Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News > MidEast Turmoil

MidEast Turmoil The world has its eyes on the uprisings in Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan and Syria. TBM has created a special forum for up to the minute news and discussion of rapidly changing events.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
flourbug
fumbling around in the dark

Thanked 3,275 Times in 1,862 Posts
Default Mubarak in coma

I haven't seen this covered anywhere on TBM...

Hosni Mubarak fell into a coma shortly after relinquishing power. He was flown to a hospital in Germany where he is in a "life or death" state.

http://www.examiner.com/foreign-poli...rmany-hospital
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
preppiechick
Senior Level 1

Ought and Mayerling did mention the rumor here:

http://thisbluemarble.com/showthread...=34447&page=24

Rather convenient for all, huh?
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands now deserves the love and thanks of men and woman. Tyranny like hell is not easily conquered yet we have this consolation with us, the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value."

-Thomas Paine
preppiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/14/re...ll-from-power/

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...3bba916cbc.5f1

No confirmation so far.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:26 AM   #4
Sonny
Senior Level 4

I wonder? Had he been on the phone with Obama? You know, there seems to have been some of that going around recently.
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:17 AM   #5
Mayerling
Member Level 4

Not surprising to me at all. He has been quite ill for a long time. Frankly, he has never been the same since the death of his grandson. It was always my opinion that the only reason he wanted to stay in office until Sept was so that he could die in office. I knew about a month ago that he would NOT be running for the upcoming elections in Sept. And I was told that by ministers of his administration
Al Ahram paper yesterday mentioned that he was in a coma and is still in Sharm El Sheik. It was also rumored on the day of his second announcement ( that he would not be stepping down) that he collapsed 3 times prior to giving the speech and that it was filmed in segments. Al Ahram reported that it was Gamal Mubarak who insisted that the President stayed in power ( the president wanted to step down from the beginning) and that he rewrote the speech. Alaa Mubarak ( the eldest son) is supposedly very much at odds with Gamal and blames him for the way in which their father stepped down.

There is much good that President Mubarak did for Egypt. I assure you that if he had died in office - prior to these demonstrations- that there would have been an out pouring of grief and it would have been sincere.
Mayerling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:15 AM   #6
DReynolds
irishisasirishdoes

Isn't it odd how in modern times you have a dictator handing down (or trying to hand down) power to his sons, and then grandsons, whether N.Korea or Egypt, yet we don't call them Kings and we don't say Monarchy. But of course that's what it is.
DReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
Samen
unregistered

Report: Mubarak's Death a Matter of Time

A senior source in the Egyptian army was quoted Tuesday by the London-based Arabic daily Ash-Sharq il-Awsat as saying, "I would not be surprised if I hear at any minute that [deposed president Hosni] Mubarak is dead."

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Ne...sh.aspx/204205
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
Mayerling
Member Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samen View Post
Report: Mubarak's Death a Matter of Time

A senior source in the Egyptian army was quoted Tuesday by the London-based Arabic daily Ash-Sharq il-Awsat as saying, "I would not be surprised if I hear at any minute that [deposed president Hosni] Mubarak is dead."

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Ne...sh.aspx/204205
In a way this is very sad. Reports are saying that he was denied access to his cell phone or television and when he finally found out what state his country was in, wanted to step down on Thurs but Gamal stepped in. Ironic as it sounds. I hope that he has a state funeral or at the very least a full military funeral. The egyptians are a very emotional people and can be forgiving when moved emotionally.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
lilly
Senior Level 5

He was diagnosed last spring with stomach and pancreatic cancer. Given 12 to 18 months left.

Pacreatic cancer kills pretty quickly and he is 82.
lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:56 AM   #10
Mayerling
Member Level 4

there were reports last night of increased military activity around the area where military funerals for high profile officers are held and that former President Mubarak had died yesterday am. The ministry of information then denied this rumor.
Now the banks are closed for the next 2 days ( which makes it closed for an entire week since it was only open on Monday last week and Fri and Sat is the weekend here.).
Maybe this is due to strikes, have no idea.

Tags
coma, mubarak