Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News

News This is the forum where we post hard news and current events. If it is outside the box then that is where it goes. If it is your opinion, please write in the Op/Ed forum.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow China has the capability to destroy five of our six bases in the eastern Asia/western Pacific region

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-bases/?page=1
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.

Last edited by Ought Six; 11-15-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
andy
Senior Level 2

This is a much more effective link:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-bases/?page=1
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
Ought Six
Dismember

Red face

Oops! Original link fixed. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
andy
Senior Level 2

So Ought..... what do you think of the artical?!
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

The claim is correct. We have Patriot PAC-III & IV batteries at these bases that can intercept tactical ballistic missiles like the ones that the Chinese are using. But the Chinese have such large numbers of them that a saturation attack would easily overwhelm those defenses. I think that our bases are, in fact, as vulnerable as the article suggests.

An Aegis cruiser or destroyer or two on station would change the calculus significantly in our favor so far as Chinese tactical ballistic missiles, but that ties down some of our most powerful ships near these bases. And not all of them are near enough to a coastline for that to work. I am in favor of a permanent land-based Aegis installation at these bases to better defend them. That could be done without too much trouble, but considering the military's budget woes, it seems unlikely unless the Congress mandates it.

The cruise missile threat is a tougher problem. Cruise missiles hide down in the terrain. so a combination of AWACS and modern fighters with look-down/shoot-down RADAR capability would be needed to stop them, along with a layered SAM defense close in to the bases. With the large numbers of cruise missiles involved, we would need to seriously increase our fighter strength in the region in order to adequately defend those bases against this threat. Something like a land-based Sea Ram system would be very helpful as the inner defense layer. That would be quite easily doable. Again though, budget realities make this sort of thing unlikely.

We are almost certain not to take adequate defensive measures, and thus we are setting ourselves up for another Pearl Harbor.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911

How many Chinese bases can we destroy at the same time?

"When the enemy is in range, so are you!" - Murphy
كافر & Proud
Glockd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,623 Times in 997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockd View Post
How many Chinese bases can we destroy at the same time?
That is a point that is missed more often than not.

We are still working on "mutually assured destruction".

No one can guarantee 100% protection from enemy attack. You wouldn't want to live that way.

What we can guarantee is that if someone, like China, were to saturate bomb a base (nuke or not) they are going to get it in kind.

Yes, it would be bad to lose those bases, but it would would be worse for China, and their economy if they were to lose some major shipping ports like Dalian, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Shanghai, Nanjing, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ports_in_China

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Absolutely true. We have hordes of Tomahawk cruise missiles that we can sit back and launch from beyond the range of Chinese defenses, and there is little they could do to defend against such a saturation attack. That is a strong deterrent to be sure, but I still believe that leaving our bases vulnerable is a huge mistake.

Tags
asia or western, bases, capability, china, destroy, eastern, pacific, region