Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Kitchen > The Cook's Corner

The Cook's Corner This is where we post our Dinner Threads, and tips and tricks for making the most delicious meals.

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 1,318 Times in 762 Posts
Default April 2011 Whatcha Cookin' Thread

Max and I were just talking about meal plans for the next couple of days. There's some left-over lobster and shrimp so we think dinner tonight will be Lobster Ravioli with Shrimp and a light alfredo sauce. The french bread I made yesterday turned out soooo well. There's enough left to go with the ravioli. We wish we could complete this meal "Coyote style" with all the romantic accoutrements but it just wouldn't be the same with my dad joining us

Max is going to keep working up the menudo and we'll have it for supper tomorrow (we can hardly wait!)

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
Old 04-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

The menudo is really coming together and the house smells wonderful! He just finished the chili sauce (dried then roasted chilis, simmered in boiling water then run through a food mill, add cumin, oregano, garlic, vinegar, salt, sugar and simmer) while seasoned tripe, pork and pisole (hominy) soup heats up. When served there will be cilantro, onion, chorizo, fresh chilis, lime and extra chili sauce to be sprinkled on top. We'll be serving it with hot flour tortillas. The house smells heavenly!

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
Old 04-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
Susan4
4ster

Coq au Vin with roasted asparagus here. Fresh bread and butter to go with. I've been on an artisan bread baking kick lately. I wanted to follow dear Julia's recipe, but all the do-everything-separate-then-put-it-all-together part of her French cooking just doesn't work for me and my kitchen. That and I didn't have cognac for the flambe step.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
MaxTheKnife
Genuine Arkansas Peckerwood

I will have to take a cold tater and wait on this one. It could have been better....
Old 04-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

I thought it was terrific! The best I've ever eaten.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
MaxTheKnife

I'm going to bed. This weekend has killed me. I'd like to die peacefully.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

I had a grilled cheese sandwich. Looked at the clock and needed to eat something quick because my cut off time was almost here. I have an ultra sound in the morning and couldn't eat after 6pm, I can have all the water I want but no food.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
MaxTheKnife

Well, we had menudo for breakfast this morning and I have to admit its the best I've had so far too. Some things are better the second time around and menudo is one of them. I think next time I make it I'll do it all on the same day instead of spreading it out over the weekend. BG pretty much let me take over this project and I enjoyed it. It's a lot of work for a pot of soup, but we both really like it so I guess its on the menu now.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Tonight we had baked chicken seasoned with dry Ranch Dressing mix, stirfried asparagus with egg noodles and the last of the German Chocolate Cake.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
Thymeless
Member Level 2

Made yesterday for today and tomorrow...roast: beer can chicken, bread crumb dressing, gravy from giblets (no liver), corn on the cob........oh yum!

Shucky darn, DH had to empty a half can of beer for this recipe...it was lovely, moist and tender!
Old 04-05-2011, 12:19 AM   #11
Feather

We had a nice homemade pizza covered with two kinds of bacon and lots of cheese tonight along with cheese bread. I think there's even left overs.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:20 AM   #12
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

I really wanna move to Blue Geckos house...they eat some yummy sounding stuff there.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:28 AM   #13
Feather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
I really wanna move to Blue Geckos house...they eat some yummy sounding stuff there.
Do you know what is in menudo? The stuff I've seen is made with tripe, cows stomach. Sorry, just not my idea of what I want to eat.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #14
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Laughing... do you eat processed meat, sausage, hot dogs Feather? I use to work in a pork processing plant and thats one of the reasons we make our own. We like to know how are food is handled and we're not afraid to try foods that are considered "normal" in many parts of the world. There is a lot of wonderful things we as Americans shun. I guess we're a little spoiled. Go Figure.

Tonight we had Salmon patties with ranch dressing, cole slaw and green beans seasoned with homemade bacon.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #15
Feather

I don't eat sausage, hot dogs or processed meat. Mostly because the stuff you buy at the store seems to have so much salt in it and I try to keep the sodium down so my feet and legs don't inflate. The only sausage I eat is Italian made in the store and has no sodium in it. I talked to the butch about it and he assured me that they use the leftovers from the pork they cut but they don't get a the stuff used to make hot dogs in so it's not in their sausage. From looking at the mix, it is low in fat for sausage.

I'd love to have our own pigs and cows but in the city we can't do that. I know what's in the processed stuff. A friend of my folks worked for a pork porcessing plant and told us they use everything but the oink Oh, and I have tried menudo but I didn't like the texture of the tripe. I figured it was clean, I washed it before I made the stuff. I'm just a picky eater and am kind of scared to try new things. My Dad used to tell me I would have gone hungry on the farm.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #16
occupant
Infosponge

Last night I took something out of the freezer that I thought was spaghetti sauce, whoops was chili. It was the spicy stuff too Ok so penne pasta bake idea became a huge nacho instead.I used up a bunch of leftovers so that was a good thing indeed.Cheap too!
Old 04-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #17
MaxTheKnife

I guess we're a bit behind in sharing our menu lately. It's been a bit disjointed for the past week for some reason. So I'll start with lastnights dinner and maybe BG will help fill in some of the holes.

We had made plans to go to the Longpool camping area near here and spend some time with BG's 'boys', the Pirates. And since Friday nights are steak nights, we wanted to contribute to the pot and also take our own steaks. Well, BG was hooked up with one client and then had to take her daughter to the dental surgeon for wisdom teeth removal. That left me to gather poke sallet and work up a mess for the get together. It was my first time to make a big batch like that and let me tell you it is rather involved. I picked enough poke to fill a #10 washtub and then proceeded to 'peel' it in preparation for boiling and draining. It was a 2 hour ordeal, but I had fun with it.

If you've never had (or prepared) poke sallet, I can sympathize. But this is early spring and all the poke was nice and young, so most all of the plant can be utilized. You start by washing it and removing each leaf, one at a time, while stripping the tough fiberous part along the vein of each leaf. Then you remove the tough fiberous covering on the stalk. That's very time consuming. Then chop the stalks and leaves up and stuff it all into a big pot and fill with enough water to cover it and boil it a bit then pour off the water and mix in the ingrediments you've been sauteeing (chopped bacon, onions and fresh garlic with lots of bacon grease).

After draining the poke and letting it stand in a collander for a few you combine the sauteed ingrediments with a half stick of butter and keep warm. Then on to the cornbread! BG got home in time to make the cornbread, thank goodness.

So we took the cornbread and poke sallet to the get together and the boys fed us steaks and green beans and baked potatoes and their special carrots. A good time was had by all and we came home with our steaks unused! So it looks like there will be some red meat in our menu soon. The poke sallet turned out very nice (with BG's help) and was mostly gone by the end of dinner. We brought home enough to have for at least one meal, possibly two with enough left over to make a batch of poke sallet cornbread. Poke sallet is similar to spinach, but not by much. It has a complex flavor you just have to experience for yourself. But it's good I guarantee!!! Not bad for something thats considered a weed...
Old 04-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #18
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Max did a wonderful job on that poke sallet! If you've never tried it and you like "greens" then its worth giving it a go. If its early in the season you can get away with one boiling. Any later in the year as the stems turn pinkish you have to boil it a second or even a third time. Some people scramble it with eggs but the way Max made it is my personal favorite.

This week has been pretty busy so we had to think about what we've been eating. Fish has been the mainstay: battered cod, salmon patties, stuffed sole with tempura shrimp. Tonight "the Boys" are smoking ribs. I'm not sure what we'll be adding to the fare but we'll come up with something.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #19
Coyote
Senior Level 2

It's been a very cold spring here so far. Little or nothing green in the woods or even in the garden. Heck, even my chives aren't doing anything. If I look under the mulch I can see the garlic has sprouted though.

About the only wild food I can up with lately is fish, so fish it has been for quite a while. Fish and store bought veggies. The asparagus and broccoli from the supermarket has been pretty good and cheap.

Sooo... last night it was steamed pollack, asparagus and broccoli with some Chardonnay to wash it down.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #20
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Coyote, Have you ever looked into edible kelp?

Old 04-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #21
Coyote
Senior Level 2

No I haven't. Got any info?
Old 04-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #22
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

I'll start a thread in the foraging room.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #23
Feather

Tonight I made a nice corned beef. This one came out more tender then the last one.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #24
Greta

This is the only day I cook anymore. I made tuna casserole, steamed carrots, loaf of homemade wheat bread (which is rising now) and sliced up a fresh pineapple. I am pretty sure that pineapple has a lot of food miles on it. I didn't even look at the label to see where it came from. Oh, and salad from the garden. The broccoli bolted before we could eat any of it.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:48 AM   #25
Feather

I had left over corned beef and DH had biscuits and gravy thanks to DGS's Dad. DH even said it's as good as his Mom's, people used to come from all over north central Iowa to eat at his folks' diner. He shared some of the biscuits they gave him.

Tags
2011, april, cookin, thread, whatcha