Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Archives and Link Library > The Lookout Tower Archive

Old 02-02-2011, 01:47 AM   #126
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 3,604 Times in 2,014 Posts
It looks to be about a half hour away & yeah dawn will bring heavy bursts of snow judging by the radar. Humidity has just cranked right up & the wind is steady at 16-17 but gusts are picking up.

I'm heading off to bed for a couple of hours of sleep.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:02 AM   #127
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

It started here about a half hour ago it's accumulating fast...
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:50 AM   #128
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

Its 2:30am and the sleet pinging off the window woke me up.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #129
DReynolds
irishisasirishdoes

Chicago asks all residents to shelter in place
DReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #130
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 1,355 Times in 740 Posts
We had what looks to be about a half inch of icing overnight. On my way into work, I noticed the power was out in a couple of areas. It took a while to chisel the vehicles out of ice, other than that no major problems.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #131
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Serious lunch bag let down for us....I bet theres not 10 cm out there and it's stopped for the day.

The kids got a snow day so it's all good. We didn't even drag the snow blower out. My brother who is here for the night, shoveled the driveway when he went our for a smoke this morning.

Hey Mr.Weatherman.....
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #132
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I doubt we have more than an hour of this left. The wind is picking up though so what we have will blow around. SO & I just shovelled out the two parking spaces after they suggested we MIGHT see ice pellets later. Figured we might as well remove what ws already there. A few spots had about two feet deep or snow but it was just drifting. I don't think we've had more than 4" of the stuff - it's really hard to tell.

A tenent just went out & shovelled part of the back walkway - staff took off in their SUV about a half hour ago; Lord only knows where they were going. She gave up after doing the porch area & a bit of the walk. I'm not touching it - I don't work here.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #133
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Thanked 1,355 Times in 740 Posts
Turns out that the power is off in about 1/2 of the elementary schools in my district. They had announced a 2 hour delay, and then upgraded to a day off. Many people didn't get the message, took their kids to school to be turned away, or are standing at bus stops waiting for busses that aren't coming. What a mess.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #134
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

They've GOT to do a better job of local forecasting during these events - this is silly.

We're down to intermittant snow but we're getting freezing rain & ice pellets in the mix now. I thught SO was insane going out to start shovelling before it stopped, although I joined him. He was right. I'm tired from heaving snow up a snow mountain & if we'd waited, it would be even heavier.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #135
flourbug
fumbling around in the dark

Thanked 3,770 Times in 2,083 Posts
DD in NJ says they have 3" ice pellets + 1 inch ice and she spent 30 minutes hacking away at her windshield to get it all off.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #136
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

we got about 12" of snow... for a long time it was falling horizontally

the hubby got to have a snow day from work yesterday (paid by the company thankfully) he had to go in today said the hwys have been taken pretty good care of but our side streets are a mess.

Looking at the temps here for the rest of the week... the kids MIGHT go back to school Friday... I dont think they will go back to school tomorrow we are still going to be in the negative temps here (-9 to -3 between 6am and 9am). They might do late start because of the amount of snow days they have had but usually they just cancel here.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #137
flourbug

Some awesome photos: http://gizmodo.com/5749871/how-in-sn...-car-like-this

... and if you think YOU have snow, check out Japan: http://gizmodo.com/5718892/new-york-...ovie-right-now
“When the situation was manageable it was neglected, and now that it is thoroughly out of hand we apply too late the remedies which then might have effected a cure. There is nothing new in the story. It is as old as the sibylline books. It falls into that long, dismal catalogue of the fruitlessness of experience and the confirmed unteachability of mankind. Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong–these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history.”
— Winston Churchill, House of Commons, 2 May 1935.

Price history
Old 02-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #138
D. Gale
Make a Wish

We got at least a foot. My yardstick didn't do too well with the high winds -- there's only 6" by the tree we taped it to. But we've got 3'-4' drifts near the back door where the winds whipped the snow through.
"The kill rate in humans infected with Ebola Zaire is nine out of ten. Ninety percent of the people who come down with Ebola Zaire die of it. Ebola Zaire is a slate wiper in humans." --Richard Preston, The Hot Zone

"Don't worry. Ebola could never gain a foothold in the west due to our advanced medical infrastructure and rigorous protocols." -- Exodia
D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #139
rb.
Hey, USA, you're not the boss of me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post
Some awesome photos: http://gizmodo.com/5749871/how-in-sn...-car-like-this

... and if you think YOU have snow, check out Japan: http://gizmodo.com/5718892/new-york-...ovie-right-now
Wow. That baby caught some air to stay like THAT!
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #140
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

I dont understand WHY ppl feel they must drive when they are TOLD stay home stay off the streets... freaking nuts

Old 02-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #141
rb.
Hey, USA, you're not the boss of me!

Lots of reasons, kg. Threat of job loss, travel for medical reasons that can't be put off, etc.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:42 AM   #142
occupant
Infosponge

We ended up with about 10" of the stuff.I felt that I had to try to get in to work.I take a freeway most of the way so I checked the traffic cams and there were NO cars! I headed out an hour early anyway and there were NO cars! Me and 3 other cars on a major fricken freeway,cool.Two lanes were plowed to the pavement.WTF, there must have been some major flack to the road comission from the last big storm and major traffic snarl. At work, out of 60 employees, 30 called off. We are a big corporation and were busy as heck, even got some overtime...
occupant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:37 AM   #143
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

We ended up with maybe 6 inches. Of course there are some large drifts but it's pretty clear here.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #144
flourbug

More amazing pics - and be sure to scroll all the way down to the last video to see and hear ThunderSnow!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...blanketed.html
Old 02-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #145
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 1,487 Times in 830 Posts
a woman in Oklahoma City was killed while sledding behind a truck that hit a guard rail while it was pulling her

Major Darwin Fail!

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #146
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/s...ble/43218238/1

7500 flights were canceled because of the storm. They are saying it will take several days to sort out the mess.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #147
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post
More amazing pics - and be sure to scroll all the way down to the last video to see and hear ThunderSnow!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...blanketed.html

Those are AWESOME!!

I experienced thundersnow once, in a January in North Idaho.

It was confusing
drummagick is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming, ice, major, plains or midwest or ne, snow, tuesday