Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News

News This is the forum where we post hard news and current events. If it is outside the box then that is where it goes. If it is your opinion, please write in the Op/Ed forum.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
flourbug
fumbling around in the dark

Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,691 Posts
Default 41 of Obama's White House Aides owe $831k in Back Taxes

Capitol Hill employees owe $9.3 Million in back taxes:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...rc=nl_polalert

Slightly less than 10% of that figure traces to 41 of Obama's top WH aides.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/wash...taxes-irs.html

Not just Daschle and Geitner have been avoiding paying taxes. From the link above we get this information:

41 people inside Obama's very own White House owe the government they're allegedly running a total of $831,055 in back taxes.

In the House of Representatives, 421 people owe a total $6,524,892.

In the Senate, 217 owe $2,774,836.

In the IRS' parent department, Treasury, 1,204 owe $7,670,814.

At the Labor Department, where Secretary Hilda Solis' husband had some back-tax problems before her confirmation, 463 owe $7,481,463.

Eighty-one workers for the Federal Reserve System's board of governors owe $1,076,733.

Over at the Justice Department, which is so busy enforcing other laws and suing Arizona, 1,971 employees still owe $14,350,152 in overdue taxes.

Then, we come to the Department of Homeland Security, which is run by Janet Napolitano, the former governor of Arizona who preferred to call terrorist acts "man-caused disasters." Homeland Security is keeping all of us safe by ensuring that a Dutch tourist is aboard every inbound international flight to thwart any would-be bomber with explosives in his underpants.

Within that department, there reside 4,856 people who owe the tax agency a whopping total of $37,012,174.

Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined. ~ Patrick Henry

Price history
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
AndreaCA
one of those hopelessly disorganized people

"Do as I say, not as I do?"

FLICKING HYPOCRITES - I just put our estimated tax check in the mail - not for back taxes but for taxes that we'll owe for next year! If I didn't send that in, do you think the IRS would give me a free pass too?
AndreaCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
flourbug
fumbling around in the dark

Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,691 Posts
I once asked someone in the know about this situation.

If you are a government employee they do not take back taxes out of your paycheck or seize your property, because you might seek revenge in the office. At the same time they cannot fire you for failure to pay back taxes. So they have to keep you on and can't touch you. Which is like a free pass - see how this is not just a handful of people but THOUSANDS of government employees, just in the Capitol, are ignoring their tax bills while enforcing ours. Not so ironically it is the very people who enforce the laws who are most likely to be aware of what will (not) happen to them when they fail to pay.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Samen
unregistered

But but almost one trilion ?
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
$831k, aides, back, house, obama, owe, taxes, tbmfp, white