Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News

News This is the forum where we post hard news and current events. If it is outside the box then that is where it goes. If it is your opinion, please write in the Op/Ed forum.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow Canada sends out police and Navy ships to stop and board refugee ship from Sri Lanka

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10959395
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,786 Posts
I'm a little behind on this story - but suspect it will get ugly fast. When I last half caught a news broadcast, they had reached territorial waters, some have TB... groan.

I need to get up to speeed on this one.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
Sysiphus
Senior Level 5

Well, get ready. If these Tigers get asylum, it won't be the last of them, that's for sure. And, from the second they set foot in Canada, they will have one goal - to settle the score with the Sri Lankan government as soon as they can.
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

If the Tigers are allowed to settle there, I would make a point of avoiding Sri Lankan consulates and embassies. The Tigers favor very large car bombs to make their point.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Yeah, I'll be pulling the serious papers' articles later this evening & having a good read. Both the Globe & Mail & National Post appeared to have very good front page stories in today's editions.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
rb.
Hey, USA, you're not the boss of me!

If I'm not mistaken, we've had Tamil Tigers, or their supporters, here for years. IIRC, when I lived in Toronto in 93, there was talk of them as they chose the Toronto area as home. I think there was some big hoopla about the gov't finally declaring the group as terrorists, but before Sept. 11/01.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
Brihard
Non-Electric Pop Up Target

Ship's been boarded. They'll be brought into port in Esquimault for processing. A tent city is already up on the base, the hospital is planning for the influx, and RCMP and CBSA have surged personnel to deal with it.

Pretty typical mass refugee scenario with a few bad Pples in the lot.

-Thucydides
Brihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #8
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

My brain is too sleepy to read tonight Brian - I'm for bed soon. Legally, does the government expect to be treating them as refugee claimants?
Old 08-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #9
Brihard
Non-Electric Pop Up Target

Probably most of them. Some will be investigated as possible LTTE members, and some potentially as human traffickers.

Most quite understandably probably just wanted to get the hell out of Sri Lanka.

-Thucydides

Last edited by Brihard; 08-13-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Brihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:14 AM   #10
rb.
Hey, USA, you're not the boss of me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
Legally, does the government expect to be treating them as refugee claimants?
Sue, a few nights ago there was a lengthy news piece (CTV?) about everything set and ready to go when they arrived...the tents, the lawyers, the medical professionals, etc. I believe they said the gov't had employees ready to process refugee claims, as well. Sure as hell hope they're not released into the general population TB positive.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #11
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

You're right rb - I caught a bit on CBC this morning. I simply haven't found time yet to sit 7 do a good, deep reading of what's going on. My week has vanished into thin air & it's been frustrating to not have the time to do the detailed reading I've wanted to.

Tags
board, canada, lanka, navy, police, refugee, sends, ship, ships, sri, stop