Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Science Center > Environmental News

Environmental News Discuss weather, climate, and earth changes here.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:51 AM   #1
jasonnjon

Default BP oil spill impact to the eco system (images)

i dont know that the hell is BP doing they ruined our coast line and the federal government is doing nothing.. the leak is still not fixed ... people should start protesting about this ..its soo sad to see our beaches all messed up and our birds and other animals too

BP oil spill Images

cheers
jasonnjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:57 AM   #2
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

kk:
Quote:
"i dont know that the hell is BP doing"
Drilling for oil in incredibly harsh and dangerous conditions. They do this because that is what we demand of them.
----------
Quote:
"they ruined our coast line...."
Did you stop driving your car, shut off your electricity and cancel your order for heating oil, then demand offshore drilling be stopped? Or did you scream in outrage when gasoline and heating oil prices spiked, and demand the oil companies 'do something to bring the price down'? So is the blame all on BP, or can another culprit be found in the nearest mirror?
----------
Quote:
".... and the federal government is doing nothing.. "
Really? Nothing? I agree they were slow to act in many ways, but it seems to me that there are hundred of ships, thousand of feet of oil booms, Coast Guard everywhere, thousands of cleanup workers and more, all from the government. They are also holding BP's feet to the fire to fix the problem and provide more resources from their end. So that is "nothing"?
-----------
Quote:
"the leak is still not fixed ... "
Yes, we noticed. Do you have a fix?
----------
Quote:
"people should start protesting about this ..i"
You think they are not doing so?
----------
Quote:
"ts soo sad to see our beaches all messed up and our birds and other animals too"
Yes, it obviously is. And until our technology advances to the point where their is a viable, scalable alternative to oil, there is a pretty good chance it will happen again.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
Old Hawk
Elderest

Yes to the above....

OH
Old 07-05-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,468 Times in 928 Posts
Everyone who drives a car or get electricity from plants using oil or natural gas are to blame.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
DReynolds
irishisasirishdoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potemkin View Post
Everyone who drives a car or get electricity from plants using oil or natural gas are to blame.
Almost no oil is used in the US to generate electricity. But oil accounts for 96% of all transportation fuels in the US. When you look at why the US uses a quarter of the world's oil, the reason is clear: it's our happy motoring, suburban sprawling, nascar loving lifestyle.
DReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

DR:
Quote:
"When you look at why the US uses a quarter of the world's oil, the reason is clear: it's our happy motoring, suburban sprawling, nascar loving lifestyle."
Rail, buses and mass transit systems can make a lot of sense in densely populated areas of Europe. There are a few urban areas, such as New York City where they make sense as well. But in the wide open spaces of America, and in sprawling, lower-density suburbs, they simply do not come remotely close to addressing transportation needs. Our reliance on automobiles did not evolve simply from laziness and the desire for travel freedom. It evolved from pure necessity and market forces.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco, images, impact, oil, spill, system