Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Kitchen > Dairy

Old 11-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 2,680 Times in 1,581 Posts
Default Heck of a pricing scare yesterday...

I was sitting our front enjoying the pallis fall sunshine when a neighbour stopped to gtreet me on his way in with a few groceries. He immediately began bemoaning the price of milk. I pay $4.17 for a gallon of 2% - a perfectly acceptable price. He told me he'd just come from my fvourite el cheapo discount grocery store & the price had jumped - with no notice - to $4.95 from $4.17! My heart sank - I'm a milk junkie & that's a hefty price rise.

I had to shop anyway.... luckily he was wrong. I noticed a $4.95 shelf tag right beside the correct one for the milk I buy. I suspect he simply read the wrong one & didn't check his bill. Heart attack averted. And bonus - butter on at $2.88/lb. Sugar just under $1/lb which isn't bad.

Makes up for the truly horrifying price hikes in cereal prices, meat & a LOT of fruit & veg.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

We bought 1/2 gallon of 2% Saturday and it was $1.10. Milk goes bad if we buy it by the gallon.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
rb.
Hey, USA, you're not the boss of me!

Basics, Sue? I went in for butter, but in typical fashion, they were out. Got dinged at 3.49 for it elsewhere. Your milk price is exactly the same as ours this week. I used to buy the jugs at Mac's cause they were cheaper, but Basics is below them now.

What's blowing me away is cheese...7.99 for the big one (500g?) regular price no name. Thank gawd Black Diamond is on for 4.99. Yogurt is about wiping out the budget, too.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

What's the exchange rate for our money now?

Milk here is $2.98/gallon at Safeway and 2 gallons for $3.98 at Costco. Butter is something like $1.87/lb for a 4 pound pack at Costco. If I had to buy butter in other grocery stores, I couldn't afford it.
drummagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:30 AM   #5
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

No Frills rb - the No Name cheeses are on this week for $4.99 for the big brick. I'm the only yoghurt eater in the house & for some unfathomable reason, I LOVE the No Name, thin strawberry one. Which is good because I can pick up a 750 ml tub of it for $1.97. I've been known to wipe out one of those tubs in an evening.

I only hit Food Basics when I go downtown - it's 2 miles one way & that's a long hike back with a big backpack full of food. They generally match No Frills for most prices & if there's a really good loss leader on, I'll make the effort to go there. Rarely though - small store, crowded & poorly laid out.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:11 AM   #6
rb.
Hey, USA, you're not the boss of me!

drum... The canadian dollar today is worth 99.57 cents US. Our dairy has been much higher than yours for as long as I can remember. Meat, too.

Sue, that little cramped store here is the No Frills...it's in the Italian end of town, and the little old women like to park their carts in the middle of the tiny aisle and natter away to each other in Italian all day. Unless they are giving food away, I avoid it like the plague.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Sue I sure wish I lived closer to you to make a milk delivery worth while. My expensive store has its milk for $1.99 a gallon as a weekly loss leader. No good sales on butter or cheese but live lobsters are on sale for $6.99 a pound.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Wow - excellent price.

I've noticed everything except 'garbage food' is going up here. That's going to make it even tougher for people to eat nutritiously.

Sad to watch an entire generation growing up with no knowledge of cooking or real food.

I was especially appalled a week or more ago. I was looking at an online article about baby food & went to the company website - they were touting 'move up' food for babies past the stuff in jars. To my dismay & disgust, these 'entrees' were nothing more than baby's first tv dinners!

I'll try & find the site again.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Here it is, about 2/3 of the way down the page. Read it & weep:

http://www.nestle-baby.ca/en/product...eals/index.htm
Old 11-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
Feather

Grocery ads in todays paper. The store's here have Folgers coffee 33.9oz can for $5.99 this week. Then one has Cottonelle 12 pk double rolls for $6.88 and another one has it for $4.99. I'll be doing my shopping plan tonight.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
booger
Scrappy Vahjeen

I'm with ya, Feather. I'm trying to rework our entire shopping/cooking/eating routine in order to restock the pantry back up to acceptable levels. Prices have changed quite a bit since I last had money to throw at a grocery store on a regular basis!

SpeedKin & SlowMoFood
booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #12
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Cottonelle.... I would love to have some of that in my house but noooooo. The SO likes store brand version of Scott 1000 sheet rolls. Its really sad when you visit a gas station restroom and they have softer toilet tissue then you get at home.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #13
Feather

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvDemWings View Post
Cottonelle.... I would love to have some of that in my house but noooooo. The SO likes store brand version of Scott 1000 sheet rolls. Its really sad when you visit a gas station restroom and they have softer toilet tissue then you get at home.
Been there. Been so poor that paper products in the home where used in ways they shouldn't. I would not recomend coffee filters, they are scratchy and crumpled news paper really is not good on so many levels. Now I am paranoid about running out of TP. If there isn't a full 24 roll pkg in the back room I'm buying more.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #14
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather View Post
Been there. Been so poor that paper products in the home where used in ways they shouldn't. I would not recomend coffee filters, they are scratchy and crumpled news paper really is not good on so many levels. Now I am paranoid about running out of TP. If there isn't a full 24 roll pkg in the back room I'm buying more.
You can always revert to washing instead.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #15
Arianwen
This runner/cyclist fueled by Irish Tea

My DH has let's just say, digestive troubles (he's on some meds for it, long term) so he doesn't really use TP, he hops in the shower.

It beats using 4000 pieces of TP, eh?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #16
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

There is a local grocery store that carries natural hormone- and antibiotic-free meat that I keep an eye on. If the meat does not sell fast enough, they mark it way down. I just yesterday scored a couple New York steaks for $8/pound, instead of the usual $14/pound. Good stuff to throw into the freezer.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:57 PM   #17
Feather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousehound View Post
You can always revert to washing instead.
I've done that too

Tags
heck, pricing, scare, yesterday