Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Medical News

Medical News News, information and discussions about health issues, medicine and biotechnology.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
ukmum

Default Chinese boy weighs 9 1/2 stone..aged 3!

OMG!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ALF-stone.html
ukmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,112 Posts
Over the last 10 years of me going to China, I am seeing more and more of these "Little Emperors".

You get 4 grandparents, 2 parents all doting on one child and a lot of things happen to society, all bad.

Good over view here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Emperor_Syndrome and here: http://www.uncorneredmarket.com/2008...ttle-emperors/

Parents try to reign them in, the lip quivers, and they get more food, another desert, etc..

They are trying to "restrict his diet" notice. Notice the styrofoam containing in front of him in one of the photographs. Yes, take away.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

How does he see? It looks like between the heavy eyelids and the fat cheeks his eyes don't open.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
Cactus Az
Member Level 5

It also could be this;

Prader-Willi syndrome is a rare disorder present at birth that results in a number of physical, mental and behavioral problems. A key feature of Prader-Willi (PRAH-dur VIL-ee) syndrome is a constant sense of hunger that usually begins after the first year of life.

People with Prader-Willi syndrome want to eat constantly and usually have trouble controlling their weight. Many complications of Prader-Willi syndrome are due to obesity.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pra...ndrome/DS00922

I had a friend years ago whose daughter had this. She had to keep all food under lock and key. The child was slow, but not severely so.
Cactus Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:50 PM   #5
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 3,212 Times in 1,822 Posts
Yeah, Prader-Willi was the first thing that came to mind. A difficult, difficult diagnosis to deal with if so.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Az View Post
It also could be this;

Prader-Willi syndrome is a rare disorder present at birth that results in a number of physical, mental and behavioral problems. A key feature of Prader-Willi (PRAH-dur VIL-ee) syndrome is a constant sense of hunger that usually begins after the first year of life.

People with Prader-Willi syndrome want to eat constantly and usually have trouble controlling their weight. Many complications of Prader-Willi syndrome are due to obesity.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pra...ndrome/DS00922

I had a friend years ago whose daughter had this. She had to keep all food under lock and key. The child was slow, but not severely so.
I just put a camper in the system that has this. In very large block letters the guardian wrote to monitor how much they person eats and to be sure to keep an eye on the person at night because they will get up at night and sneak food.

Tags
1 or 2, boy, chinese, stoneaged, weighs