Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Science Center > Environmental News

Environmental News Discuss weather, climate, and earth changes here.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #126
Sysiphus
Senior Level 5

The attached is a useful link on potential storm surges: Wunderground. SLOSH models produce a possible 38 1/2 feet. However, this is based on unique topography and orientation of the coastline. There is probably somewhere in the world that a combination of tides, storm surge and wave action could result in water being 50 feet above MSL along the coast, or perhaps even a bit higher than that. However, given the coastline, I don't think Tampa is that area. It would take somewhere like Bangledesh and a very wide swathe of winds pushing water into a narrowing gulf with a very gradual decrease in the normal water depth. The problem with Tampa is that, while it is a nice, large, shallow bay, the area in general is on a part of the FL Gulf Coast that juts out a bit into the Gulf. Appalachee Bay (S of Tallahassee) is more the type of topography that I could see leading to an exceptional surge.
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #127
Key
Member Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post
In 2004 (and I wish I could remember the name of the storm or the Cat expected) they were saying 25' surge over the Bay to Bridge from Clearwater to Tampa.

It was Hurricane Charley. Forecast to hit Tampa as Cat 3. Instead hit Punta Gorda (South of Tampa) as a small but powerful Cat 4.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #128
flourbug
fumbling around in the dark

Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,576 Posts

The University of Tampa is just about where the star is for the City of Tampa. While it doesn't look like a storm surge would be 40' high, it's high enough to do a lot of damage.
Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined. ~ Patrick Henry

Price history

flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #129
Twoolf
Searcher for Truth and a good Carpachio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key View Post
It was Hurricane Charley. Forecast to hit Tampa as Cat 3. Instead hit Punta Gorda (South of Tampa) as a small but powerful Cat 4.
And cut my power for 7 days even all the way up in Citrus County. He was a nasty one......
Twoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #130
flourbug
fumbling around in the dark

Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,576 Posts
Same here. We stayed in our RV and ran the generator. The humidity was so high it was like breathing soup.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #131
Twoolf
Searcher for Truth and a good Carpachio

I borrowed a generator, but it was not big enough to run the HVAC. I now have 3 small window units. I will NOT fight that kind of humidity trying to sleep again. It was so hot and wet even the computers gave up.
Twoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #132
DryHeat
Member Level 1

From the report I read about the Tampa oaks, I figured the surge was in the 25-30' range. Given that was from something like 1840 and "tops of trees only visible" wasn't really a measurement as such. However, I was born and raised in Tampa and paid a LOT of attention to the storm threat there while I was in high school in the '60's.
DryHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #133
caonacl
the truth is precious

Quote:
It is interesting to note that the last time we had a strong El Niño event, in 1998, El Niño collapsed dramatically in May, and a strong La Niña event developed by hurricane season. History appears to be repeating itself, and I predict the emergence of La Niña by July. Since La Niña events tend to bring lower amounts of wind shear to the tropical Atlantic, we can expect a much more active Atlantic hurricane season than usual in 2010. Since 2010 is similar to 1998 in the behavior of the El Niño/La Niña cycle, it is possible that this year's hurricane season could resemble the 1998 Atlantic hurricane season.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1502
caonacl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #134
caonacl
the truth is precious

Quote:
Originally Posted by caonacl View Post
http://www.accuweather.com/video/731...ven-louder.asp
Old 06-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #135
caonacl
the truth is precious

More than 3,200 miles away a tropical something may brew
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/eyeon...hing-may-brew/

Quote:
At 2 p.m., the National Hurricane Center in Miami announced the system of bad weather far to the southeast of us spent the afternoon getting “better organized” and now has a 50 percent chance of becoming a tropical storm in the next 48 hours - that’s an improvement over the 8 a.m. forecast that pinned its chances at 30 percent.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #136
caonacl
the truth is precious

Accuweather Video

Let's Get Ready to RUMBLE

Tags
hurricane, oil, season, slick