Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News > MidEast Turmoil

MidEast Turmoil The world has its eyes on the uprisings in Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan and Syria. TBM has created a special forum for up to the minute news and discussion of rapidly changing events.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
Brihard
Non-Electric Pop Up Target

Default Syria acknowledges chem, bio stockpiles- will use in 'external' attack

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2...l-weapons.html

Sort of a big deal. States don't just spout off like this, and admitting you have chemical and biological weapons is a significant foreign policy decision.

I figured this deserves a thread of its own, since the potential ramifications extend well beyond the civil war.

-Thucydides
Brihard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 1,357 Times in 740 Posts
Thanks for posting Brian.

Quote:
"All of these types of weapons are in storage and under security and the direct supervision of the Syrian armed forces, and will never be used unless Syria is exposed to external aggression."
Well that gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,167 Posts
Shame on China and Russia if they veto resolutions in the UN again.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 2,107 Times in 1,080 Posts
There were reports earlier this month that at least some chemical weapons were moved from their usual location (CNN report).

Yesterday, according to Business Week, both the U.S. and Israel made strong comments about the possibility of the weapons being used against Syrian Free Forces, or that they'd be allowed to fall under the control of Hezbollah.

And today, the spokesman for the Syrian Foreign Ministry acknowledged that Syrian does have chemical weapons.

From CBC News:

Quote:
""No chemical or biological weapons will ever be used, and I repeat, will never be used, during the crisis in Syria no matter what the developments inside Syria," Makdissi said in news conference broadcast on Syrian state TV. "All of these types of weapons are in storage and under security and the direct supervision of the Syrian armed forces and will never be used unless Syria is exposed to external aggression."

While the statement Makdissi read out promised not to use the weapons against the Syrian people, he later noted that Damascus is not facing an internal enemy in the rebellion, which the regime has described as being funded from abroad and driven by foreign extremists."

I get the sense that U.S./Israeli intel has picked up on something new going on with the weapons.

ETA: And now this just came out, via Twitter:
"UN Chief Ban Ki Moon says 'very concerned Syria may be tempted to use chemical weapons' - @Reuters"

So, even more indications that Syria is trying to do something and they're being warned not to do it.

Dr. Michael Osterholm, CIDRAP: "The virus is moving on virus time; we're moving on bureaucracy time."
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 3,607 Times in 2,016 Posts
Watch them redefine 'external' to suit their own purposes.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:42 AM   #6
Catbird
Chasing my tailfeathers

Thanked 2,107 Times in 1,080 Posts
AlArabiya is not the best source, and neither are reports from 'rebels', but this may explain what has been going on.

via Twitter

"Report: Syrian rebels say Assad has moved chemical weapons to borders - @AlArabiya_Eng"

Dr. Michael Osterholm, CIDRAP: "The virus is moving on virus time; we're moving on bureaucracy time."
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
Sonny
Senior Level 4

Christian Science Monitor - ‎1 hour ago‎
One day after threatening to unleash chemical weapons if it were invaded, Syria denies having unconventional weapons, and says West is preparing an Iraq-style intervention.

“We shouldn’t forget that this is a disease of poverty, of dysfunctional health systems –– and of distrust,”

" For this reason, information, communication and involvement of community leaders are as important as the classical medical approach."

--
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acknowledges, attack, bio, chem, external, stockpiles, syria