Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Medical News

Medical News News, information and discussions about health issues, medicine and biotechnology.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow Fedgov says 15,000 Medicare patients die each month from substandard hospital care

http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/hea...medicare_N.htm
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
ob1
Member Level 5

Even with Obama at the helm? Well I never.
ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
ukmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1 View Post
Even with Obama at the helm? Well I never.
Changing a crap system is going to take decades..a problem inherited by Obama not caused by him.

"We spend two pennies trying to deliver safe health care for every dollar we spent trying to develop new genes and new drugs," Pronovost said. "We have to invest in the science of health care delivery.
"

That in essence is the problem.
ukmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:39 AM   #4
ob1
Member Level 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmum View Post
Changing a crap system is going to take decades..a problem inherited by Obama not caused by him.

"We spend two pennies trying to deliver safe health care for every dollar we spent trying to develop new genes and new drugs," Pronovost said. "We have to invest in the science of health care delivery.
"

That in essence is the problem.
And noone with good sense is expecting him to remedy our healthcare problems over night. It just doesn't correlate with all of the smack he was preaching during his campaign rhetoric. Then the state of healthcare and the problems with medicare was all Bush's fault. Remember?
ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
kanuck57
NeverAcceptQuestionAll

Default Medical Errors kill 15,000 aged patients a month: study

Errors kill 15,000 aged patients a month: study
Maggie Fox, Health and Science Editor
WASHINGTON
Nov 16, 2010
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6AF5SM20101116

180,000 deaths a year were presented in a report by the Office of Inspector General at the Health and Human Services Department.................................
kanuck57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
sandyd
Beach Fun

If we had no modern medical care....how many would die?

And 15K out of how many? What if that is less than 1%?

I know I figured early in nursing school....if I gave up nursing, I was going to law school...I knew how to find the mistakes....they ARE everywhere...the amazing thing is most actually do get help and live longer.

I know preventing mistakes is a big area of growth....fighting normal human nature where mistakes happen is tough. And it's almost always a cascade effect....takes more than one mistake and more than one person to screw up.

The only way to win is to not play...(like global thermal nuclear war).
sandyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

One wrong prescription can easily kill a healthy person. An elderly person is usually on many drugs, and a prescription that may be otherwise fine could kill them just because they are taking something else that makes a deadly combination with the new prescription. I know they try to avoid that kind of thing, but it happens all too frequently. And when mistakes do occur, the elderly are weaker, less resilient, less likely to pay attention to or question what they are being given, and for all these reasons simply much easier to accidentally kill.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #8
sandyd
Beach Fun

I dunno if most or all have gone to computer rx....even in the hospital, at the bedside but they have here in SoCal. Enter nurse ID, enter pt, scan pt id on patient, scan med....everything has to match up and have been entered plus the computer will scream if there is an allergy so the med isn't given....

As long as no one short cuts that it's making a lot less errors.

Pharmacies like WalMart, RideAid etc all use computers to cross check so not going somewhere all your meds are not on file is a risk...stay at the same chain = safer.

I have, sadly, heard of different meds actually put in the rx bottle but that's another stupid human error hard as heck to fix. Maybe get scanners for the bottle to match in the computer to the bottle as it's filled for the pt at the pharmacy?

The only way to win is to not play...(like global thermal nuclear war).
sandyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #9
kanuck57
NeverAcceptQuestionAll

Default Hospital Errors Result In 15,000 Elderly Deaths Monthly

Hospital Errors Result In 15,000 Elderly Deaths Monthly
17 November 2010
http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/...ths_mon thly/

An estimated one in seven elderly patients have experienced some form of adverse effect or medical error during a hospital stay, according to new Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) statistics released Tuesday.

Department of Health and Human Services
OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL ADVERSE EVENTS IN HOSPITALS:
NATIONAL INCIDENCE AMONG MEDICARE BENEFICIARIES
http://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-06-09-00090.pdf

The OIG report notes that over 13-percent of all patients covered by Medicare, or nearly 135,000 total individuals, met at least one of their criteria for an "adverse effect." Included among those criteria are surgical errors, infections, or conditions such as a drastic decrease in blood sugar levels, claims Reuters Health and Science Editor Maggie Fox.

Many of those individuals experienced events that resulted in temporary harm. However, according to the OIG report, "An estimated 1.5 percent of Medicare beneficiaries experienced an event that contributed to their deaths, which projects to 15,000 patients in a single month."

According to Fox, the statistics translate to about 180,000 total deaths annually.

"Physician reviewers determined that 44 percent of adverse and temporary harm events were clearly or likely preventable," the study, a random sample of 780 Medicare beneficiaries who had been discharged from a hospital in October 2008, also concluded.

"Events related to surgery or procedures were less likely to be preventable than other types of events, such as hospital-acquired infections. Preventable events were linked most commonly to medical errors, substandard care, and lack of patient monitoring and assessment," it said.

The OIG paper recommended that the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) and the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) should broaden their patient safety efforts, and that AHRQ specifically "should sponsor periodic, ongoing measurement of the incidence of adverse events." CMS, on the other hand, should "provide further incentives for hospitals to reduce the incidence of adverse events through its payment and oversight functions."

In a statement posted to the organization's website, Lisa McGiffert, the Director of the Consumer Union's Safe Patient Project, said that the OIG report "shows that hospital patients are being harmed by medical errors at an alarming rate."

"When mistakes are made in hospitals, the consequences can be serious and too often deadly," she said. "Unfortunately, most Americans have no way of knowing whether their hospital is doing a good job preventing medical errors."

"The public should have the right to know when hospitals harm patients," McGiffert added. "We need public reporting of medical errors so we can hold hospitals accountable for keeping patients safe."

Last edited by kanuck57; 11-27-2010 at 08:23 AM.
kanuck57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
000, aged, care, deaths, die, elderly, errors, fedgov, hospital, kill, medical, medicare, month, monthly, patients, result, study, substandard