2010 at 11:13 PM.
LvDemWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:36 PM   #123
dreamseeer
Member Level 4

Quote:
Those rice seasonings are very good but eat them while at home to gauge the effects. They may leave you very odorous.

If you get the chance look for S & B curry mix. That stuff is sooo good. Beware of the stuff marked Hot. I think the heat takes away from the flavor. If you pick it up let me know and I'll shoot you a message on how I prepare it. I do it differently than the package recommends.
Will do!

Oh yeah.........I picked up one that says Kimchi rice seasonings. I haven't tried that one yet. LOL

Tags
april, dinners