Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Politics

Politics Step up and make your case on all manner of political topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
leistb
Senior Level 6
 
leistb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,567
Thanks: 336
Thanked 668 Times in 382 Posts
Default Clinton Pledges $25 Million to Get Around Thugs, Hackers and Censors

While the U.S. works on its own cyber kill switch, Clinton has pledged $25 million so dissidents in other countries can get around their own repressive governments.

Does anyone else see a contradiction here
?
leistb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico
 
Potemkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 23,701
Blog Entries: 3
Thanks: 74
Thanked 1,808 Times in 1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leistb View Post
While the U.S. works on its own cyber kill switch, Clinton has pledged $25 million so dissidents in other countries can get around their own repressive governments.

Does anyone else see a contradiction here
?
Not really, but didn't they pass around the tin cup when he got out of office?

I think he needed some cash for legal bills and living expenses until his speaking honoraria started coming in.
__________________
When surfing online remember Sturgeon's Law: "90% of everything is cr@p."

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Sysiphus
Senior Level 5
 
Sysiphus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 6,432
Thanks: 95
Thanked 380 Times in 261 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone else see a contradiction here?
Given that we don't routinely beat up protesters in the streets, no.
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
leistb
Senior Level 6
 
leistb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,567
Thanks: 336
Thanked 668 Times in 382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potemkin View Post
Not really, but didn't they pass around the tin cup when he got out of office?

I think he needed some cash for legal bills and living expenses until his speaking honoraria started coming in.
This is in reference to Hillary Clinton.
leistb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
leistb
Senior Level 6
 
leistb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,567
Thanks: 336
Thanked 668 Times in 382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysiphus View Post
Given that we don't routinely beat up protesters in the streets, no.
You have more faith than I...

This thread and a Google search suggests something different.
leistb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
Sonny
Senior Level 4
 
Sonny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,786
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 465
Thanked 318 Times in 227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leistb View Post
While the U.S. works on its own cyber kill switch, Clinton has pledged $25 million so dissidents in other countries can get around their own repressive governments.

Does anyone else see a contradiction here
?
Anyway, Narus, Inc., a US company has been in the news as provided Egypt the "Kill Switch" ?bit of a misnomer as it's does so much more.

Narus
http://news.google.com/news/section?...&q=topic:narus

Same company is said to have supplied AT&T with the surveillance equipment it needed to do wiretapping for the National Security Agency."
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
leistb
Senior Level 6
 
leistb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,567
Thanks: 336
Thanked 668 Times in 382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Anyway, Narus, Inc., a US company has been in the news as provided Egypt the "Kill Switch" ?bit of a misnomer as it's does so much more.

Narus
http://news.google.com/news/section?...&q=topic:narus

Same company is said to have supplied AT&T with the surveillance equipment it needed to do wiretapping for the National Security Agency."
Whew! I feel better already.
leistb is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
$25, censors, clinton, hackers, million, pledges, thugs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.