Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Alternative and Survival Medicine

Alternative and Survival Medicine Investigations and discussion into health systems, practices, and products that are not considered part of conventional medicine.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #26
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 3,208 Times in 1,821 Posts
Remiron is what I'm taking. I had 3-4 days of terminal sleepiness & feeling like I was in a complete fog. That all went away & even that odd 'cold drop of water' feeling is happening less & less.

We can report odd side effects directly to Health Canada here - I did.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #27
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,111 Posts
Must .... back....away.....from.....keyboard...

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #28
Ter
Member Level 5

My wife started taking them after I read about those enzymes here in these columns. She felt great with them, told me she didn't feel "full" after a meal, and she is convinced she lost weight. We don't have a scale in the house, strongly prohibited by my so-called submissive wife.

Ter
Ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:26 AM   #29
Ter
Member Level 5

It is now official : my wife not only feels good but lost weight, visibly and measurable. Five pounds gone, in two months. She stopped going to the gym around the time she started taking the enzymes.

An American friend brought four vials of 240 pills each so we will last some time.

Question : should I also take them ? I avoid every extra pill since I started taking warfarin and I have two BP medicines also.

Ter
Old 09-29-2010, 08:00 AM   #30
flourbug
fumbling around in the dark

Thanked 3,411 Times in 1,918 Posts
Why not? I think my experience was very unusual... and most likely due to an allergic reaction.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #31
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

I gave them a try and have been able to eat foods that used to send my heart burn into overdrive. I have been able to enjoy things like bananas, steaks with steamed onions, popcorn, chocolate, peanut butter and raw tomatoes all without needing an acid reducer or feeling uncomfortable. It is so cool that food isn't the enemy like it was.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #32
sandyd
Beach Fun

Quote:
warfarin and I have two BP medicines also.
I do think you need to do some research first.

The only way to win is to not play...(like global thermal nuclear war).
sandyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #33
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

T:
Quote:
"Question : should I also take them ? I avoid every extra pill since I started taking warfarin and I have two BP medicines also."
Ask your doctor, but I am confident they will say "no problem!" As LDW said, they help you deal with stuff you cannot digest well anymore. I have a lot of trouble with bacon cheeseburgers if I do not take digestive enzymes right before eating them. With the enzymes, I can deal with them just fine. And I really like a good bacon cheesebuger.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #34
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

A test for these little pills... sloppy joes and tater tots.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #35
Susan4
4ster

I've been using them too, sporadically (not a great pill popper here). Today's test was leftovers of a spicy hot sausage, onion, pepper sauce in a lavash wrap with provolone. I give two thumbs up, no burps!
Susan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:16 PM   #36
Susan4
4ster

A better test for me would be underripe banana... those will usually leave me doubled over in stomach pain for a couple hours.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #37
flourbug

I can eat anything without digestive problems. Except, apparently, enzyme pills. lol
Old 09-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #38
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

No heartburn from the sloppy joes and tater tots. I can't bring myself to try the ultimate test... apple juice. Someone try it for me and see if it works.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:48 PM   #39
Susan4
4ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvDemWings View Post
No heartburn from the sloppy joes and tater tots. I can't bring myself to try the ultimate test... apple juice. Someone try it for me and see if it works.
same with me and yellow nanners
Old 09-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #40
Ter
Member Level 5

Thanks, guys !

I started taking them yesterday and I feel "light" after meals. I have skipped dinners a couple of times recently because I felt full from lunch at dinner time.

Also : I need to lose twenty pounds. Giving up smoking (thirteen months ago, yeah) has produced a "spare tyre" around my waist.

Ter
Old 10-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #41
sandyd
Beach Fun

FB: were you taking these?

http://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP1111/

Old 10-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #42
flourbug

sandyd, I took these:

“When the situation was manageable it was neglected, and now that it is thoroughly out of hand we apply too late the remedies which then might have effected a cure. There is nothing new in the story. It is as old as the sibylline books. It falls into that long, dismal catalogue of the fruitlessness of experience and the confirmed unteachability of mankind. Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong–these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history.”
— Winston Churchill, House of Commons, 2 May 1935.

Price history
Old 10-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #43
sandyd
Beach Fun

Compare the ingredients to what BG said they were taking....which is what I think my link goes to

Old 10-03-2010, 10:54 PM   #44
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

The better enzyme blends contain HCL and ox bile. It sounds awful, but those are the ones that work best. Surprisingly, though they contain HCL (hydrochloric acid), they actually help people with GIRD. It seems counterintuitive, but the presence of the acid not only helps digest the food, it also prevents your natural 'acid pumps' in your stomach from turning on and going into overdrive, giving you heartburn. Another thing to look for is papain, a natural enzyme found in papaya and pineapple. It is the active ingredient in meat tenderizer, and helps break down difficult to digest foods.

I use Now Foods Super Enzymes. I prefer the tablets to the capsules, as they are easier to swallow. Now makes a very high quality product.

http://www.nowfoods.com/Products/M003112.htm
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:07 AM   #45
Ross
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,593 Times in 906 Posts
06 recommends ..
Quote:
The better enzyme blends contain HCL and ox bile.
Extract ....
Quote:
There are reasons for suspecting that bile or bile derivatives
may have a role in the genesis of cancer.
http://www.jstor.org/pss/4583010

Bile acids in experimental colorectal cancer .
Quote:
"Bile acids probably promote colorectal carcinogenisis by stimulating
mucosal hyperplasia but only in the peresnece of faeces "
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...01538-0014.pdf

Extract
Quote:
Unfortunately some bile acids are apparently capable of damaging the cells that line the digestive tract. So far the evidence that bile acids are involved in colon cancer is largely circumstantial, but it is accepted that bile acids could promote the cancer initiation process. Thus, a supplement of ox bile should only be taken with a meal, and the amount used should be carefully regulated even if you need to divide pills into halves or quarters, in order to avoid discomfort such as diarrhea.
http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrob...d=oid%3A306914

“Gold is money. Everything else is credit.”

Last edited by Ross; 10-05-2010 at 06:01 AM.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross For This Useful Post:
sandyd (05-17-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #46
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thumbs up

Back when taking digestive enzymes for weight loss was talked about here, I gave them a try. I was eating a standard diet, nothing special. I took the enzymes before meals, but didn't lose weight with them, so I stopped.

These days I have switched to the Wahls Program. I had fasted before doing so, so that it would be easier to get off the carbs. Dr. Wahls recommends digestive enzymes before meals, but I sort of wrote it off as B.S. at first. The whole time I was having problems with diarrhea. This is a problem that I encountered coming off fasting, and increasingly with everything that I ate or drank, except water. I mean, it was so bad that I could hardly leave the house anymore, or had to eat only one meal in the evening when I could plan some serious toilet time. I couldn't even have my morning coffee without out kicking off a round of toilet time.

By chance, I happened to talk with a friend about digestive enzymes, the Wahls Program, etc. I decided to give them another try. I took one capsule about 15 min. before my morning coffee, and 15 min. before any meal or snack. It has been 4 days now that I have had no diarrhea, just as regular as anyone could wish for. I thought I had really messed up my gut with pain pills or something. I had diagnosed myself with IBS mentally. The whole juggling of meals, toilets and pain was making me really depressed. It never even occurred to me that digestive enzymes could even help with my problem. I had just been aiming for general better health by trying them. I thought I was going to have to go back to a standard diet and no fasting because of the problem, and now it's gone!

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mousehound For This Useful Post:
blue gecko (05-17-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #47
kanuck57
NeverAcceptQuestionAll

Maybe try a different brand.

We use Udo`s Digestive Enzyme Blend. Can be found at most health stores.
http://udoerasmus.com/products/digestive_enzymes_en.htm

Last edited by Mousehound; 05-18-2014 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Mistakenly hit edit instead of quote. Fixed.
kanuck57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #48
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck57 View Post
Maybe try a different brand.

We use Udo`s Digestive Enzyme Blend. Can be found at most health stores.
http://udoerasmus.com/products/digestive_enzymes_en.htm
The enzymes didn't cause the problem for me, but solved it. It had been a long time problem.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enzyme, pills