Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Science Center

Science Center Our science center is equipped to facilitate a variety of general scientific discussions, including physics, environment science, astronomy and technology research.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Lars
berserkergang

Default Meet the Kessler effect---the coming catastrophic collision of space junk

http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...chain-reaction

~Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Lars; 05-29-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

There is no reason this could not be done by design. Here is a scenario for you....

Kim Il Jung dies, triggering a violent internal power struggle in North Korea. The old hard-line generals have already tried to foment a war with South Korea with the Cheonan incident. They know they will be given control of the nation in the event of a war. So the generals decide to shell Seoul to start just such a war to put them in control of the government. America responds with its full military might, laying waste to large parts of NK military capabilities with a bombing campaign as well as Marine expeditionary forces and light infantry brigades deployed into South Korea to halt NK incursions into the South.

NK then unleashes its secret weapon. Several missiles are launched from areas deep NK near the Chinese border in an odd vertical trajectory. Antimissile cruisers cannot target them, as they are deployed to intercept only ICBMs headed for North America. The missile reach orbital altitude and release a swarm of small objects. These objects then detonate. They are like airborne claymore mines, firing a fan of tiny high-velocity tungsten cubes. Each is oriented in a different direction. Enough of the projectiles strike orbiting satellites to start the chain reaction. American military satellite communications and surveillance capabilities are completely destroyed. With no communications or targeting information, our airpower and precision weaponry looses all effectiveness. Our techno-centric forces are paralyzed. The North Koreans exploit the situation by immediately launching a massive counterattack on our now isolated and disorganized forces. Our battleplan goes to hell in a handbasket. Casualties are enormous, and our hugely outnumbered forces are routed. China, seeing our vulnerability, jumps at the opportunity and enters the battle once again on the side of North Korea, pouring in troops, material and ordnance. It becomes another Dunkirk as we desperately try to evacuate as many of our people as possible before they are overrun.

Meanwhile, there is total chaos across the world as communications cease, financial markets cannot operate, ATMs shut down, banks close and commercial and business operations grind to a halt. Panic, looting and riots break out. Law enforcement is overwhelmed. Martial law is declared. America ceases to function as a working civilization overnight.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
Twoolf
Searcher for Truth and a good Carpachio

Well thanks for that 06. I'll sleep much better tonight.

(wheres that damn whiskey.........)
Twoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Lars
berserkergang

Yes 06, your scenario is disturbing. But I think Iran will accomplish this sooner and better than NK.

~Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Lars; 05-30-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

I realize that Iran also has the capability to do this, and could do so in retaliation for an Israeli airstrike on their nuclear facilities. I chose North Korea for the scenario because they are more unstable and more paranoid right at this moment. Also, Iran invested considerable resources in putting up their own satellite, which would be lost if they launched such an attack.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catastrophic, collision, coming, effectthe, junk, kessler, meet, space